RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

541 to 560 of 2,270 messages
27/01/2013 at 20:57

Evening Mr P, lol, 9:30 is still pretty early for a sunday, what time was your wife up and out of the door at?

I tend to wake up pretty early but then I have to wait for my breakfast to settle before I venture out so its normall about half 9-10 like you too, although the friend I was running with today tends to go to church on a sunday so it was a later one for me today.

The wind was awful (if you was running into it) wasnt it. Sounds like it worked in your favour on the way home though as your legs start to tire

I saw loads of runners aswell, it was a nice day for it...im hoping everyone got plenty of vitamin D as all this dull weather makes alot of people miserable.

My cut back week was last week, but it never happened with the BM being cancelled. I think Minni is letting me have the week of my half marathon in 2-3 weeks time as my cut back week....just hope that I hold out until then...although I do actually feel fine.

Have you done the 5 mile race before? If you do it will you do a couple of warm up and cool down miles as well? Id never dreamt of doing them until Minni advised me to. I thought that it would impair my race, but when I did the park run I really dont think it did. 

27/01/2013 at 21:10

Training Diary for forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)
Week 4, (Day 27) Aim; 10m; 4 m w/u, then 5 m alternating between 0.5m @HMP with 0.5m @ MP. 1 m c/d

Actual

I had the opportunity to run with a friend and work colleague today in Harrogate. We were both disappointed at not being able to run at the Brass Monkey and we failed to meet up in the week whilst at work due to being too busy.

It was nice to be able to run with someone today. Not only did I manage to catch up with a friend, I also got to run around new streets which presented new challenges (mainly hills). I really couldnt believe how quickly the miles seemed to fly by. When we was on mile 9, I still only thought that we had done about 6-7. My legs felt great as did my breathing. It was reassuring that I was able to hold a conversation at the paces that we maintained to judge how much effort I was putting in, as when you are running on your own you cant do this (or you could but you would look strange)

We managed to cover 9.5 miles at an average pace of 8:05 min/mls. Some mile reps were as quick as 7:14 min/mls but others were slower. One was alot slower (9:00 min/ml) when we ran up a long steep hill for a lot of it (which I was told is seb coe's hill...the one he use to run up alot before marathons).

So I didnt do the run that was originally planned for me, however I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt very freshed leg. I felt I could have gone much further and faster. Despite not setting out to do half mile reps, there was still times when we did run at HMP and other times when we ran at MP. There was also several challenging hills on route. Therefore all in all I feel that I had a good and challenging run.

27/01/2013 at 21:11

Total miles this week; 38.5

Forgot to say, I also did some resistence training after my run today

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 21:40
27/01/2013 at 21:47

My schedule for week five;

Monday; Netball Match

Tuesday; 9 miles which includes a 2m w/u, 7 x 1km reps @ 10 k pace (6.55-7.00 min/ml) with 2 min recoveries + c/d

wednesday; Rest day

Thursday; Club run...roughly 6 miles, steady

Friday; 20 miles outdoors, steady

Saturday; Rest

Sunday; 8-10 miles; either XC race (5 miles + 2 mile w/u + 1 mile c/d) or progressive run: 3 mile easy, 4 @ MP, 2 @ HMP, 1 easy to cool down

Total Mileage; 43-45 miles

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 21:51
27/01/2013 at 21:54
She doesn't eat before a run and was away before nine, but I wanted to let my porridge settle a bit.

If I do race I will indeed warm up, as we discussed earlier I've always done a lot better with a warm up. Not much of a cooler downer though, if I don't meet up with any friends I might go round again but more likely to go for a burger!
27/01/2013 at 23:44
Haha, think I would be tempted by the warm food too.

I really don't know how people can run without eating breakfast, I keep meaning to try but i always end up bottling it at the last minute and having something!!
28/01/2013 at 23:06

Week 4, (Day 28) Aim; Netball match

Actual; Played in WD again for 4 x 15min quarters after doing some drills to warm up.

Not the nicest conditions to play in...gail force winds and rain, but we survived....just.

After not falling over all season, I managed to fall over three times today, luckily I landed on my behind all three times, unlike last year when I looked like I was attempting a flying head, but with the floor rather than a ball. I ended up being concussed for about 12 hours and had neck pain for several days due to the whip lash like injury I caused last year.

The match did look like something more from a comedy sketch than a serious game...was fun but we were unfortunately unsuccessful and lost.
29/01/2013 at 21:56
Blimey Sarah I didn't realise netball could be so dangerous!

Did you do your intervals on the TM? I ditched mine tonight partly because of the wind but mostly because I'm cream crackered. Swapped it for an easy 9 instead.
29/01/2013 at 22:24

Mrs P is going to a Back to Netball session on Thursday, I'd better warn her.

I rested yesterday and did my first proper tempo run for a while tonight. I still felt quite tired but after a mile slow up the hill from our house I got into it and my average pace was 8:02mm.

I was a bit disappointed till I logged it on sporttracks and saw I was pretty much at the same level as in 2010, in April 2010 I was running the same route in 7:30's so still plenty of time.

Minni I have a question please...

If I do race 5 miles on Sunday, what should I do between now and then?  I would normally do my 8 miles easy tomorrow, but I wondered about perhaps something a little longer again between tomoorow and Sunday?

29/01/2013 at 22:37
Is the 5m race replacing a long run Puffy? If it is then I'd try and get a long one done on Friday or Saturday instead, or add miles onto the front and to the end of the race to make it into a long run with the 5m at MP?

While a 5m race is good to do you don't really want to 'taper' for it because its not that important in the bigger picture. Much better to use it to fit into your marathon training schedule. Unless your schedule calls for a short race and that has been built in?
29/01/2013 at 23:07
The schedule does call for a race but not Sunday. I did wonder about going early and jogging round the course and getting ten miles out of it, or, based on the below, go a bit longer on the Saturday.

I was listening to marathon talk lasts week and the interviewee mentioned when he tried back to back 13 mile runs one time as he taperd for London, did anyone else hear it?

His point was to replicate the last few miles of a marathon, by running half then not eating many carbs before doing it again the next day, I thought it might be an exercise to run 12 ish on Saturday then race on Sunday. I have to drop a car off at the garage on Saturday so I'll definitely be running back.
29/01/2013 at 23:22
At least every month someone seems to get injured during a match or training...thats what worries me about playing. The pitch i was on yesterday was felted with overlying sand....this mixed with all the rain that we had made it quite slippy, but i must have been a little more clumsy than normal aswell. Luckily it was only my bum that suffered and it has felt fine today, so I think I got away with it.

My next match is supposed to be a week on thursday but im currently seeing if someone else will take my place as I will have to drive 60 miles up from sheffield to play and might struggle to make it in time.

Minni you make me laugh...most people wouldnt class 9 miles as easy!
29/01/2013 at 23:32
Evening Mr P, I hope your wife manages to stay on her feet better than I did!

8 min/mls is a good average pace especially if it was on a hilly course. How many miles did you run in total tonight? What was your fast and slow pace and in what proportions?

I didnt hear marathon talk last week, but Ive heard other people talk about doing two consecutive long runs and trying to deplete glycogen stores before the second one. I think I may have also read the advice in RW once as well. This week im planning on running thursday night and then friday mid day although the runs will probably be 6 and 20 and I dont think I will dare leave the house on the friday until after ive ate breakfast. I dont know if I would have the bottle to run on empty. Are you going to try it?
Edited: 29/01/2013 at 23:33
29/01/2013 at 23:41

Week 5, (Day 29) Aim; speed session 9 miles including a w/u, c/d and 7 x 1km reps at 10k pace.

Actual; 9 miles;
2 mile w/u starting @ 10min/mls and increasing to 8min/mls
7 x 1km reps @ 6:53 mins/ml with 2 min recovery @ 8:20min/mls
1 mile c/u starting at 8:20 min/mls and finishing at 9:05 min/mls

I did this on the TM after work, I found the first 4 reps quite fun and enjoyable but I was ready to stop the reps by the 7th one today...so I didnt do any extras!

I did some resistance training before and after the treadmill session, mainly because I will not get the opportunity to go to the gym to work with the weights until at least sunday now. Although I do have my balance ball, the core exercises in P&D and a video link that Minni sent me to try instead.
30/01/2013 at 08:49
Just quickly posting to say hello to Mr Puffy, was on the Gazelle thread with us all last year. How are tricks Puffy? Targets for the year?

Also to see how Sarah was doing. Phenomenal 18 miler this early if that felt easy? Many would be at 8:45-9:30mm at this stage, Shaggy actually had me do that last year. Aw Shaggy

3:20 or even under within your range?
30/01/2013 at 09:40

FRC - Sarah is indeed doing really well with the longs runs.  Too early yet to be thinking about marathon targets with still 12 weeks to go, in my opinion.   I believe Sarah is thinking along the lines of nailing a strong London time without risking blowing up then taking that forward into her Autumn marathon.

30/01/2013 at 10:57

Sarah - that is another great session nailed.  Its good to feel like that towards the end because you know you're working hard.  Unless we test ourselves its hard to know exactly where our limits are.  (Although I know where mine are without going through the pain ).

Do you think you're feeling tired with the extra miles?

30/01/2013 at 13:58

Hello FRC I'm fine how are you?  I do look at the other thread you all seem to be going great guns.

My target is again 3:30 but after a bad autumn I think it might be case of - coincidentally - doing my best at London and then pushing on later in the year.

I will always remember those miles I ran with Gazelle last year, it was a lesson in running really as I dropped back and was able to observe the style, then reading how hard she had to run at the end to get the time I really don't think I can bridge the gap yet, but I am really enjoying the structure and the motivation.

I certainly won't be surprised if Sarah smashes it but I wouldn't say it out loud

30/01/2013 at 22:48
Hi FRC, lovely to see you on here, thankyou for popping on. It so hard to keep up with all the threads so for the last few weeks ive only had time to concentrate on a few.

I think im going to try and run my LSR alittle slower this week and try not to get to carried away. Although I did feel fine last week during the run and afterwards to. Did Shaggy mentor you last year?

Minni, you have only known me a short while but you can already read my mind!

Did you manage to get your speed training in today. I love the feeling of tiredness at the end of a run...its so satisfying. Within an hour (and after having my tea) yesterday I felt fine again. Im actually feeling great so I dont think the extra milage has been detrimental as yet, however I have had two quiet weekends. Im normally dashing around all weekend travelling up and down the motoway, craming in as much as possible. This weekend will probably be the tester as I have the 20 miler planned and have a very busy weekend planned, and a child with tonsilitis coughed in my face today!

Mr P, like Minni said, theres still 12 weeks to go, you never know, you might smash 3:30 (fingers and toes crossed) . Your training looks to be going well at the moment. Have you run tonight?
30/01/2013 at 22:54

Week 5, (Day 30) Aim; Rest day

I had a busy day on call today finishing with a late visit after 18:00. Luckily my OH cooked my tea for me tonight so I had tea on the table as I walked through the door. 90 minutes later, stuffed, showered and packed I was on the road heading down to my parents. Arrived here just after 21:30, caught up with my parents and then thought I had better quickly come on here before nattering some more.

Have a training day at central health clinic in the morning, followed by lunch and a bit of shopping with my mum, and then its a club run...first this year
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.