RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

121 to 140 of 2,270 messages
27/12/2012 at 14:00

The shorter the race, the more I would warm up.  For a marathon maybe just a few light strides.  For an 800m race I would try and do quite a lot of progressive running, drills and strides.

Having said that, the slowest mile of my best two marathons was the first one.

27/12/2012 at 15:11

Tenj - as above with nothing before a marathon.  My PB was run last year at GNR and I hardly managed any warm up and the first mile was quite slow.

Sarah - HERE is the link to an article 'rethinking junk miles', which I think is well worth a read.

seren nos    pirate
27/12/2012 at 19:34

liking the discusions on warm ups before races

27/12/2012 at 20:06
Hilly- some very impressive PBs there.
Sarah- well done on the race. 7mm in those conditions sounds very respectable.
I used to be useless with warm ups until I started being coached. Now I think nothing of running to the start of a race and back if its within 5m from home. I do get strange looks when I announce after a 7.5m xc that i don't need a ride as I'm warming down on the way home...
I do struggle however with big races. Often it's a choice between getting a good warm up in or ensuring that you position yourself in the correct pen with plenty of time to spare. I didn't do much warm up before the Reading half or Royal Parks for this reason but both races went well so not sure how much it affected me.
27/12/2012 at 20:40

Only just come across this thread.  Good luck Sarah.  I am sure that you will learn alot from Minni and the rest who will contribute on here.  Your shorter pbs suggest that 3.30 is within reach if your training goes well.

I am guilty of not warming up enough.  Usually a maximum of half a mile, but I do a good few strides within that and always seem to find my first mile too quick.  Always think I will do more to negate injury worries but never do!!

27/12/2012 at 20:44
Sarah has emailed me the schedule she has written and I'm looking through it. Thankfully I have an expert eye and have already spotted potential clashes with training and hangovers.
27/12/2012 at 20:52

Sarah- what did you base your schedule on or did someone help you write it?

27/12/2012 at 21:18
Hilly, sorry to hear about your illness earlier this year, there have been a few odd and persistent viruses circulating this year. It's so difficult to know when to rest and when to continue training as you want to make a full recovery but also don't want to loose all your fitness. I'm glad that you have now made a full recovery.

Thankyou again to all those that have commented on the warm ups, it's made me feel less naughty for not doing them properly (as I'm not on my own) but will in future schedule them in to a run/race....That and a proper cool down. When I go to a race I think my problem is needing to go to the bathroom to spend a penny and also talking to all those I know....I think I have been putting these first!

Thanks Minni for the link to that article. Will have a read once I've submitted this.

Thanks Brolish. The schedule I wrote myself adding in the races that I plan to do and the netball training and matches that I have. I used the programme that my mum wrote for me last year to help. Minni did kindly point out that I have planned a 7 mile run on New Year's Day......As I can't run New Year's Eve, i'm going to have to give it a go, but it might not be my most pleasurable of runs!
27/12/2012 at 21:21
Just reading through advanced marathoning by P&d, the physiology is.taking me back to my first few years at med school!
27/12/2012 at 21:34
Very interesting article Minni...I'm convinced and was about to say I need to add some recovery runs in, until I read the last bit about them being less needed if your only running 3-4 times a week like me. Although if I do end up running the day after a hard/difficult run, it's going to be an easier recovery run now rather than than two consecutive hard runs!
27/12/2012 at 21:45

Yes I know, that got me slightly too.  However, if you're running 4 times a week and you add in a couple of recovery or slow runs then you're up to 6.   What I liked about the article was the emphasis on the more you do the better you get - practicing improves the communication between the brain and muscles.

27/12/2012 at 22:13
I liked the comparison with the juggler.....it makes far more logical sense when you think of it in that way!
27/12/2012 at 22:35
That was an interesting article, though the less than 4 runs a week bit got me too...but I remember following Gazelle & Shaggy's thread this year and she was pretty conscientious about recovery runs. I confess I tend to think they are junk miles but she did them, I didn't , she got the time, I, err, didn't, so I will be doing them this time when I can.
27/12/2012 at 23:24

Just been catching up on the warm-up discussion. I am a big convert and have noticed a clear correlation between my warm up and race performance. My best races definitely come when I jog to the venue and then do some race pace work. It is a problem logistically at larger races though, I had a shocker at Royal Parks last year which I think was in no small part because I missed warming up entirely due to loo queues.

28/12/2012 at 09:21

Yes good article Minni.  I have to say my improvements came first by increasing my mileage on single runs and then adding in doubles.  Even if I could only run 4-5 times a week I would still try and do a few doubles.

Thanks Brolish.  We also have been known to run home from a race or run the race course, then the race, then the course again,  Mainly to get a few miles in!

Sarah - thanks.  I will be running on NYD too.  In fact we will be doing 2 parkruns, which should be interesting

I'm delaying my run until later today as went out on club social last night and am a bit this morning...

28/12/2012 at 09:44

Mr Puffy, you have just reinforced my decision to add recovery runs into my schedule! 

Weeble you sound like me with the toilets! Im meeting Minni at the park run tomorrow....I will be doing my first proper warm up....3 miles before doing the park run. I will let everyone know how I get on 

Good luck on NYD Hilly. How are you managing to fit 2 park runs in, I thought that they would all set of at the same time?

Im delaying my run too...my OH promised to come with me around derwent (as he doesnt like me going on my own) but he ended up going to the locals with his dad....think im going to wake him at 11, fingers crossed we will ne away by 12!! Hope you recover soon Hilly.

Edited: 28/12/2012 at 09:45
V4D
28/12/2012 at 09:52

I had to take my car in for a service so I decided to run back - I did remember to warm up first after reading this thread last night . Terrible weather out there this morning. Hope you get a good run in Sarah.

28/12/2012 at 09:57
Minni - about to PM you.....
28/12/2012 at 09:58

My paces; 

5K       06:40      to 
06:55 10K      06:55 07:00 Tempo  07:05 07:10 HM       07:16 07:21 Mara    07:45 08:00 Steady 07:55 08:40 Easy    08:50 09:30 Recov   09:35+-

My schedule for week one;

Monday; Rest

Tuesday; 8 mls consisiting of;

3 mile w/u starting at the slow end of easy, ending with a steady pace                

(9:30 - 7:55) 

5 x 100m strides

4 x 1m @ HMP (7:16-7:21) with 60 seconds recovery

c/d

wednesday; 3m recovery - slow (9:35 +) 

Thursday; Rest

Friday; 15 mile easy pace (8:50-9:30)

Saturday; Rest

Sunday; 8 ml easy pace (8:50 - 9:30)

Weekly milage; 34 

Edited: 28/12/2012 at 09:59
28/12/2012 at 10:01

Thankyou for the warning Vanessa...fingers crossed it will settle down by the time I get out .

121 to 140 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.