RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

501 to 520 of 2,270 messages
23/01/2013 at 10:50

Morning Sarah!

I'm doing exactly the same as you ... hitting the treadmill for the intervals! Not sure I could manage anything over about a 9 min/mile on all the snow and slush!! Wow on doing 18 miles on the treadmills - that's AMAZING!! I struggle with anything over about 6 miles on the treadmill!

Also ... where's my presecription for cider and mulled wine?

23/01/2013 at 13:09

Another great session last night Sarah.   Well done.

Are the conditions any better today?

23/01/2013 at 21:47
Hi Sarah, hows your training going? I didnt think there was any point in risking it running intervals outside and I dont mind doing them on the treadmill anyway as your mind is preoccupied with the changes in speed and it ensures that you reach your target paces.

Mulled wine and cider are the perfect cure for a common cold (subjective evidence, no objective evidence from what im aware of).....they may possibly prevent them...will have to do a personal trial.

Hi Minni, how are you and your family after your devasting news yesterday? Did you manage a run today. Alot of the roads and paths are clear now but there are still a few icy spots in places. My netball match was cancelled tonight due to an icy pitch still.
23/01/2013 at 21:52
Training Diary for forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 4, (Day 23). Aim; netball match.

Due to a frozen pitch my match was cancelled tonight so I decided to do some resistance training and 60 mins on the exercise bike instead, whilst reading a medical journal

I had the programme set to hills, level 9 and managed to do just over 14 miles in 60 minutes (slightly less than my normal distance, so I must have not been trying as hard as usual).

Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow so that I actually get home at a reasonable hour, will be able to cook a proper meal for tea and I can catch up with all those odd tasks that are accumulating.
23/01/2013 at 22:17

Sarah - I really don't know how you can be bothered to go to the gym so much! Great way to get your reading done though.

The Minni household is a very sad one at the moment with loads of crying going on (mostly by me ).  I had a nice 12m run tonight along the coast - we still have too much snow here to get a decent run in.   I'm hoping its away before my long one at the weekend.

23/01/2013 at 22:47
hi Minni, its so sad about your poor dog. Even chris was upset for you and he has never met you before. The 12 mile run along the coast must have helped clear your head alittle. Im hoping that its all melted by friday morning ready for my long run as im in need of some fresh air,

Think ive got into a habit with going to the gym as if I go straight home chris doesnt allow me to run out doors on my own in winter so I would then have to stay in and sit through rubbish TV for hours...I enjoy delaying that by going to the gym and getting rid of any pent up anger/energy. My only other option in winter is to go with the running club but its rare that I finish work in time unfortuantley. Roll on the summer with longer days!
23/01/2013 at 23:02
I remember our little puppy being run over and killed when we were kids Minni it was awful, my sister was distraught, I think it must be harder for an adult too, very sorry.

I did the same 8mile route tonight as last Wednesday but paced a little differently. There's a two mile climb after the first downhill mile and I took it really steady this time, 9mm ish and felt a lot fresher at the top so I was able to comfortably run the rest of the route faster than last week. Getting a lot of twinges in my legs though.

Sarah I really don't know how you do it. An hour on an exercise bike would kill me.
24/01/2013 at 07:34
Morning Mr P, I'm sorry to hear about your puppy aswell, I cried as a kid when my gold fish died, think I would have been destraught if it was a dog.

Sounds like you had a more enjoyable run yesterday than the week before and I bet your completion times were not that different as you will have run the down hill bits better. Where are you getting your twinges?

I went to bed feeling great last night but this morning I'm feeling globally tired so I think my body will probably be glad of its rest day today. Was on call yesterday and was stupidly busy so that probably didnt help, fingers crossed it will be a steadier day today.

To be honest I hate the exercise bike and i get bored after 5 mins, the reason why I have to take something to read to distract me, it also helps reduce my pile of journals and articles I have which are just waiting to be read. With staying at home last weekend (instead of dashing down to shef or up to Newcastle) I manage to get through quite alot of them which was quite satisfying though.
Edited: 24/01/2013 at 07:35
24/01/2013 at 13:02

Think I must have just slept funny as a feel great now....its either that or its the magic of caffiene!

24/01/2013 at 13:57

It is the tendons at the bottom of my hamstrings where they meet the back of the knee.

seren nos    pirate
24/01/2013 at 17:23

nearly 18 miles on the treadmill

You are not human......

glad training is going well

24/01/2013 at 22:24

Great training Sarah!  You really seem to be enjoying it too, which makes it so much easier to do.  Marathon training is tough on cold, icy and dark evenings!  I went on the treadmill this morning for a few before work because I didn't trust the icy pavements around where I live in the dark.  Although then went out this evening in Barnsley and it was mostly okay, but did have to run on the road a bit.

Glad to hear that your legs felt ok yesterday Hilly and you managed another 10 miles in the snow....it puts my 3 miles on the treadmill to shame. Do you feel almost back to full fitness and do you have another snow day? I do love my job and feel privileged to be a doctor, however some days can be quite busy and tough. I'm lucky as a lot of my patients do realise that I am busy and not sat twiddling my thumbs so when I'm running late they are forgiving, however in some places people aren't sometimes as understanding.

My fitness is returning quite quickly on training runs Sarah, but I'm not sure how that will translate to races.  I'm doing Dewsbury 10k in a fortnight and I would hope to see a better performance that Abbey Dash where I had only just returned to proper training.  Although 10k is not my best distance!  Also although feeling stronger than I was I'm still not back to full miles, but getting there

It's good you like your job!  I like mine too  I changed schools in September and although busier than I was in my last job I get far more job satisfaction 

Minni - sorry to read about your dog!

24/01/2013 at 23:55
Evening Mr P. With the exception of a couple of days after that sport massage last week, i always seem to have tight hamstrings, although touch wood they dont cause me any pain or twinges. Ive been trying to stretch them out a bit more than usual and I think it is working. Might have to get a foam roller! Hope they held out ok tonight.

Hi Seren....hahaha, least thats better than what my husband called me...stupid (i think)

Hi Hilly, ive been assessing the paths tonight and at lunch time, and i think i will be able to risk a run outside tomorrow...really looking forward to getting out there and getting some fresh air. Even though ive had short walks daily for my visits I feel like ive spent most of the last 4 days stuck in doors. I'm glad to hear that your fitness is returning quickly. Whats your PB for a 10k and what did you get at Abbey Dash? Have you done the dewsbery 10k before? Whats it like? I think that is so important in a job, no matter how much money you get its far better to have job satisfaction so you actually enjoy going in to work.
24/01/2013 at 23:59
Training Diary for forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 4, (Day 24). Aim; Rest day

Actual; rest day. I walked on my patient visit today which was a 1.2 mile round trip but thats all today....looking forward to my 18 miler outdoors tomorrow with refreshed legs.
25/01/2013 at 05:41
Sarah - hope you get the 18 done before the snow hits again.
25/01/2013 at 06:45

I think the snow won't be around much longer as although forecast for a bit more it's also forecast to warm up and rain, so fingers crossed it's washed away!

10k pb is 38:14, which I've been close a few times, but that was 6 years ago when I was 6 years younger  Last year I did 39:13 and this year at Abbey Dash I did 40:45 or something like that, so hope I'm in a bitter better shape now.  Never done Dewsbury Sarah, but BR has and I've been to watch it. It's straight up a road around a cone and back and is said to be quite fast so we'll see...

Off to Dublin after work today with a group of folk to do the Malahide parkrun tomorrow morning then fly back Saturday evening and long run Sunday - all go

Enjoy your 18 miles Sarah!

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 06:47
25/01/2013 at 08:08
Nooooooo, no more snow (and ice) minni its not allowed. Looks ok out there at the moment so hopefully the snow/ran will wait until after I've finished......but I welcome the sun from any time now! The ice sounds awful where you are, do drive and run carefully.

Morning hilly. Wow your going all the way to Dublin to do a park run...that's true dedication to running. Do you plan to do anything else whilst your there? I hope your right with the sun, think everyone is in need of some vitamin d and the remaining ice needs to melt!

Your 10k PB is fabulous....I could only dream of those times, including the time you got at the abbey dash last year. Your a fantastic and speedy runner. I was almost 3 mins behind you at the abbey dash and I was running fit......you was probably one of the people who I wished I was as good as in front of me!

Hmm I'm getting itchy feet to do a race...wonder if Minni would let me do the dewsberry 10 (if there are some places left)?

Hope you have a fabulous time in Dublin, happy running
25/01/2013 at 12:44

***ALERT***

Anyone travelling on the Northeast line - tickets are released for travel on the Friday.  I've just booked four tickets for £58.

25/01/2013 at 13:10

Sarah - when is the Dewsbury 10k?  It must be close to your HM?  If its the week before or the week after then I'd think you'd be better putting all your effort into the HM?

25/01/2013 at 14:06

Hi Minni, that sounds very cheap for 4 tickets, im impressed. Think im going to look at going up on the train for my friends hen party in the summer.

Hilly said its in a fortnight so it looks like it will fall the week before barcelona half.....I guess I can wait another week to race

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.