RW Forum Six – Sub 2.50 Kier with Parkrunfan

721 to 740 of 981 messages
24/02/2013 at 13:14

Great report Keir - and an even better performance.

Make sure you recover well - I'm sure it will have helped a lot once the training benefit comes through. Where was it run?

TR
24/02/2013 at 13:18

Keir - winner winner chicken dinner ! (its what my youngsest says anyway). Top of the Podium ! FF be wise for a while now though.

24/02/2013 at 13:23

It was at Chislet - near Herne bay and Canterbury DS2.

True PMJ. It did become a race mentally, but that helped to pass the time. However if someone had caught me on that final lap I would have let them go. Bigger picture of training without too much fatigue and remaining between 8 - 8.30 (MP + 90 - 120sec) was the priority. 

I feel a bit stiffer in my legs than I did after the Kent Coastal (MP + 55sec), but the weather and distance could be partly responsible for that. I have a progressive 20m at Thanet next weekend and had planned a 26.2 training run 4 weeks out, but will consult with PRF closer to the time about whether this run is needed. 

24/02/2013 at 13:24

ok TR

24/02/2013 at 14:49

Keir - whoop whoop chicken soup! (as my son says!)  Great report and great race!  So exciting.  Love the tactics of switching the torch on and off!  Very well done.  I might think about you in bed again tonight.

24/02/2013 at 15:05

Ah just seen Keir's report. The torch tactic is a good idea and is used at the pointy end of very big races.  Fuelling strategy seems to have gone well. 4h32 for 33m sounds about right, very similar to my pace over similar distance so that must mean Keir was not going flat out and should have plenty left in the tank for the real goal mara.  50 miler next? 

PMJ are you considering the Kent Coastal? It can be quite a gruelling race, not a fast course.

24/02/2013 at 15:35

Keir - that's a blinding run, well done. I ran a bit of that coastline yesterday morning and i can vouch for the severity of that North Easterly

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 15:35
24/02/2013 at 15:49

Keir - Great report and it seems a perfect execution of what we were looking for.

Two wins already in this build up then, we're going to have to start calling you Champ

There are no mentions of 'digging deep' or having to dredge the deep mental resources, so I dont think you're going to find the recovery too bad at all. There is nothing magical about 26.2 in the sense that once you go past it there is significantly more damage, that is only the case if close to maximum pace.

I think your question about the 26 four weeks out is very optional after that and I'd probably be inclined to cap long runs in the 20-22 region now for the rest of the run in. Just concentrate on using LSRs to promote efficient fat burning, theres no need to go overly long for that.

Just play it by ear with easy runs here and there for the next few days and then pick it up again when you're feeling strong again but really good boost to your training in the bag there. Great confidence building stuff, well done .

24/02/2013 at 15:51
Poacher wrote (see)

PMJ are you considering the Kent Coastal? It can be quite a gruelling race, not a fast course.

No plans yet. Rough idea is the Newcastle Town Moor marathonat the end of October. No 20 milers roundabouts (don't seem to be autumn 20s) then to race so won't be doing one, so need to work out if I do a marathon easy or a long solo run etc. May do the Chiltern marathon: LDWA and just £5 to enter so nice low beat easy one. http://www.chilternmarathon.org.uk/

24/02/2013 at 18:38
Monster stuff Keir. Gala gala chicken tikka masala ( as I'm sure no one has ever said). Great experience and fantastic for mental toughness.

That's quite enough of that sort of thing now.
24/02/2013 at 19:06

Well done Keir.  Excellent win!!

24/02/2013 at 19:28
Frazerelli wrote (see)
Monster stuff Keir. Gala gala chicken tikka masala ( as I'm sure no one has ever said).

Google:  No results found for "Gala gala chicken tikka masala".

24/02/2013 at 19:39
Do I get a prize?
24/02/2013 at 20:00

Maybe, but I bet it won't be as shiney as mine. 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/521453/gallery/p1130343.gif?width=350

24/02/2013 at 20:07

That is the exact definition of "small winners trophy". Size doesn't matter though, a win is always a win.

24/02/2013 at 20:27

And after all, ashtrays will be in very much in demand when all that nonsense about smoking being unhealthy is disproved

24/02/2013 at 20:45
Hey, I've just finished listening to Scott Durek's 'Eat and Run', and was transported back to it with Keir's race report, right down to the headtorch tactics. Well done Keir, great result, you stuck it to them. Oompa loompa stick it up your jumper
24/02/2013 at 21:06

Nice bling, Keir, but your Duraglit costs must be starting to get a bit out of control now

And probably best not transfer your headtorch tactics to your driving activity - unless of course you've robbed a bank and are making your getaway, in which case it would be perfectly acceptable behaviour

My week looks fairly uneventful in comparison!

24/02/2013 at 21:13

I don't know PRF. 4 races in 7 days plus a LSR is hardly uneventful! Nice consistent MP run today after the mileage, 5ks and XC. Looks like a solid week planned for next week as well.

24/02/2013 at 21:25

Weekly Summary - Week 4 of magic8.

I started to week on a bit of a downer, with similar pains which put me out of VLM this time last year. Luckily I was able to save weeks in misdiagnosis and with frequent, targeted stretching and a massage I could slowly feel the pain easing. After 2 days of zero running, I tested myself with 8 progressive miles as part of a 12m MLR on Weds and was pleased with some positive signs, although cautious not to push things too much.

Another steadly 11m MLR on Thur and easy 5m on Friday made 28m for one of the lightest working day weeks for a long time. However I made up the mileage with my first ultra - the Moonlight challenge in which I covered 32.75m in 4hr 32mins. Perhaps I should have covered a further 1/4 mile today to round things up properly, but I think I'll still claim 61 miles for the week in the log. 

The first 4 weeks of the magic8 haven't gone too well. A cold, a disappointing 10k and then many aches and pains have meant that some sessions haven't gone as smoothly as I owuld have hoped. However LSRs have progressed 16 / 22 unfuelled / 22 fast finish / 33m and total volume has been good at 50, 72, 61, 61. Best of all, I feel motivated and ready for the up coming key 4 weeks 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.