RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

321 to 340 of 2,270 messages
06/01/2013 at 21:18

Well done on the run Sarah - looks like training is going really well and Minni is looking after you!

What wildlife did you spot? When I go for runs through the local country park, I get to see all sorts - takes your mind off the tougher parts of the run

06/01/2013 at 22:23

Evening all. Some very good runs today by the sound of it so well done to everyone. I did 12 miles in 1hr 40m (8:20/mile) including a couple of miles at MP towards the end. I felt it a bit afterwards though so will heed the above advice to keep it slow for my LSRs for the time being. 

Sarah - thanks for passing on the advice re resistance work. I have printed out Sam Murphy's routine and will definitely give it a go. I would definitely recommend pilates (not tried yoga) - it can be difficult if, like me, you are not very flexible or co-ordinated, but most exercises have easier and harder options and as long as you have a good instructor who will give you a bit of personal attention to start with you will be fine. I find it definitely helps my core strength and posture.  

Regarding your new shoes, I would say it depends on how much wear you think you have left in your old ones. You have a LOT of running to do between now and 21st April so I wouldn't rush to start using your new shoes if you don't need to. 

Interesting to see Sheffield mentioned above - we are going up there for a weekend at the end of the month so may need some advice about where to go for my LSR on the Sunday morning. 

07/01/2013 at 14:49

LTB - I raised money for help the hospices last year, its such more rewarding when you can do it for a charity you admire and want to help. It also gets you through those tough times, when sometimes you may want to give up . Im hoping to do the national three peaks this year to raise money for a charity, but I havent decided which one as yet. Im not normally as disciplined!! I decided to put my compression socks on yesterday after my run (even though my legs felt fine), im not sure if they helped or not, but my legs felt great wearing them, as though they were helping! I looked at P&D again yesterday and it does suggest including some MP miles in the long run early on in training like you said...it seems to recommend doing them on alternate weeks.

Hi Steve, it was mainly birds that I saw, must have seen over 6 different species of small birds and some ducks and geese. Also saw some grey squirels and what seemed to be over a hundred dogs...all extremly well behaved and under control of their owner.

Afternoon Andy. Im so not flexible...I was useless at gymnastic at school - i didnt even learn how to do a cartwheel or hand stand! I will leave the new trainers a little longer then. I dont think I wear them in that much, on looking at my 5 month old ones, apart from the mud on them, they look hardly worn and are still very supportive. Where abouts in Sheffield are you staying?

07/01/2013 at 15:39

Hi Sarah, We will be in the Greenhill area.

07/01/2013 at 15:50

Andy - that's just down the road from where I am. You will be a 5/10 minute drive from the Peaks and some lovely runs

07/01/2013 at 22:10
Evening, just back from our club run, six-ish miles over 5 sections, with a good hill to boot. I really struggled last time we did this route, so the training structure is already paying off, comfortable at a faster pace, really pleased.

I'm not sure I agree about the shoes...I would wear my new ones now and alternate them so as to spread the,wear and extend the life of both pairs. It can't be good to go from a very worn pair into a brand new pair. But then again there was a girl here, also a doctor, who ran in the most worn out knackered shoes I have ever seen. They were literally falling apart but she never got injured.

What's the plan for the rest of he week Sarah? I'll rest or cross train tomorrow, Puffy junior has challenged me to a race on the rowing machines at the school gym.
07/01/2013 at 22:55

Evening Sarah!

Sounds as though the training is going really well! Loved your 'positives' and 'negatives' bit! You were better behaved than me though and didn't stop to take pics!

07/01/2013 at 23:23
Hi Andy, you should find some lovely runs out that way near abbeydale, whirlow, eccelsal, door, peaks etc, I think you will be spoilt for choice.

Will you be doing the south york championships (road races) Carterusm? have you done shef half? missed it last year as i went to wembley to watch united...wish id not bothered and done the race instead!

Evening Mr Puffy. Glad that the training is paying off and you had a good run today. I think thats what i would do when I start wearing my new trainers - only wear them on the shorter runs (and my older ones on the longer runs) until I bed them in alittle. I have a lot of netball this week unfort...already missing my running! I had netball training today and a match tomorrow...cant wait for the speed training/tempo run on wednesday now. Will be aiming for 16 miles on fri, short recovery run on sat and hopefully 10 on sunday. How about you?

Hi Sarah, sounds like you had a good longish run at MP today..im jealous. I have thought about taking the camera but would probably end up spending more time taking photos than running!
07/01/2013 at 23:28
Training Diary for forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 2, Day 8 Aim - cross training

Netball training restarted today so this evening I did 25 minutes of warm ups, drills and skills, followed by 4 x 10 minute quarters/easy game. I played WD for 3 quarters and C for one quarter.

Missed my running today (especially as I didnt get to run around as much as usual due to playing WD instead of centre)

Dying for a run tomorrow but I have a netball game, so my speed/tempo session has to wait until wednesday.
07/01/2013 at 23:46
Sams advice on resistance training;

Sarah - regarding strength/resistance training: it's fine to do on rest/ XT days but I don't recommend doing it prior to a run unless it's just a short easy one, as it may compromise your form and stability.
08/01/2013 at 07:29

Sill a good workout Sarah!  Its great when you find you're missing your runs and you're therefore itching to get out.

08/01/2013 at 09:47

Sarah, carterusm - thanks, that sounds really nice. It always makes a nice change to do a long run somewhere new, and if there's nice scenery as well it's even better!

08/01/2013 at 14:51

It is really gorgeous out there Andy, without doubt you will find an enjoyable run (although probably hilly)

New Autumn Marathon in York has just been advertised;

http://www.theyorkshiremarathon.com/?utm_source=launch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=YMlaunchdm

08/01/2013 at 14:55
Andy - if you want some off road routes in the peaks drop me a message and I will send you some links for some I've done. But as Sarah says some of them are quite hilly !
08/01/2013 at 15:28

Hi sarah, hope you are well? I am thinking I might do that Yorkshire marathon. I am looking for a suitable one for the autumn and date wise it suits quite nicely. I will need a good couple of months after my Lands End to John O'Groats cycle ride to have enough time to do the marathon justice so it should fit in ok.

Are you thinking about doing it?

08/01/2013 at 16:20

Having just run 3 miles for the first time in 10 days I am declaring myself officially back in the game!

Sarah - looks like you're doing incredibly well.

You're way ahead of me. I need to get back on building my base miles. I'd already done two good weeks before the lurgie hit so I need to get back on that and start increasing the long run. Can't see me doing any speed for at least another 4 weeks.

Before the man flu hit I remember reading on here about Sarah's netball and the consensus was she should continue with this as it'd be a benefit. I have a similar issue with rugby.

There's a bit more contact in Rugby of course, although I don't know how you play your netball Sarah - perhaps that gentle smiling exterior is just a front for the complete psychopath that lies beneath and only emerges on the netball court? 

Anyway, I'd be interested in any views. In past seasons I've just stopped when the fear of injury has risen above a certain threshold (mid Feb is usually the time). I'm sure I've had more injuries from running than I've had from rugby. 

08/01/2013 at 16:22

Oh - meant to say, that York marathon does look very tempting. I don't do well in the heat so late October would be perfect so long as we don't get an unexpected heatwave.

I will have to start my negotiations with Mrs Malcs.

08/01/2013 at 16:29

Hi Malcs, glad to hear you are back!  I have found it pretty beneficial in the past to carry on with team sports but if you have any particular injury worries you need to be careful. I have a problem with my back and hockey really causes issues so I have decided this year to knock it on the head. In truth, it's because I really need to give myself the best chance of hitting my goal this year so I'm not taking any chances.

Last year I played a bit of hockey and enjoyed being fitter only to crash my bike badly cycling into work and ended up in plaster, so injuries can happen at any time.

If I was you I'd carry on. Having a team interest stops you becoming too insular around the running and for an outgoing guy like you who works at home on your own a lot I think you probably need the camaraderie.

My legs are pretty sore now after running 9 miles this morning with 4 at HMP! Tomorrow I've got 11 miles - I imagine the first 2 or 3 might be interesting!

08/01/2013 at 16:36

Malcs - we could have a reunion of the bootcamp rejects! Nice city for a weekend - it's Mrs DS2's birthday that week so I will have to negotiate as well.

I'm not sure telling her that I've booked a weekend away for her and then getting up on the Sunday morning at stupid O'clock to run a marathon will go down too well!

08/01/2013 at 21:58
sarah osborne wrote (see)

Hi Steve, it was mainly birds that I saw, must have seen over 6 different species of small birds and some ducks and geese. Also saw some grey squirels and what seemed to be over a hundred dogs...all extremly well behaved and under control of their owner. 

I do love my wildlife - here's my David Attenborough DVD collection (!):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_8uCHKCMAETBFH.jpg:large

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.