RW Forum Six – Sub 2.50 Kier with Parkrunfan

981 to 985 of 985 messages
24/04/2013 at 21:48

Dunce cap and detention for Fraser! 

Not sure about highs and lows. But here are a few brief reflections and learnings:

Pre marathon training through Nov and Dec following a HADD build went well and I could feel and measure progression in fitness, happily running 6 days per week, around 50+mpw.

Weeks 1 - 6 went really well. Sticking with a rest day every week I hit weekly mileage of 55, 53, 74, 57, 63, 73 - although I did have 2 days off over Xmas whilst a bit ill. LSRs built up to 22m by the end of this time and I also continued following a mainly HADD approach with 1x80min @ 80%max HR (sub LT) run per week and a steady MLR. By the end of this period I started preparing for PRFs 10m progressive runs with some MLRs ending with 4-5 progressive miles. Although hard sessions, these gave me quite a bit of confidence and I felt good winning a local muddy duathlon in mid Jan

Over the final 2 weeks of Jan I think my over confidence might have started my downfall. Following a 20m LSR in the snow on Sunday I ran a 16m still in the snow on Monday, a 17m run on Weds inc 7m@ marathon HR and followed that up with a bleep test and core workout. After a 22m the following Sunday I developed a cold.

Weeks 7 - 10 were 50, 72, 61, 61 and week 7 started with that cold but still continued to run with 2 early 5am starts to squeeze in 11m before work and was motivated to do well in a local fast 10k as I was pretty sure if not ill I would pb. Secretly hoping for a long 36min time, I was on pb pace (37.19) with 2k to go, but stitch and a breathing issue meant I completely stopped for 30sec and finished 50sec off my pb, pretty disappointed, although I could put it down to illness. 

Trying to put this behind me in week 8 I covered 70m, inc a pre-progressive 10m (7m @ 6.40m/m then 6.16, 6.00, 5.39) and a 2.5m @ 10k pace, along with a 22m unfuelled. It was on this run - around mile 16, that I first became aware of the hip issue - stopping my legs moving forward properly, resulting in a waddle stride. However it took another week of 60miles before I really recognised this issue.

Even so, I didn't back off, and ran 22m wth a fast finish while carrying the injury, then had to take 2 days off. In panic I then came straight back with a progressive 8m -6.57, 6.56, 6.49, 6.41, 6.34, 6.28, 6.14, 6.04 and an MLR. Despite the injury I still continued with the plan to run my first Ultra - the 33m moonlight ultra. Despite the cold, dark and snow, running 8.15m/m constantly seemed to settle the injury and I comfortably won the event.

In week 11, after resting my legs I was quite confident, but the injury soon returned and although I managed to hit 50m again for the week, the Thanet 20m didn't go as well as planned. The first 10m were ok at 7.00m/m but the planned 10m @ PMP - 6.30m/m broke down after 7m with the hip issue really causing pain and I struggled to walk at all when I finished. After the previous 4 weeks of not quite hitting perfect training, illness and injury I really needed 4 good final weeks. So after this 20m race I became really worried.

Weeks 12 and 13 were pretty much written off, with 19m and 10m weekly totals. I spent the time visiting the physio and getting massages. Although this helped, I know it was all a bit too late. 

Although by week 14 I finally felt I could run pain free and tried to make up for lost time with 72m week it felt a struggle to run decent sessions and I felt tired. It wasn't long before I was ill again and just felt tired all the time. Motivation was pretty low at this point and the marathon felt like something I had to just get done and I wanted it all over so I could be free of the chore. 

So things I have learnt:

1. Underlying niggles and issues, although appear fine at lower mileages, unless addressed will come back and find you out.

2. Despite pressure to move forward, if tired, recover first. I think many of my sessions, especailly the faster ones were compromised and the early mornings took their tool

3. Take into account family. work and weather issues. They all affect training, health and illness.

4. Don't take too much confidence or despondency from races in the build. Easier said than done, but they should be seem more as intense training sessions rather than form guides.

5. 5k @ 10k pace is a tough session to do by yourself. It might well be worth a trip to a park run to get th session done well.

I am sure there are other things as well.

One thing though, I do intend to follow the plan PRF set for me on this thread when I run an autumn marathon (hopefully Abingdon). One of my main weaknesses is speed endurance and I feel that the progressive 10m will be key in tackling this.

TR
24/04/2013 at 22:16

well played Keir, you learn more from the bad runs and ruined campaigns than the good ones. You were doing so well with the Hadding and then did get a bit carried away in the snow. Its a marathon during the build up as well as on the day, and they both need pacing and a lot of match saving along the way. Do not underestimate the affect of life stress, your life is a busy and stressful one. The downs of the rollercoaster make the ups all the better. Keep plugging away.

02/05/2013 at 21:45

Keir, that's a good read. Self analysis (and criticism) is a tough old game and even tougher going public with it. I think you already know that you will come back stronger. Stick with it and you will have your reward.

M...eldy    pirate
15/12/2013 at 18:25

Ladies & Gents

We are due to run this little group again this year, if you would like to be part of the process or indeed would like to grass someone up that I can approach for a mentor then please let me know  .. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
981 to 985 of 985 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.