RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

81 to 100 of 2,270 messages
24/12/2012 at 22:10
Hope you manage to get out for a run tomorrow Sarah. Remember it's ok to slow down a bit! As your mileage increases you'll need to run the easy miles a bit slower. I know this can be hard to begin with but it's worth it in the long run. (See what I did there! )
Edited: 24/12/2012 at 22:11
24/12/2012 at 22:10

Hey Sarah,

Congrats again on getting into the forum 6 - so pleased for you

I promised I'd stop by and post Sam Murphy Strength Circuit - enjoy, and hope it's useful!

Have a great Christmas everyone, and all the best for 2013...

Happy running 

24/12/2012 at 22:25

I wondered why I hadn't received any update notifications on this thread.  Perhaps that might be because I haven't posted here yet   So here's a post so I can find it again 

Good luck Sarah.  I'll pop in occasionally, though you are too fast for me.

Oh wait.... everyone is too fast for me!

I'm just off to eat a mince pie that has been left by the fireplace.  Not too fussed about the raw carrot, though.  Happy Christmas!

24/12/2012 at 22:31
Minni wrote (see)
Oh god this is not looking good for me. I don't really have the killer instinct and feel if someone's better than me then I'm happy to let them have it!

Raw turkey tomorrow and you have to catch it yourself.

25/12/2012 at 08:15

Hi Sarah- I'm a hospital doctor ( surgeon). I occiaionally have very busy on call nights/ weekends, which can wipe you out for a couple of days trainig after.

Treadmill running- I started as a pure treadmill runner, and for my first marathon, more than half my trainig was on the tready- now only resort to it for intervals and if the weather is horrible.

25/12/2012 at 09:44
Good morning all and MERRY CHRISTMAS. Hope you all have a fantastic day. I'm passing time at the moment until I'm allowed to wake everyone up at 10. I stupidly had breakfast when I got up, otherwise I could have just gone for a run!

Minni I promise to slow down on my LSR, I think I might try and do my next one along derwent this week so it will be nice to run slower and take in the sites.

Thank you Steve for the fabulous link, I really appreciate it. Good luck in 2013 and with the running too. Hope you have a fabulous day today with Jack.

Hi Ten, thank you for dropping by. My dad ate Santas mince pie aswell....and the crips and mars bar for the reindeers.......we've never left carrots for them, my dads convinced that they prefer the sweeter foods!

Morning tricialitt, I really don't miss those hospital on calls and nights, like you said they completely wipe out a few days of your life. Luckily for me I only did 13 hour shifts when I did them, but all the surgeons I know do 24 hour shifts! You sound similar to me with the treadmill. I only ran on the TM at the beginning to. After doing my first race out doors I have tried to run outdoors when I can, it's far nicer.
25/12/2012 at 16:13
A nice steady 3 miles (at 8:45-9:15 min/ml pace) with my OH on Christmas morning....slowest I've run for a while, but least it was nice to get out there and work up a small appetitie!
25/12/2012 at 16:30

Merry Xmas Sarah. hope its been a good one and looking forward to 2013....

Did 4 1/2 miles in the rain avec santa Hat this morning- raised a few smiles in the cars going by

25/12/2012 at 16:56
Merry Christmas Clive, had a fabulous one so far but I've been quite busy helping my mum with diner and then tidying the bomb site up afterwards before then starting tea preparations for all my relatives due to arrive any minute.

Glad to hear that you managed to get out on a run and in a Santa hat aswell, im impressed, wish we had crossed paths, you would have got a very big smile from me. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.
25/12/2012 at 21:28
Well done on the run today Sarah. Perfect pace - just as the doctor ordered!

Hope you've had a great day.
25/12/2012 at 22:55

Sarah - well done on getting out for a run today. I managed 6 miles during the day and decided that it was time I started listening to the advice of minni and spoons and slowed down from my normal 7:30 / 8:00 mm to 9:30 mm. They tell me it will pay off and I am sure that it will. Planning on doing the same tomorrow.

Will pop in every so often to see how you are progressing.

25/12/2012 at 23:50
Had a wonderful day Minni, hope you did too. Think cooking, cleaning and entertaining are far more exhausting than running! Never washed so many pots in one day before!

I'm hoping to do a five mile race in the morning, depending on the weather and how I feel in the morning after eating and drinking far to much today- dont think it will be a day for a PB!

Congratulations Carl on getting out there today, 6 miles is fabulous, far better than my poxy three! It's so hard to run slower but hopefully we will get use to it. I have a feeling I might be plodding tomorrow (if i run) after too much turkey, Christmas cake and pudding, baileys and wine, I feel double my normal size! Thankyou for promising to pop in. Hope you've had a fabulous Xmas so far.
26/12/2012 at 08:01
Well done Carl. I promise it will pay off. I, like so many others, spent years not making any real improvemt in my race times, even though I could bang out good training runs. I used to finishes every race with a feeling of frustration and couldn't understand why I wasn't getting any faster. I figured I just reached my potential and that was that. But by making simple adjustments to training - running the majority of miles slower than I had been and running the faster stuff faster, the quicker race times came naturally.

Hope the race goes well Sarah!
26/12/2012 at 09:25

Sounds like everyone had a good day yesterday including getting a run in

I would reiterate Minni's point about slowing down general training runs to get faster.  I had a habit of thinking just because I could run 8m/ms then that's what I would have to do every training run and unless I was there or there abouts I wasn't happy with my runs, but eventually after messing about for too many years I saw the light and slowed to get faster

Enjoy the race Sarah and anyone else doing Christmas races.  Off out for run with PRF and BR now and they'll be going slow for me for sure...

Edited: 26/12/2012 at 14:33
26/12/2012 at 17:01

Hi Sarah!

Glad you had a great Christmas!! Hope your 5 mile race went well this morning!

Did you wear your Christmas fairy outfit? I didn't get my Xmas parkrun in yesterday - did 5 miles in the dark instead. Seemed like a good idea at the time!

26/12/2012 at 20:06
Hope the 'slow' run went well today Hilly. At what point did you see the light and change your training? ie how long had you been running for, what were your PBs, and what did you then achieve?

How was the race Sarah?
26/12/2012 at 20:25

Hi Minni, I had been running for around 7 years before deciding to train properly.  I had plateaued for a number of years and was just happy to tootle about.  I did race and enjoy training, but never had the benefit of a forum like this as when I started the only really running information came from the magazine, say no more...  I also suffered a lot of injuries in the early years - lower legs, shin splints, stress fractures, lower back problems and then found the RW forums in 2003 I think.  I started listening to advice from others and then got the benefit of Mike Gratton to guide me which resulted in a marathon pb of 3.14.53  This is the link to my online thread with MG  which has my pbs at that time http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/hard-training-dawn-critchell-hilly/1476.html and this was my progression after that  http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=77565  As you can see since my best year of 2006 I have not really hit close to 3hours again, but have been in shape a few times to do so.  I'm 48 now and I think I might just give it one more go to achieve sub 3 paying more importance to the things I've ignored for a few years.  I had a friend who is the same age who did sub 3 last year and she has renewed my motivation to give it a go

Sarah - hope you had a good race.  A few friends of mine were there today, so have seen a few pictures.

Edited: 26/12/2012 at 20:27
26/12/2012 at 20:44
I'll have a read over that. Have you listened to the Derek Ivens interview on last week's marathon talk?

I am 43 and wonder how long I can continue to improve. There are loads of men on these forums who are continuing to get faster as they get older but not so many ladies, but they are out there. Was this the first time your friend had gone under 3?
26/12/2012 at 21:08

I haven't listened to it yet, but will do so

Yes, I believe it was my friends first time of sub 3.  She had got close a few times and had run a 1.22-1.23 HM.  I have another friend again the same age who has done it twice in the last couple of years so yes there are women out there still doing it.

What are your pbs?

26/12/2012 at 21:31
Definitely give it a listen Hilly. So you got your sub 3:15 with the coaching? Adnd did you then continue with it? Going down to 2:56 must have been an amazing feeling.

My PBs are:

5k 20:39
10k 42:57
HM 1:32:40
Mar: 3:20:40
81 to 100 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.