RW Forum Six – Sub 2.50 Kier with Parkrunfan

941 to 960 of 985 messages
17/04/2013 at 07:37
Keir wrote (see)

So I plan to set out around 6.50s and see how that feels.

Martin H wrote (see)

If you want some company on Sunday and see a purple fairy, give me a shout!!!

Those paces won't line up to coincide a meet, I am sure Martin will be out 10 to 20 seconds a miel faster. I will be at the Lucozade station at mile 23 just before the tunnel so I will give a shout if I see you.

17/04/2013 at 21:25

Picked up my number from the expo this afternoon. Also used the voucher in the magazine to buy £10 of Lucozade gels and stuff and £15 on a 15 pack of beetroot juice. I visited Sweatshop as I heard that they sold off tried and returned trainners. However apparently these won't be there till Friday or Saturday.

Probably will have a day off tomorrow. 

18/04/2013 at 10:40

Good luck Keir and prf on Sunday and good luck on the trainer hunt, both of you

Keir – you asked about my turboing, didn’t really get going with it in the end. I found that I can run on the treadmill pain free so have joined a local gym. I then got a sore throat virus type thing just as I was getting going again. I had a couple of good runs yesterday, one outside one on a treadmill, it gives me hope that I can start to build up again.
As for trying the Hadd approach, maybe, not decided how to approach focussed training just yet. Some way to go before I get there mind. Maybe something for me to consider in May.

18/04/2013 at 11:07

YD - I have new Green Silence's so that sets me up for the next 3 VLMs

Keir - I trust you know the side effect of beetroot juice? If not, you may be having a worrying dash to your docs

Had the last race last night, which was the next in the Sth Yorks Road League 5 milers. These always feel harder than they should after 3 days with no carbs.

A steadyish 5 at 6:30s was the planned outline on what was mainly an up and down the Trans Pennine Trail course.

It was going ok until just after 4 miles I was greeted with the sight of the finish line.

Apparently all 350 of us went the wrong way early on

It keeps the pattern of planned 5 milers in marathon week going though:

VLM 2012 - 5 mile road league. Crashed at 4.5 miles and dropped out.

Chester 2012 - 5 mile track session. Crashed at 4.25 miles.

VLM 2013 - 5 mile road league. Felt good but the race crashed at 4.23 miles!!

How fitting

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 11:10
19/04/2013 at 09:36

Good consistency there PRF

19/04/2013 at 09:54

Keir: Just popping in to wish you (and the other speedsters on here) best of luck on Sunday . My race (Hamburg marathon) starts 2 hours earlier than London but with your kind of pace we'll probably finish at the same time

19/04/2013 at 10:21

Consistency indeed, Keir!

I'm hoping that on the same basis that we'll be greeted with the sight of the Finish line at about the 22 mile mark on Sunday

Looking like perfect conditions for a meander around the London sights.

19/04/2013 at 11:31

Keir, PRF and anyone else racing this weekend.

The very best of luck and dont go off too quickly !!

20/04/2013 at 08:33
Best of luck Keir and PRF.

I know your campaign hasn't gone as planned Keir, but thank you for taking part in this and sharing the ups and downs. I've certainly learned a lot from you and PRF and I hope you enjoy it tomorrow and smash it in the Autumn!
20/04/2013 at 12:53

Thanks guys

Best of luck to everyone running, especially PRF. Thanks so much for all your support and advice.

Hopefully see you guys on route. I am number 30831 - yellow RNLI top and black shorts.

Enjoy the day guys! 

20/04/2013 at 14:02
Good luck tomorrow keir, can you post your race number so we can track you.
20/04/2013 at 14:52
Good luck keir. Hope to see you in the pub afterwards.
20/04/2013 at 22:00

Give 'em hell Keir, you know you want to

21/04/2013 at 10:34

If anyone is tracking at home, Keir went through 5k in 20:26, 2:52 pace. 

21/04/2013 at 11:37

Half way splits:

TR: 1:27.04
Keir: 1:27.16
prf:  1:28.01

21/04/2013 at 13:41
Keir top work today fella, takes some balls going out hard like you did today considering the disrupted training. Plenty to be proud of and to build on.
21/04/2013 at 21:24
Poacher wrote (see)

Give 'em hell Keir, you know you want to

Although I didn't see your post before the event, that is pretty much what I did Poacher!

Cheers YD. It could be argued as stupid rather than ballsy - but I just felt 'what's the point of plodding. Better to burn out than fade away! 

I got to the red GFA early at 8am, bumped into an ex club mate who runs very similar 5k - HM times to me and was after a fast marathon. Decided on the spur of the moment, I've trained so hard (although not consistently for this) and that as sub 3 doesn't really hold much motivation (having already done that) I might as well go for a pb attempt and run with him. Nice to bump into Martin H for a brief chat as well.

The seperate pen thing was totally unmanned so the slower GFA were mixed with the faster GFA, which caused a bit of congestion early, but I suspect that it was them who paid more dearly by getting too carried away.

I'll add splits later from the website, but basically miles 1-4 were fast but downhill, 4-8 felt a bit too fast and shold really have stopped and recalabrated if I was sensible, but decided to push on and see what happens. Saw Jools at Cutty Sark who looked good, but the speed  went past her again should have caused alarm bells.

Went through 10m about 66mins, but was feeling it and as soon as we hit Tower Bridge I knew my day was over. I tried to ease back, but the matches had been burnt. Jools looked comfortable as she disappeared running close to my ex-clubmate in the distance. By 15m I walked whilst I downed a bottle and did the same when I had a gel at 17m by 18m the 259 pacer went past, which was a bit of a relief as there was now no time target or pressure on, so I jogged on. At 21m I caught up with the ex-club mate who was walking and decided to jog in with him, pacing and encouraging. We had to stop for 2 mins when he had bad cramps and also I walked the water stations with him. At 1m to go he stopped again for water and insisted I run on, so continued to cross the line 1.13.01 whilst he came in 4mins+ later.

Shook Richard Branson's hand, plodded to the bag collection, finally found the RNLI hotel, massage, bath and food then made my way home via train (no longer free!) and car. Got in the door and jumped on by kids, goodie bag ravaged and medal knicked, only to be covered in yoguart witin 5 mins! 

Thanks so much PRF. I am looking forward to hearing how you got on. I've learnt so much from this whole process and am looking forward to getting my body properly in order to have a proper crack at Abingdon.

Good to hear that TR was consistent as always. The man knows himself so well, he must run on clockwork!

22/04/2013 at 07:13

Good work under the circs Keir, you did what you could and paced it really well towards the end. A long hard journey and I'm sure you've developed a lot as a runner. See you in Abo maybe.

22/04/2013 at 08:15

Split  Pace

5K 04:06

10K 04:04

15K 04:09

20K 04:16

HALF 04:11

25K 04:26

30K 04:46

35K 05:22

40K 05:27

Finish time 04:55

Surprised that I only had a 16min positive split. Felt much more!

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 15:23
TR
22/04/2013 at 18:46

Keir - well done for giving it full beans regardless of the build up.

941 to 960 of 985 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.