RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

1,701 to 1,720 of 2,270 messages
23/04/2013 at 22:33
By the way, I followed Ruth's carbo loading guidelines (well apart from the Thai on Friday night) and it definitely worked for me. I think you did too Sarah?
23/04/2013 at 22:36
Tee hee! All the attention! Yipeeeeeee!! Hmm perhaps too much French wine... Thinking its about time for a Sarah-esque alcohol ban- perhaps as soon as we touch down in gatwick tomorrow though that might lead to a severe case of post holiday blues...
23/04/2013 at 22:45
I can't wait to have a drink! I will wait till the weekend now though.

I'm thinking about the Sandstone Trail now, less than three weeks away. If this cold clears up I'll do a couple of recce's of around 13-15 miles on the route before the race
23/04/2013 at 22:54

Out tonight just 3.3 but a long road to go

23/04/2013 at 22:57

3:30 or bust - wrong thread!  Not that it matters.  There are two RW Forum Six sub 3:30 threads and my name is attached to both! lol

23/04/2013 at 23:43
Im not sure how I have managed this as I got home at a reasonable time after work (due to not running) but ive still ran out of time to come on here and post anything meaningful, which I apologise for.....I promise to join in with you all tomorrow morning (have the day off to attend a tribunal in the afternoon). I have the third 5 miler road race to complete tomorrow evening.....slowly!
24/04/2013 at 10:31
Hi Carter, thankyou ever so much for your kind words. Im planning on doing the South Yorkshire championship 5 miler tonight but im going to take it steady/easy. Im even tempted to leave my watch at home so im just running according to how I feel.

Where abouts will you be marshalling at sheffield so I know where to look for you. I will be wearing my green and yellow maltby top.

I hope that your injury soon heals and your back up and running soon, thankyou for all your support.
24/04/2013 at 10:42
Morning Malcs.

It took me a while, but I think I get it with the wind now...took some time to sink in (whilst digging out all my A level physics knowledge from 13 years ago!)

"software for simulating satallite radio interference" your one clever man!!

I usually like hills but im not sure if I would welcome them in a marathon, although saying that, last year I kept wanting a hill just so I could use some different muscles and rest the others that had been working so hard. This year I was ok though.

Does Mrs Malcs know you have been wearing her compression gear ????

Im thinking about York marathon already...need to knock at least 9 mins of my time....in a panic already!!!!
24/04/2013 at 10:55
Morning Angela....I think your probably right about the 6 pack. I would love one but like you I seem to store my fat around my abdomen (the classic apple). No matter what I do I always seem to have a bit of a belly...even when ive been doing weights 3 times a week on my abs and not been drinking any alcohol. When I was at uni I weighed just under 7 stone and I still had a bit of a belly.....think I might give up on the dream and just concentrate on the running!

Ive heard loads of good reports on Berlin marathon, it certainly sounds like a good one to do. I did the berlin big 25k last year which followed some of the course but finished in the olympic stadium and I loved it.

How far are you running this week for your long run?

Minni sent me a picture of seb coe on facebook....will try and put it up on here later for you...the picture helped me round the marathon as it was spot on...if you have done the right training, have tapered properly and you have your nutrition right, you should get the time you want. I have faith in you.
24/04/2013 at 11:06
Hi Andy, again I feel the same as you, I was over the moon with my time, but even more ecstatic with how I felt all the way round, the miles just seemed to disappear so quickly and I loved the whole experience, such a contrast from last year.

I used the foam roller on monday night and then did some self massage with the massage gel sample we got free in our finishers bag, which I think has helped but probably wasnt as good as yours. Luckily at work im up every 12 minutes to call in my next patient so I think that may have helped alittle yesterday. Not sure I would have been able to have run for a train like you though. With the exception of a minimal tiredness in my hamstrings my legs feel fine today...no idea how they will feel once I attempt to run tonight though!!

I wonder if it was around mile 19 when my watched played up then? I thought it was earlier in the race but I could be wrong. Last time I tried to upload my data from my garmin on to the computer it was a nightmare (computer hasnt been the same since it got a virus about a year ago) so ive not even attempted to down load it. Tend to use my ipad all the time now.
24/04/2013 at 11:13
Morning Mr P, im glad to hear that you have taken some time of to rest and recuperate. Touch wood im not normally ill, but last year when I was I continued to work and train at the tail end of the illness and prolonged my recovery and I think even caused either a reactivation of the illness, or infection with something else similar straight afterwards. Now I realise the importance of rest and having time of to recover (doctors are always the worse patients...but im getting better).

I fancied chester marathon last year but I was on holiday. I think it sounds like a lovely race and with it being in your home town you will be at an advantage. No travelling, no site seeing the day before, can practice the routes etc. I think it is perfect. Like you said you have put in all the hard work now so all what you will need to do is maintain your fitness and endurance over the summer. I reckon you will comfortably get your sub 3:30 in October.

Whats the sandstone trail (if I have remembered the name correctly)?
24/04/2013 at 11:26
Hi Minni,

Thankyou for your lovely words and comments. Thankyou for having faith in me and for all your support. For the last 16 weeks and especially in the final week I was worried about feeling as bad as I did last year. Even when I was running I kept waiting for that wall to hit and for me to start feeling pants but it never happened. I think I finally realised by mile 24 that I had cracked it and that I wasnt going to have a bad experience. I thought that all marathons would be painful, but ive realised with the correct training, rest and nutrition, they can be a fun and enjoyable event.

Im feeling excited about training over the summer now ready for york marathon, but im still wondering how im going to run 9 mins quicker....will see how training goes but I may have to do York as a stepping stone towards my dads PB, but we will see.

Like you I followed Ruths carbo loading plan, I did it on both the friday and saturday and feel that it helped.

What are your plans this week to keep you sane with not running?

Its the five miler tonight but im going to do it as a recovery run and see how I get on. My legs feel surprisingly ok at the moment but that might change once they start to run again. After tonight I wont run again until sunday at the earliest.

Whats the aim for your next marathon?
24/04/2013 at 11:35
A Huge congratulations Dotty on a fabulous new shiny PB. Just think what you could do with the proper nutrition, less sight seeing and everything else...you will be flying round!

I saw two men in mankinis....one was in a green one and another was in a white one. The guy in the white one looked quite old. All i could think about was their costumes rubbing and how badly they would get sunburnt. I know my shoulders did! Did these guys practice running in their costumes do you think??

I think I would be tempted to take edinburgh as a training run to practice nutrition etc and then race berlin. Not sure I could physically race another marathon anyway within the next month, but ive only ever done the two.
24/04/2013 at 12:58
Thank you Sarah. Good luck with the five miler tonight. Is it a tough course? Hopefully not too many hills! I'll be interested to hear how your legs cope. I was tempted to go out for a wee run this morning but then thought I'd better leave it for a couple of more days.

I was stuck behind the old guy in white but it was funny seeing the various crowd reactions to him. I just wonder how he felt at mile 20 about their cheers of support.
24/04/2013 at 13:39
sarah osborne wrote (see)
"software for simulating satallite radio interference" your one clever man!! 

Does Mrs Malcs know you have been wearing her compression gear ???? 

Im thinking about York marathon already...need to knock at least 9 mins of my time....in a panic already!!!!

No, not clever at all really. Most of the fancy stuff was done by the guys with PhDs but I did manage to absorb a bit.

Mrs Malcs is still none the wiser so shh, keep the noise down!

Yes York is firmly on my radar too - funny really as my quads are still mush. But don't you have a small matter of a 24hr race and 3 mountains to climb first?!

Angela - have a great flight back!

Dotty - wow you really did start off well. I see what you mean about tailing off a bit at the end. Fantastic result still and shows that if you can sort the tail off out you'll be heading to 3:15!

Minni - I also did the carbo load that Ruth prepped for Ady and it worked wonders. 

24/04/2013 at 14:02

Sandstone Trail, 33 miles, quite a climb too..

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/376129/gallery/st_map_main.jpg?width=350

24/04/2013 at 14:06

Hi all

Just wanted to grab the chance to congratulate everyone on their times at london, especially Malcs, Sarah and Minni.

I managed it in 3:47 in the end and i'm not too disappointed for a first go.

I found a post i wrote last year that said something along the lines of 'I want to do Silverstone half in 1:40 and London marathon in 4:30' ... great to see that after hitting 1:30 and 3:47 respectively.

All of your advice really helped with the marathon prep and on the day so thank you very much.

24/04/2013 at 14:35

Sean - that's fantastic! Well done. I hope you will be doing another one? With that HM time you are easily capable of thrashing 3:30 and beyond.

So what happened with the pen in the end? Did you still end up at the back?

Would love to hear a race report when you have time. How were those final 6 miles?

Mr P - Hope the cold is easing. Wow that looks like quite a challenge! I would love to do an ultra at some point. Looks like a very pretty course.

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 14:36
24/04/2013 at 14:38

Malcs - Thank you. Bigger congrats on your time, 26 minutes is outrageuos! I just wrote a really long report and my browser went mental lost it... I gave you credit in there and everything.

I'll write it again, in word this time, and get it on here asap

24/04/2013 at 15:00

Oh dear - yes, it's an unwritten rule of the forums that if any post is over a few paras you are always best copying it somewhere before pressing the commit button.

Also, if it's a long one then beware as there is a maximum length for a post. Don't worry just split it over several posts.

Looking forward to hearing how you got on!

1,701 to 1,720 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.