RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

1,981 to 2,000 of 2,270 messages
22/05/2013 at 22:42

I did my first speed/interval session yesterday since london marathon, the aim was km reps after a 2 mile warm up. I decided to run 5 x 1 km @ 6:35 min/mls with 2.5 mins recovery @ 9:13 min/mls, followed by a cool down mile....it was great to be back doing intervals, I loved it, so satisfying. 

Today I just went on the exercise bike for 30 mins after work before they closed the gym...made a nice change and hopefully the (small amount of) cross training will help my running

23/05/2013 at 09:16

Sarah, Andy, I know you're both right about the club! My problem is that both the local ones have the same problem of starting their training a bit early for me to get back from London in time wihtout being in a rush having not eaten.  I've looked at others that are less track focussed, and although some of them start their training a bit later, they are more of a drive away, so I have the same problem.  I did used to be part of one of the Colchester althletics clubs when i was kneehigh to a grasshopper... I was particularly good at the standing long jump then (rather like grasshoppers are )

Sounds like you did an awesome speed session!!!

I've done no training since Sunday.  Had a weird throaty cold think started on Sunday night, so had Monday and Tuesday off- was gonna go for a run last night as I was starting to feel better, then I just couldn't stop coughing... bleurgh,- so went for the blue inhaler that seemed to help!

I'm meant to do a mile race on Sunday and the 10k on Monday, but given this week, I think I should forgo the mile- its not like I've done any training for it anyway, and just go for the 10k, just to see if I can beat my pb, if only by a second!

23/05/2013 at 17:40

Hi Angela,

Ours is a road running club, we don't have access to a proper track, although the local park has an large oval circuit which we use for speed training in summer.

I can certainly understand that with your commute it might be tricky to get back in time - I'm not working silly hours at the moment but it's still a rush for me to get home, sort myself out and then get there for 7.30pm, and I don't manage to get there every week anyway because I have other stuff on. They do go out on a Saturday and Sunday morning as well though and have a good turnout at races and parkruns so I still manage to keep in touch even if I can't there on weeknights.

I hope you are feeling better in time for Monday anyway.   

23/05/2013 at 19:49

Hi Andy, yup, the Colchester harriers which I think would be the right one for me starts their Tuesday and Thursday training sessions at 630... I usually don't get to Colchester station until 7pm.  If I worked in Colchester that would probably be plenty of time to go home and have a snack before going out.  Parkrun is certainly helping to make me feel more a part of the running community here, so I know a bunch of them even if I can't join the club just yet.  

unfortunately the track isn't available to the public at other times as its owned by the army, so it's their exclusive use the rest of the time, still, it's a facility I'd love to be able to use...

24/05/2013 at 13:05

Hi Angela, I don't really get to train with either of my clubs. I have done three training runs with knavesmires since I joined them a year ago and the last time I ran with my first claim club was about 6 weeks ago now. You dont have to run with them that often but when you do it makes a nice change and you get to meet new people. You also get a discount on race entry and in some sport shops and you get access to lots of closed races. 

I use to like the long jump when I was younger. My parents use to help train the local TA's..I would go down and have a go on everything when I was a kid. I loved it.

Sorry to hear that you havent been feeling too great. there is a funny viral typeinfection  circulating giving people a sore throat followed by a cold. Fingers crossed youve seen the back of it now. I would still be tempted to do the mile race...would be great to see how fast you are over the mile (as long as you warm up first). Might actually help your 10k by getting your legs moving again?

Hi Andy what are your plans for this weekend?

I did my LSR in the gym today as its far to cold, wet and windy outside. I was quite disappointed when I woke up and saw the weather as I had been looking forward to getting out. I decided to aim for 15 miles, the first hour i did it on the hill setting, level 2 (incline between 0-2.2%) and the second hour 

24/05/2013 at 13:09

I set at level 1 (0-1.5% incline). I decided to do the first 5 miles slow, starting off steady and increasing my pace to 8:20 m/m, then the second 5 miles I did at hopefully my MP in october (7:24 min/mls) and then the last 5 miles at 8:20 m/m, speeding back up slowly to 7:30 min/mls for the last 10 mins. I felt surprisingly ok except for the last 30 mins...that took some effort to get through. I think I was mentally bored by this time...running outdoors is far more pleasant, interesting and fun!

24/05/2013 at 17:05

Hi Sarah,

We're going up to Glasgow this weekend to see my brother then going to Edinburgh until Thursday, and I'm not sure if I'll get any running in during that time. I did 11 miles this morning on the way to work.

24/05/2013 at 20:05
Hi all! Hope you have got nice plans made for this Bank Holiday weekend. I've got my sensible head screwed on for Sunday and planning to treat it as a LSR. Hip has still been giving me a bit of pain but I managed 8miles at 8mm average pace on Wednesday. I been using my foam roller and doing lots of stretches to try to release the tightness. I haven't been feeling as excited about this race as I was for VLM but when I was preparing my stuff for Sunday last night I did start to look forward to it. Is it wrong of me to be enjoying this carb loading malarkey? As I haven't been running as much I have been watching what I have been eating and it's been so nice to eat bread.
Andy, I think you might have been disappointed if you came over to watch the marathon. It should really be renamed the East Lothian marathon as only the first 4 miles are in Edinburgh. It even finishes in Musselburgh which is about 6 miles outside the town. It is a nice run along the coast and well supported by the locals.
25/05/2013 at 11:15

Work has been crazy the last week or two so not been on much. 

Just checking in to wish you all the best for tomorrow Dotty. Even treating it as an LSR a 26 mile trek is still going to be tough. It may even be harder mentally than racing it because you're not doing it at your normal faster pace and you'll be on your feet for longer.

Sorry to hear that the hip is still painful. Maybe the marathon will give you a system reset? I've had that before with foot problems that disappeared afer the race was over. Just plain weird.

No, it is not wrong to enjoy carbo loading I have just had a toasted teacake as an act of solidarity. 

Have a great day and let us know how it goes.

Andy - we're off to Glasgow too on Sunday evening. Are we on the same flight?  [sleazyjet 9:45pm]

We're not going to see your brother though

I'm only good for reading two posts back, will have to catch up later. Hope everyone is oing well. 

25/05/2013 at 22:01

Hope you have a fantastic break in glasgow and edinburgh Andy. Well done on getting 11 miles in aswell, before work. I dont think I would be able to get up early enough to manage that.

Good luck for tomorrow Dotty. Looks like its going to be a warm one again tomorrow, so taking it as a LSR is probably a good idea. The edinburgh half marathon was the first half I ever ran. We stayed in musslebrough so we could walk back to our hotel after the race, but I didnt think it was a very nice place. Edinburgh on the otherhand is fantastic. My friend ran edinburgh marathon last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didnt enjoy carbo loading when I did it as a practice run as I struggled to eat enough, but I did enjoy it before london.

Malcs hope you have a fantastic time in Glasgow too...I feel like im missing out!!

No running for me today, had a complete day of rest...drank far to much alcohol last night on my friends leaving do, I couldnt even sit up without feeling dizzy and lightheaded until gone 2pm. Woke up still fully clothed with my contacts still in.......dont think I will be doing that again for a while, quite enjoyed having all my weekends illness/hangover free with not drinking as much whilst training for london!

25/05/2013 at 23:19
Thank you for all your good luck messages. Kit all set out for tomorrow. Feel fully carb loaded and hydrated, just got to set alarm for 7am (porridge time!) Luckily I don't have far to travel to the start line, just a 15 minute walk. Race starts at 9.50am. Weather is looking good for tomorrow so must remember to put on some sun cream.

Hope the hangover has eased. I feel the same as you regarding hangovers. I love a good night out but I am so annoyed at myself the next day if I waste it by feeling ill.

Well guess I better try and get some sleep now!
26/05/2013 at 08:07

Dotty - hope it goes well today. Excellent tanning weather! 

Sarah - hope you'be recovered! 

26/05/2013 at 08:09

Go Dotty!

26/05/2013 at 15:45
Hi guys, just back home. Em, one thing I forgot to pack this morning was my sensible head! It was a great day for running, the sun was out for the walk to the start but it got a bit overcast for the start of the race. I did try to go off at a slower pace but I guess the competitive side of me kicked in. I've not got the official time yet but my watch says 3.23., so same as London.
26/05/2013 at 19:28

Well done Dotty!! Looking forward to the full race report!

no running for me- have to miss my mile race today and 10k tomorrow as this cold is most definitely below the neck... Horrible hacking cough- really not feeling well today, anoff course as its bank holiday, a long time before I can see a doctor!!! Grrr

26/05/2013 at 20:54

Brilliant Dotty. Well done! 

27/05/2013 at 00:47

Well done Dotty, I hope you can post up a report tomorrow  

27/05/2013 at 19:31

Haha, well done Dotty, thats a fabulous time (again) after your recent marathon, niggles and taking it steady, .  You must be so happy. How have you felt today?

Cant wait to hear your race report. Did you feel better/the same/worse than during VLM?

Minni, im happy to say that ive made a full recovery from friday night. I saw one of my friends today and was filled in with what I drank and did that night....I understand why I still woke up drunk on saturday morning and why my hangover was a good one!!! Are you back running now and have you bought your bike yet?

Hows the holiday Mr P?

Sorry to hear that your unwell Angela, have you managed to see a doctor at all? Sounds like you may need antibiotics if its on your chest, and your asthmatic. Hope you managed to get something and your starting to feel better. Sorry that you had to miss your races.

I havent ran today as I have my next 10k race in the York league tomorrow evening so I have saved my legs. I did run a steady 10 miles down by the river yesterday however and really enjoyed it finally being able to do a training run in gorgeous weather, My average pace was 8:20 min/mls and I felt comfortable all the way. Spent the day in knaresborough today, visiting mother shiptons cave. The cave was a little disappointing but i was impressed with knaresborough.

27/05/2013 at 19:50
Hello all! Hope you've all had good bank holidays. I've been working, luckily legs felt ok this morning and there are no stairs to climb at work. I did have to burst a rather annoying blister under one of my big toenails before putting shoes on. It had kept me awake most of the night as the pressure built up under the nail. ( sorry if any of you are eating when reading about that!) I'll try and write a wee race report.

How's your cold today, Angela? What a shame you had to miss your races but I think you made the right decision.
27/05/2013 at 20:21

Hello, thanks for the support guys I was ranked #30 in run Britain most improved runner this month so was hoping with today's 10k I could have made it to the top 10 and won the headphones, but yesterday it was obvious that wasn't going to happen- only thing I'm taking at the moment is benylin mucus cough... The coughing is much less frequent now and the phlegm is looking a more healthy yellow than the horrid dark green it was yesterday (dotty I figured i'd join u in the graphic images) in general I'm feeling better though I do come over all hot and clamy from time to time, so I'm not sure whother to see the dr or not.  I feel a bit short changed that I've spent most of my long weekend wrapped in a duvet and generally not having a good time.

good luck in ur 10k tomorrow Sarah!  Now I've got to find one I can do when I'm healthy it's becoming a bit of a thing now that I haven't beat my 2008 pb!!

1,981 to 2,000 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.