RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

661 to 680 of 2,270 messages
13/02/2013 at 20:05

Hope you have a good one Mr P, let us know how you get on

13/02/2013 at 20:16
Good luck with that run Puffy. It's grim out there.

Really excited for you Sarah. I want to say good luck but the truth is you don't need it. You've done all the training and you've been very consistent, which I think is the most important thing. You've done your speedwork and you've got great long runs banked. With a few days rest you'll be ready to bring it all together and blast that half.

Try not to start off too fast because it might well come back and bite you in the last couple of miles. Try and control the pace for the first few miles. Of course this is what I always do...

I can't wait to see what time you run.
14/02/2013 at 06:41

Hi Sarah,

Echo what Minni said, sure you'll do well in Barca this weekend with the training you hav got in, but best of luck anyway!!

14/02/2013 at 12:22

Hi Sarah,

It was actually quite a good run last night - I ended up doing the 10 miles at an average of 8.19/mile and I felt surprisingly fresh despite having done a hard interval session the previous night, in fact I had to consciously slow down in the early miles. Also it didn't feel as tedious as it usually does when I'm doing that route.

Now I'm off for a six mile run, aiming at HM pace, along the Embankment down to Westminster and back, so it's a bit more scenic although it gets a bit crowded in certain spots. 

14/02/2013 at 19:58
Good evening, I've certainly learned a lesson this week...after the enjoyable gym session on Tuesday I set off last night for my normal midweek run, and soon found that the session had cost me a little more than I thought. My lower legs and right ankle hurt and my right inner thigh hurt where I'd done the leg exercises. Plus it was blowing an absolute gale! There was no way I could maintain my pace in the wind so I did the three miles easy as planned then as close as I could to Mara pace for the next five, but is was up and down with th estrong wind. Then I limped home with a mile cool down.

My shins were sore so I got the foam roller out and with a bit of contorting got a good roll down the inside of my calfs, and they feel fine today. that roller really works your core trying to balance.

I didn't feel too bad, I felt the pain was from the gym work rather than overuse, and I've done a comfortable recovery run tonight. What a shame I didnt do things the other way though, it is a calm relatively warm night tonight, would have been perfect for a more sustained effort.

So, the lessons...gym work only after the important runs have been done properly, and swop the sessions if necessary if I can't achieve what the session is supposed to do.

When do you fly Sarah? Tomorrow? Or are you there yet?

My race is 11.00 on Sunday, it's sponsored by a bakery so there's a loaf of bread at the end.
14/02/2013 at 21:49
Evening Minni, thankyou....im going to try my best to resist the sangria until after the race....and then have a blow out!!!

Im hoping there will be a largish crowd at the start to help keep my first few miles steady...I keep remembering what its like to set off too fast and then struggle in the last miles....just hope I remember when im all excited at the start!

Thankyou Clive. Did you hear that Steve can no longer do TR24 ? do you know anyone else who may be able to take his place?

Hi Andy, todays run sounds alot more pleasant and scenic than yesterdays. Im quite jealous. Hope you had another good run today and you found those HMP miles easy.

Sorry to hear about your legs yesterday Mr P, but im so glad that they have made a full recovery for today. The weather was horrendous yesterday so in my eyes you did great just to get out. On the asics 26.2 threads sarah the physio has been recommending no resistence training if you havent been doing it to the same level constantly as she says that it takes too much out of your running and too long to recover. I know you did do bits before though so its a bit of a grey area.

Im going to try and order a foam roller tonight, they do sound amazing. They have some at the gym but I dont dare try and use them just incase my first attempt is disasterous and I end up looking stupid infront of everyone!

Loving the idea of a loaf of bread at the end....beats some of the other things Ive recieved. Good luck on sunday. I will be thinking about you. Cant wait to hear how you get on.

We fly in the morning....need to be up at 4am which im not looking forward to!
14/02/2013 at 21:53
Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 7 (day 46) Aim; Rest day

My 2nd rest day and it feels like I havent ran for weeks, its so odd. My legs are itching to do something, but im sure the next two days exploring Barcelona will help keep them going ready for sunday.

Im not sure how easily it will be to post on here whilst im away but I will do my best.

Happy running everyone and good luck with your races.
16/02/2013 at 08:11
Arrived in Barcelona at 10:00. After picking up our numbers we did some exploration with lots of eating and drinking. Think im going to count yesterday as my race carbo loading day so I don't feel as guilty about the amount I put away! Todsy we plan to visit familia grada park guell, neu camp, and possibly the Olympic stadium
16/02/2013 at 17:45

Hi Sarah,

Yes thanks, I managed my HMP miles pretty well on Thursday. I felt a bit "leggy" at first but was fine by the end. Twenty miler tomorrow - it's another step up in distance for me so I plan to not worry about my pace and just concentrate on doing the distance.

It sounds like you're doing exactly the same things as we did when we went to Barcelona, in which case I'm sure you're having a great time.

16/02/2013 at 18:57

Hope it all goes well, Sarah!  Look forward to seeing a fab result!

17/02/2013 at 08:28

Come on Sarah, Game Face!

17/02/2013 at 09:11
Enjoy your races Puffy and Sarah. Ideal weather here so hope it's the same for you.
17/02/2013 at 11:23

I hoping Sarah will check in soon with her time.....

17/02/2013 at 11:48
Just a quickly as everyone is waiting for me so we can get food. It's good news. Did a 1 mile w/u to the start (otherwise we would have missed it.

My Garmin time was 1 hr 33 min and 32 secs for 13.2 miles. Average pace 7.05 min/mls.

My ave was 7:20 by 5k, 7:15 by 10k, 7:10 by 15k then 7.05 at the finish. Felt really well all the way round, happy that I paced myself well and had a strong finish

Was 14,000 in the rac e o it was quite busy and I had to do a little bit of weaving.

Managed to knock just under 2.5 mins of my previous half PB and feel confident that I could knock more of next time so I'm happy.After the race I ran back to the hotel, 2.2 miles @ 9.06 min/ml. Thankyou for helping me get a new PB Minni and everyone else on here who have been giving me support
17/02/2013 at 11:57

Amazing run Sarah........excellent work. You must be even happier that you felt you could have gone even quicker. That's a great chunk off your PB!

17/02/2013 at 12:38

So, so brilliant Sarah.  Very well done.  And your pacing is even more impressive than your finish time. 

I think we may need to revise your marathon time......

Hope you've had a good race too Puffy.

17/02/2013 at 12:39

Brilliant Sarah well done!

Not good news here I'm afraid, my clutch failed en route to the race so I had to call the AA and get a tow to the garage. I'll have to do my long run now, but it is beautiful weather for it.

My maths tell me you must have been accelerating all the way Sarah, you must be feeling pretty good, I hope you've got a huge meal and plenty of drinks planned

17/02/2013 at 19:45

Fantastic run Sarah. Really well deserved. I think minni is right - you must have a look at 3:20 at least with 9 weeks to go!

Mr Puffy - bad news!

17/02/2013 at 20:34

Well done Sarah!

17/02/2013 at 21:37

Well done Sarah, excellent stuff. And managing a two mile run back after setting a PB  is really impressive. After setting my HM PB last year I would have struggled to run a bath let alone run two more miles.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Mr P - that must be incredibly frustrating.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.