RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

741 to 760 of 2,270 messages
23/02/2013 at 20:02
Hi Tenjiso,

I used my foam roller once I got home (after putting my compression tights on...just incase) and found it quite fun.

I was alittle sore in my calfs and alot sore on my IT band again but it was a nice discomfort and quite satisfying...my legs felt lighter afterwards and at the moment I dont even feel like I ran this morning.

Hows your running going?
Edited: 23/02/2013 at 20:02
23/02/2013 at 20:33
Hi Sarah, sounds good fun. There is a race here that always queues up at the styles it can be very annoying. It's two in one but the longer race starts seven miles down the county so those runners don't like waiting behind the ten mile people who have only just started.

I felt very tired on Thursday so I skipped my run and rested. We went to see The. Phantom of the opera last night and I had a couple of drinks so I did a few easy miles today to qualify for Febulous and tonight I am preparing for tomorrow's 20.

My car is still not fixed, won't be ready till Tuesday.
23/02/2013 at 20:49
Perfect race today Sarah! Sounds like you got it just right and had fun along the way. Great report too.

Loving Tenjiso coming in with a commercial break part way through!!

Puffy - which race is that? Hope the 20 goes well tomorrow.
23/02/2013 at 21:03
Sounds like a fun race. I must say I have very limited experience of cross country... I'll be doing the Orion 15 next month in Epping forest, a bit nervous about it, as I'm a bit grumpy in mud
23/02/2013 at 21:16
It is the sandstone trail race, the A race stars at a pLace called bicker ton at Ten and the B race starts at Beeston at eleven. Both races finish in Delamere Forest near us.

There is a new parkrun at Delamere forest starting on 4th march, looking forward to that
23/02/2013 at 21:20
Though so Puffy. I did it a few years back. I did the longer one and the first half was great but the second was lots of start stops. And I got stung by a bee! I have a friend runs for South Cheshire Harriers and I came and did it with him.
23/02/2013 at 21:22
Evening Mr P. I might have to try your race next as I did enjoy today, despite the styles....next time though I will just have to start nearer the front! What was the phantom of the opera like? ive been wanting to see it for ages but still havent got round to it as chris doesnt fancy it. I might see if mum wants to see it whilst were in London for the marathon (if its still showing)

Good look for tomorrow with your 20 miler and let us know how you get on. Whats actually wrong with your car?

Thankyou Minni, I really enjoyed myself and it was a good confidence boost passing so many runners.

Haha...I thought that too Minni...I was trying to type all the bits up quickly just incase it happened and then my mum came along with my tea so I had a 10 minute rest and thats when it happened!

Hi Angela, I love mud so I dont mind cross country. I think one thing I like about it is that you can take it steadier and you cant compare times due to the mud in varying quantities therefore you can relax more and enjoy it. Will keep my fingers crossed for you that March is a dry month so it isnt too muddy. What marathon do you have planned?
23/02/2013 at 21:29
Hi Sarah, yes, I was hoping to take Orion 15 really easy as its just 6 days after my half that I really want to race, but there's a cut off at 9 miles and 90 mins, which shouldn't be bad for a race, but I'm told its usually muddy, which I'm not used to, and I,ll be post race, so it'd be embarrassing not to finish because of not doing 10 min miles! I'm sure I'll be fine though.
I'm doing the Halstead and Essex marathon last year out of 6 races I entered, I only ran 2... 2 were cancelled due to weather (including NYC marathon ) and 1 I couldn't find due to driving in bad weather!
I've also entered Bournemouth in October. I want this year to be my first sub 4hour, and I think that'll be Bournemouth... But we'll see, if its not too hot in Halstead, maybe I could do it there...
Do u have an Autumn marathon planned?
23/02/2013 at 21:42

Great race report.  Apologies for the intermission   I forgot to mention that ice cream and popcorn was available in the foyer.

I'm chugging along quite nicely.  Ran 22m today, which is my longest ever training run (was supposed to be 20m, but since I had already started....).  

23/02/2013 at 21:46
Pesky iPad.

I enjoyed the Phantom, the sets were amazing. I found some of the words a bit hard to hear the audio could have been better but the music was great, I'd definitely recommend it if it comes near you.

Was it the really bad weather year when you did it Minni, I did the long race that time and I've done the short race a few times, the ultra I've entered for may is the whole trail,33 miles.

We ought to utilise the Forest more, it's only up the road from us.

Sarah the clutch went bang so it is undriveable, the AA couldn't tow me to my own garage, the first garage tried to overcharge me and a few years ago he rather ripped me off on another car, so I had it towed to my usual garage but it's taken a while to sort out.
Edited: 23/02/2013 at 21:56
23/02/2013 at 21:56
Go you Tenj
23/02/2013 at 22:09
No Puffy it was nice and warm. A few years ago now mind... Possibly 8? The finish in the forest was nice but I remember quite a big climb to the finishing point, or possibly steps? I think South Cheshire are going to run their 20m race in October this year. I've half committed to doing it but it'll depend on the date.
23/02/2013 at 22:45
I thi k it's September 13th three weeks before Chester Marathon.
23/02/2013 at 22:47
I've checked and its the same date as the GNR - 15th.
24/02/2013 at 15:12
Afternoon everyone, is it a rest day Sarah?

I was right up for today's run as it has been a difficult week one way or another, and last weekend was just a disaster. I eschewed any alcohol and had an early night, but I didn't sleep well, perhaps because I fell asleep in the afternoon. The plan was a ten mile lap with Mrs P then I would do the same again on my own. She runs more slowly than I do so I thought a slow ten miles would be ideal as I only did thirteen difficult miles last week and 18 the week before.

So off we went, she likes to listen to her iPod and speeds upand slows down depending on what comes on, it's quite funny looking at the splits. So the first ten was in about 1.35 I was walking sometimes so as not to overtake, so when we got home I was feeling extremly comfortable as I set off for the next lap. The first mile is uphill so I relaxed a bit and then wound myself up a little. When I trained for my first marathon in 2006 I ran this route in 80 minutes. Now I understand abouT long runs but I'm very conscious that in this campaign I haven't really got any Mara paced miles in yet, although I've done a little speed work and Fartlek. So I decided that if I couldn't manage it at the pace I was running it nine years ago as a beginner then there was something wrong and it was time to grit my teeth a little!
So the next few miles were all 7:59 - 8.02 bar one, and I ran quite fast all the way home. I had managed to switch off my garmin for a mile, so I put in half mile lap of the village just to make sure it was 20 because sometimes it comes up a little less than 10 miles and I didn't want to cheat in Febulous.

I felt fine, I ate lunch and had a long bath, but I'm developing a slight headache now so I've taken some paracetamol and I'm going to bed for a while, I don't want to be below par at work tomorrow.

Very pleased with the run, the pacing, the uplift in distance and my recovery, what a change from last week
24/02/2013 at 17:41
Hi Angela. I did Belvoir yesterday which was 6 days after Barcelona half which I did last week. It didnt seem to affect me, however I didnt do too much in the week. I did a short recovery run on monday, a steady progressive run on wed (5 miles) and a steady 10 miler on thur. I decided to miss my speed training session out and I think it helped my legs recover. Therefore I think if you was careful with what you do between your half and Orion you should be ok. Whats your normal road pace?

When do the Halstead and Essex marathons fall? Thats such a shame about NYC marathon, you must have been devestated. I heard a rumour that you got an automatic place this year because it was cancelled but I dont recall where I heard it??

Im the same as you, I have an october Marathon planned. I was only ever going to do one Marathon but my october one (in York) will be my third (all being well)...think I may have caught the bug!!
24/02/2013 at 17:42
Haha Tenjiso..your forgiven. Congrats on a 22 miler....very impressive at this stage, you must be so happy with your training.
24/02/2013 at 17:55
Hi Mr P. I didnt even realise that a clutch could bang (bet I sound blonde now)! Thats frustrating with the garage...I dont trust many garages, a few have tried to rip me of in the past so im always a bit careful now.

I was about to say that the south cheshire 20 sounds good, until I realised that it was the weekend before York Marathon...maybe one for next year!

What a fabulous 20 miler. I would certainly be happy with that. Sounds like you did it perfectly with the slower miles first and then some marathon paced miles. Did you drink enough water as your headache could be down to dehydration (or from not sleeping well last night, so hopefully you have managed a nice post run nap).

As you described Mrs P I could picture a runner nodding her head, singing along to her ipod and changing paces according to the song, it made me smile. May try running with music outdoors on friday for a change...might distract me from the cold...is it me or is it freezing, I havent warmed up for two days!
24/02/2013 at 18:01
Hi Sarah, think that's a good idea to take the between races week easy. In the past my midweek training had always been quite sporadic, so now I'm on a plan that has me doing a Saturday fast and Sunday long slow run, so I'll probably stick to recovery runs that week. Road pace depends on the distance ive done. A24 min 5k, but my times decay more than they should as distance increases. my training runs tend to go over all sorts of terrain, but my best half marathon was at 1:59, so prob just over a 9 minute mile for that distance, so yeah, I'll probably be on the cusp of the cut off in the Orion 15.

Halstead and Essex is one marathon with a very long name. It's on May 12th. I did my 14 mile lsr today and despite it being very chilly, I still wiped salt off my face etc... So in the heat I really need to replenish the salts!

Yeah NYC marathon was soooooo annoying. Training had been terrible, so in a way it's good the race didn't take place. I have a lot of friends and family in the states so had more planned than just the race, but I did have 10 members of my family fly n from various parts of USA, and my sister from England to watch me race! So many thousands of pounds/dollars were spent unnecessarily... My fianc?? and I instead had an engagement party, as one of my bridesmaids lives in NYC and we had so much family there. I could have had a guaranteed place for this year, bt would have had to pay for it again! And I'm saving for the wedding, so instead I took the refund option...still waiting for it though!

I've definitely caught the bug! NYC would have been #3. I did London and then Berlin in 2011. Berlin was actually really fun- would definitely try it again. You should do it sometime!
24/02/2013 at 18:08
Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 8 (day 55) Aim; 3-4 mile recovery run

Actual; 5.2 mile easy recovery run.

I went through to Maltby and ran with the running club today. There was only 5 of us (due to the race yesterday), two of us ran yesterday, one needed to be back in an hour to collect her daughter from the swimming baths and the other two had only been doing short milage so it worked out quite well as no one wanted to get a long run in.

We ran from the swimming baths, down to Roche Abbey. At this stage we joined the "abbey dash" course. This is a race held by my running club annually, but one that I have never been able to do as it starts before I finish work. The route started with stepping stones over a river, this was followed by a muddy path in the woods (now both my trainers are muddy...going to get some more angry looks in the gym tomorrow) and then a steep uphill up a grass banking. At this point I was quite glad that I had never done this race before....it was tough on a slow training run, never mind in a race! Just as I thought this we then came to a short steep down hill section (which was welcomed by my calfs) before the last section again up another grassy hill. From there we ran back to the sports centre to finish.

My average pace was 10:20 min/ml but this involved bits were I was waiting around for others to catch up.

Weekly milage; 38.3 miles
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.