RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

201 to 220 of 2,270 messages
31/12/2012 at 11:48
sarah tinsel toes osborne wrote (see)
Morning. Minni I found the pace ok, legs felt fine up until the last .5 mile and then I could start to feel them tire, but I guessing that had something to do with the park run yesterday and walking around Whitby all day as I know last week my legs felt fine up to 13 miles and only started to tire at 13-14 miles.

Yes I agree Sarah the parkrun would still be in your legs yesterday.  It'll be interesting to see how your 15 goes and how you tire.  This is when you need to be more aware of your pace and make sure you keep it in check.  You need to get the long runs built up and if you're legs start to tire now at 13 - 14 miles you need to make sure you slow down so you can go further.   Your speed is already good and get the endurance side right and you'll be flying around London in 4 months time. 

Mr Puffy - are you following a schedule?

Andy  - I must have a look at the RW schedules.  Sound like 26m is a nice gentle start.

Brolish - with you're excellent endurance I'm sure a couple of missed long runs now won't do you any harm.

Hilly - I hope the wind isn't too bad.  I've just been out and its much worse than yesterday here.

31/12/2012 at 12:01
Minni wrote (see)
Yes I agree Sarah the parkrun would still be in your legs yesterday.  It'll be interesting to see how your 15 goes and how you tire.  This is when you need to be more aware of your pace and make sure you keep it in check.  You need to get the long runs built up and if you're legs start to tire now at 13 - 14 miles you need to make sure you slow down so you can go further.   Your speed is already good and get the endurance side right and you'll be flying around London in 4 months time. 

Minni - dont forget to get some 'Spoons intervals' in Sarah's training plan. If I've got to do them then everyone should !! 

31/12/2012 at 15:23

I have always tried to follow the RW ultimate schedule with a few tweaks but I thought I'd look in on what Sarah was doing TBH.

I am just working it out, I'll post it if you like we can all have a laugh later.

31/12/2012 at 18:47

Well what an awful day that has been.....I wouldnt be suprised if I come down with something over the next 24-48 hours. Must have seen over 30 people with coughs, colds and flu like symptoms!! Better have extra vitamin c tonight and sleep better than I did last night!

Brolish wrote (see)

Sarah- I'm aiming to run 6 days a week in January which is what I'm doing at the moment. I made sure there's a treadmill in the hotel where we're staying and planning on getting all the runs in, it might just mean that I will cut one LSR short, I can't imagine doing 20m on a dreadmill to be honest. I am slightly worried about getting injured but will just have to be careful. I love my running but wouldn't miss out on all the fun in the snow!

Happy New Year to everyone, the hard work starts tomorrow! 

I think im going to have to bite the bullet and go for it. I use to love horse riding aswell and havent done that since I started running through fear of injury...think ive seen too much when I worked in A&E!

Hi Clive,  nice to hear from you. Hope you have a fabulous new year too.

My Puffy it sounds like you had a successful recovery run today. Im thinking about switching my runs on tue and wed so i can do the recovery run on tue (to recover from tonight) and the speed training on wed  Only kidding Minni!

Hi Andy, sorry to hear that youve been unwell, but im glad to hear that you have made a full recovery and are back on the road. Hope you had a good 4 miles today.

Minni wrote (see)
sarah tinsel toes osborne wrote (see)

Thankyou minni. I have all day on friday to run, so i will make sure I go at a steadier pace

Minni - dont forget to get some 'Spoons intervals' in Sarah's training plan. If I've got to do them then everyone should !! 

Carterusm.....now im panicking...tell me more?

Mr Puffy It would be good to compare schedules and steal any good bits!!

Hope everyone has a fabulous night tonight....HAPPY NEW YEAR..better get a move on and leave work

Edited: 31/12/2012 at 18:50
31/12/2012 at 18:52
Have a nice time tonight Sarah. Can't you just refuse to see people who may be carrying infectious diseases.? Do they realise you're in marathon training??!!
31/12/2012 at 20:33
I felt like doing that this year the closer I got to VLM. I think we should be able to wear surgical masks or work behind a glass window!
31/12/2012 at 20:59

Seriously Sarah, do you think you get more, less or average colds/flu?  I've always been told hand hygeine was the best defence, but I suppose if someone sneezes on you, you've had it?

V4D
31/12/2012 at 21:23
I'm right in the front line working with 4/5 year holds
We sent home 8 children from 2 classes on the last day. It's not a healthy environment.
01/01/2013 at 12:20

Hi Sarah, thanks for that - I managed my 4m yesterday and another six this morning, albeit with a bit of coughing and spluttering to start with both times, so I seem to be getting back to normal.

Happy New Year all!

01/01/2013 at 16:50

Hi- my lurgy is receding- I think I'm reasonably resilient- especially when I compare the rate I've got over this one to my "man-flu" afflicted colleagues. I don't catch too many bugs, but then not many people go to see a neurosurgeon when they have a cold!

Typical hogmanay on call- a few stupid injuries ariving this morinig needing fixed up, but I'm  off duty now- so left them in the tender hands of the next shift.

Marathon- my A race this spring is the Glasgow- Edinburgh double marathon- it will be my longest event ( I can't pretend to race" it) so far- previous longest would have benn 40 miles, but I got lost , sodid an extra mile or 2. GE is in early april, so I amy do a warm up marathon in march (not at full race pace, though). One of the girls on the Scottish runners thread is setting up a new marathon at Loch Katrine, so I may do that.

Ski-ing- I haven't usually made the effort to keep trainig whilst away, but 2 years ago I was out running in the -10 deg, mile and a bit- high altitude of colorado, just 2 short runs ( the cold air freezes in your nose), with spikes on my shoes- magic!

I think this time I'll stick to the gym- we are pretty lazy skiers- my OH is not quick to get up and going onto the slopes, so I can easily get a quick run in before he's ready. I'm usually more interested in a beer than anything else at the end of a day ski-ing!

01/01/2013 at 19:18

Hi Mr Puffy i dont want to speak too soon, but I would say that i get less coughs/colds etc than the majority. The last time I was ill was last february when I had whooping cough. Im terrible for washing my hands. I use the alcohol hand gel after ive touched anyone and inbetween patients and I also use soap and water between each patient to cover other types of bugs. My hands are always dry and uncomfortable as a result! I tend to drink about 4l of water a day and eat 10 portions of fruit and veg a day....think it helps strengthen my immune system!

Hi Vanessa, hows the training coming along? Think children are the worse to catch things off, doesnt help that they cough and sneeze all over you but you also dont know where their hands have been. Children always seem to pick loads up at the start of school/nursery and then pass it on to their adult relatives! Do you manage to escape catching things?

Hi Andy, glad to hear that you have managed a 4 and a 6 miler....its lovely to get back into it . Forgot to say yesterday....the only thing that appears to have changed at whitby was the 5 houses that they had to pull down. Must be terrible for the people that lived there.

Tricialitt I didnt realise that you was a neurosurgeon, wow. Neurosurgery has to be the most difficult type of surgery out there. Neurology is my favourite area of medicine, its so interesting. At one point I was thinking about doing neurology.

Poor you having to work on NY day. I was on call for eldery when I was an F1 on NY day....it was a horredous shift, not helped by the huge hangover that I had. Dont think ive had a drink the night before work since.

"warm up marathon" lol, im panicking about doing the one, i dont think i could ever do double the distance. Your run at your ski resort sounds like a rave run.

01/01/2013 at 19:38

Training Diary for forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 1, Day 2.

Speed session.

3.2 mile warm up starting at an easy pace of 9 min/mls and ending at a steady pace at around 8 min/mls, average pace 8:12 min/mls. This also included 5 x 100m strides

3 x 1 mile at an average 7.13 min/mls with 60 secs recovery inbetween 

(I thought I was only supposed to be doing 3 miles at half MP but on checking afterwards, it was supposed to be 1 x 4 miles at half MP opps )

2.25 mile cool down at an average 8.19 min/mls.

Total milage 8.45 miles

01/01/2013 at 20:41

Brilliant run Sarah.  How did it feel with the longer warm up?  And how did that HM pace feel?  I bet it wasn't too difficult....?

That's a really good session today.

Mr Puffy - what tweaks do you make?  Make sure you don't tweak out the things you need (something I've been guilty of doing in the past )

Tri - Glasgow to Edinburgh sounds like a challenging run.  What route does it take?  Road or off-road?

01/01/2013 at 21:16

That's a cracking pace Sarah. What time of day do you run?

Minni I put it in a spreadsheet to post up but it crashed.

I've always ignored the 3-4 mile Saturday recovery run in the RW schedule, and I think it's a bit light on Tempo runs, so I swopped some of the out and out speed sessions for Tempo, and some of the easy runs for a club night.

Tomorrow is a 5 mile easy run, just as well really, if I can't sleep I'll get it done before I leave for work

01/01/2013 at 21:56

Happy New Year folks!

Looks like a good run, Sarah!  You seem to hit your paces fine and 3 x1 miles is still a worthwhile effort! 

I think working in education or medicine should come with danger money

Just got back from a bit of parkrun tourism down south - stayed in Winchester last night then went to the Southampton and Netley Abbey parkruns this morning.  Didn't do them fast just a good steady run at both due to excesses last night, a dodgy tummy this morning and a very wet and muddy course at NA.   Parkruns this morning brought me up to 73 at 38 different venues - love going to parkruns around the country and off to Dublin a few weeks time.

Minni - how's your marathon training progressing? Do you write your own plan, follow one from someone else, but tweak it or don't bother with a plan?

01/01/2013 at 22:13

Hilly - how do multipal parkruns work with timings?  On certain days do they deliberately start at different times to allow people to travel between 2 or 3, or is it just coincidence?  Its 50 miles to my nearest one so not convenient for me to add them into training.

I signed my life over to Moraghan after my VLM 2011 so have my schedule written for me.  Training is progressing nicely - I like marathon training.  Did a 3 mile fell race today - 3 miles up, almost 2000ft with the finishing line on the top of the hill, then jog back down. Didn't warm up.....  

01/01/2013 at 23:08

Happy New Year Sarah! Sounds like you had a fab run today! It was actually a really nice day down this way too - lots of sunshine! Lovely for running!

02/01/2013 at 07:33
Morning. Not a good one though as I'm back to work again and didnt sleep very well last night. I was tossing and turning until at least 2:30 (when I last looked at the clock). Think it was either the alcohol from the night before and the sleep in, or the excitement from watching batman too close to going to bed!

Minni I felt great around all the run yesterday but was glad to swap from the quicker pace to the slower pace when the time was up. I don't think it probably helped that when I did the faster park I was running into the wind and up a very small incline though. Felt like I had done a good session afterwards which is always good! Like what sarah/RRR said, lovely conditions to be out running.

Morning Mr puffy. I ran at 15:00 yesterday (to ensure that I had recovered from Ny eve and re hydrated, and before it went dark), however I normally run after work at about 8pm or first thing in the morning at the weekend. How about you? Hope you had a good 5 miler today.

Hi hilly. Danger money sounds great...might suggest it to my employer!! Well done for doing all those park runs, you must travel alot to have been able to run at so many different venues...do you have a favourite?

Minni...your race must have been so tough yesterday. Well done for winning a prize in it aswell...very inspiring mentor.

Happy running today (mines a nice 3 mile recovery run after work).
02/01/2013 at 07:45
sarah osborne wrote (see)

Carterusm.....now im panicking...tell me more?

Hi Sarah

On the other thread (Spoons with Carterusm) Minni was joking that Spoons would make me do plenty of mile reps, something that I have never done before. Therefore, I was suggesting to her that if I had to do them then you should too 

Sounds painfull to me !

Have a good run later, I've got an easy 8 miler this evening.

Cheers

02/01/2013 at 07:55
Haha Carter - Sarah did some mile reps yesterday. Spoons is a nutter - thankfully Sarah got the kinder mentor!

Sarah - if you're running on an incline, into a headwind etc its ok to run at a slower pace so long as as the effort is there. However, I'm not I'm not very good at this and like to see that I've hit the paces - I suspect you are the same!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.