RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

1,781 to 1,800 of 2,270 messages
30/04/2013 at 09:47

Hi Dotty! If you are 42 and a woman, then I am happy to tell you that you are GFA for London   you need sub 3:50, which I believe you spectacularly smashed a couple of weeks ago.  With you all getting GFA, we better hope I get a ballot place so we can all do it together next year

Minni - what happens when you're faster than GFA?  Do you start with the elite women at???

With photos, I've done 2 marathons, both marathon majors, and I've ended up buying the CD/DVD thing they give you with all the photos on- nice bit of memorabilia of the event, and they do tend to send offers through.  so I would wait to buy it until maybe June-ish if/when they send a 20% off offer.  That way, you can make your own adjustments to the photo, print it out, put it on facebook or whatever

For parkrun, I was getting annoyed that we didn't have one in Colchester.  I had signed up to Parkrun about 3 years ago when I still lived in London, with Greenwich as my local, but I never actually made it there to run - always had good intentions.  I figured that I would find one local enough to me in Colchester, but when I moved there were NONE anywhere nearby.  In December, I looked again, and the closest 2 were both 20 minutes drive away - still a bit of an effort for me on a Saturday morning, so I thought I'd see about setting one up in Colchester and contacted parkrun-  they put me in contact with someone in our council who already had plans underway - they had already secured funding, and the one thing holding it up was having someone as an Event director, and enough volunteers to make up the CORE team, so I figured whats a Saturday morning every month or so to make sure  I have a 5k run available to me every week, so am part of the core team.  We managed to get it started pretty quickly once we had a CORE team, and its great- already in 1 month I feel more integrated in the running community.

On my long run on Sunday, I saw my friends parents having a beer in the nice riverside pub- they're runners so have both been doing parkrun, and were sitting with another chap who i recognised from the parkrun but hadn't spoken to... figured out he's the guy with the top age graded time for our run... something crazy like 18 minutes and he's in his 60s...  Always in awe at a parkrun 

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 09:48
30/04/2013 at 09:50

Hmm dotty, I think I misunderstood your aim of 3:10... and that it didn't have anything to do with GFA - clearly you already know your GFA and I'm an idiot! 

30/04/2013 at 12:16

Just checking in - crazy busy here so not been on much.

Angela - 12 days to go, how are you coping?

Sarah - yep, I did get a run in and it was great. Going out again today if I can find time. Nice easy week and then I need to plan what to do next. How are you feeling now? All back to normal I would imagine?

Good to hear the house is going well. We found a house we really liked on Saturday. Offered asking price yesterday but they went with someone who had nothing to sell who had offered less. Only went on the market Friday evening. And another coupel had offered on it too. Crazy.

Dotty - not seen the dirty rat yet but he can't hide forever! 

Wow, 3:10 as a target is amazing. I'm hoping that one day I might just sneak under 3:15 but I have some way to go.

Sean - I never understood why they price those things so high. If they halfed the prices I'm convinced they would have 4x the income but then again I'm no Alan Sugar.

Minni - question for you. I have until about mid-June before York training proper starts. I was thinking that doing a bit of base building and leaving speedwork for the training programme itself would be best - what do you think? 

By base building I'm assuming this is just lots of time on my feet at a slow pace but if there's anything different I should do please let me know. Thanks coach!

30/04/2013 at 13:30

Hi Malcs, I am coping by thinking about the 100 mile bike ride i'll be doing on August 4th.... just spend a weee bit of money in cycle surgery, and the training plan is supposed to start n May 13th....

coping by dreaming too:

I was going to do an easy 4 miles this morning, but I went to bed quite early last night, and slept really well, and when my eyes opened at 6:10, having forgotten to set an alarm for 6am to run,, I felt sooooooo cozy, and I was thinking about getting up, but then I slipped into a dream about a bouncy castle being part of Colchester Castle parkrun course, and it collapsing as I was running through it... by the time I escaped, it was 7am and I had to get ready for work
My whole being feels better for the sleep, though I am starting to suffer hayfever, and although have been on the tablets for 3 days, they don't yet seem very effective...

12 days to go eeek!!!   i need to get more energy.  I need to remember to take my nighttime recovery shakes....
I need to remember not to drink alcohol, or eat bad fats!!! argh, will I keep it up for 12 more days???

30/04/2013 at 15:13

Hi angela, I cant believe that your marathon is only 12 days away...are you excited?? If I can avoid alcohol for 3 weeks, I have faith in you that you can go without for a few weeks too....its amazing how much better it makes you feel. I had a glass of wine on three nights over the last week and felt much better without it the following day...I must be getting old!!

I was hoping that I might just be able to scrape a sub 20:00 for my next park run but that will be on a flat course so im not sure about getting a new record on your course!

I hadnt realised that they had changed the GFA for VLM for next year, I guess with Boston doing it last year, it was only a matter of time before London did too. So is it sub 3:45 now?

I entered my other half into london for next year - he actually enjoyed watching it so much this year and thought that he might give it a go (although this will depend on how the rest of his training for skye half and the GNR go!)

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 15:14
30/04/2013 at 15:18
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

evening everyone, I enjoyed the parkrun, but I was a bit hungover tbh, 23:18 so room for improvement.

mrs P has bought the beach idea big time Sarah, so we may well be off to Kefalonia next month.  But then I keep thinking of all the times we've promised ourselves a trip to Edinburgh, or to see the cemetery at Kintail again (Mrs P's grandma was a McRae) and I waver.

i used to be a lorry driver years ago, before mrs p made me give it up and get a life, and I remember a trip up to Perth in the snow, I parked there overnight and the a9 was closed so to get to my load in Aberdeen I had to cut across through Keith to Glencoe, it was an amazing drive, I'll never forget it.  Mrs P used to holiday on Skye with her mum when she was little, her mums ashes are scattered there.

now I wonder why on earth we are thinking of any where else 

Still a fab time 6 days after london, recovering from an illness and with a hangover
Ive always wanted to go to Kefalonia, it looks like such a beautiful island, although like you said scotland, especially glencoe, loch ness and skye are amazing

30/04/2013 at 15:20
SeanAlexMartin wrote (see)

Hi guys, just wondering, does anyone know anything about discount codes or anything for MarathonFoto? 

Bit Pricey but there is one good photo of me i think is worth having, if the price isnt ridiculous (which it generally is).

Thanks

It will be worth it no matter the cost...ive still got mine up from last year...didnt look as good as I did this year, but every day when I see it it reminds me of my achievements

30/04/2013 at 15:24

Right I had better get on with some work before my PM clinic starts in 5...will catch up with you all again later...cant decided whether to do a 10k race after work or not??

30/04/2013 at 21:45

Hi Andy, I know what you mean about having a weekend free to do as you please, and to spend it at thomas land sounds like a fabulous way to spend it.

I was working sat morning, then had to get down to bramall lane for the match, followed by a 65th birthday party so I still didnt have much time free. Sunday was alittle better but I did a slow 5.6 miles after a sleep in, that appeared to take up all my morning....weekends go far to quickly!

Im tempted to go to the railway museum in York this weekend and maybe to the minster. Ive lived here for over 5 years and still havent been!

im one of those that bought a radiculously over priced photo of me at my first marathon....but I wanted to remember the moment...I guess thats how they get away with it. This year chris and friends got a few photos of me so I didnt even have to consider buying a photo this year (and it wasnt my first marathon)!

Sounds like you put your legs through their paces yesterday!

30/04/2013 at 21:51
Dotty1 wrote (see)

Sarah - glad the 5 miler went well. Last two miles at 6.35 m/m pace, very impressive. Fingers crossed for the 3rd lady prize. Is the next race this week? Great photos too, you look so fresh. Not sure if I would look that happy at mile 2 let alone mile 22.

On today's subject of GFA, as a 42 year old I'm hoping (now praying!) that endurance improves with age. If I'm going to attempt sub 3.10, I better get a move on! I took up running again when I was 38 and ran my first marathon when I was 40. The way you are going Angela, you will definitely be a much faster runner in your 40's and 30's than me.

Thankyou Dotty. The next 5 miler is a week tomorrow, so fingers crossed. I couldnt get the afternoon off work but they have done it so I start and finsih an hour earlier so hopefully I will make it there in time. Just have to hope that the traffics ok, sometimes in york it can be horrendous.

Sub 3:10 would be amazing...is that the aim for your next marathon?

30/04/2013 at 21:53
Dotty1 wrote (see)
Just brilliant, Minni ! In awe of your marathon time. I hope I can follow in your footsteps. I thought I was the oldest woman on this thread. You look in your twenties in your photo.

Minni looks in her 20's in person too...it must be all the running keeping her looking young.

30/04/2013 at 22:03
Malcs wrote (see)

Just checking in - crazy busy here so not been on much.

Angela - 12 days to go, how are you coping?

Sarah - yep, I did get a run in and it was great. Going out again today if I can find time. Nice easy week and then I need to plan what to do next. How are you feeling now? All back to normal I would imagine?

Good to hear the house is going well. We found a house we really liked on Saturday. Offered asking price yesterday but they went with someone who had nothing to sell who had offered less. Only went on the market Friday evening. And another coupel had offered on it too. Crazy.

Minni - question for you. I have until about mid-June before York training proper starts. I was thinking that doing a bit of base building and leaving speedwork for the training programme itself would be best - what do you think? 

By base building I'm assuming this is just lots of time on my feet at a slow pace but if there's anything different I should do please let me know. Thanks coach!

Hi Malcs, glad you enjoyed your run. Did you make it out today? I decided to do that 10k race tonight but decided to run it with how I felt...I must have felt good as I got a new 10k PB of 42:06 on a hilly course.

I feel almost back to normal. I managed to touch my toes for the first time yesterday but I have a feeling that im not going to be able to manage it again tonight!

You must live in such a popular area, I cant believe that houses sell so quickly, it must be so frustrating for you. 

Im trying to concentrate on speed over the next two months before starting training for York at the start of july, but I will try to keep myself ticking over at 13-15 miles for my long runs so I can do my first 18 miler in my second week of marathon training and a 20 miler in the third or fourth week.

30/04/2013 at 22:12

Heya, yes our new GFa standard is 3:45... 

Well done on your 10k pb... I have a 10k on 26th may and hoping to set a pb there- I've still never done a 10k faster than my first one in 2008!!! Crazy huh?

Im starting to have phantom niggles when I run- had a pain in my knee on Sunday... Had a sports massage tonigh and asked him to check it out- he said there was absolutely nothing wrong as well as zero swelling, which is good coz for most of last year it was almost always swollen to some extent.

my hamstrings are a bit tight, but otherwise all good.  Contemplating whether to stretch more or not... Some tension in the muscles is a good thing surely....

30/04/2013 at 22:29

Sarah - well done on the sneaky 10k pb. You little tinker!!

dotty - that photo is from Meadows half a couple of years ago. 

Angela - is your marathon Next weekend? 

Malcs - it's really important that you recover from this marathon over the next few weeks.  Trying to do too much is a sure way to injury (ignore Sarah - she's a breed of her own  ) Which schedule did you follow last time and are you going to do the same next time?   

Lol I wish I did look 20 something! 

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 22:32
30/04/2013 at 22:31

Evening everyone, went to the gym tonight, a twenty minute session on the rowing machine, bit of abductor then the hill session on the treadmill, felt very comfortable.

that sounds like a good plan Sarah, I will not be doing any longer runs midweek for a while, but def keeping up the weekend runs. I'll do 13-15 this weekend prior to the sandstone trail next week.

So looking forward to some 5 and 10k races coming up, and finally doing a half marathon this year!

re alcohol, I think I've seen the difference this time, not so much in running terms but just generally. I only had one beer with my chili earlier

30/04/2013 at 22:39

Hi Minni, my marathon is on 12th May.

01/05/2013 at 11:18

Angela - good to hear you're keeping your mind in check. Don't have a nervous breakdown like I did  That said it did make me sleep well the night before so perhaps I should be recommending it?

I think sleep is totally underrated these days. I reckon I got more quality sleep on this campaign than any other and I do believe it was a real help. As for dreaming of bouncy castles etc. if it gets you to the morning fully rested then I reckon that's a good thing too

"I need to remember not to drink alcohol" ha I can imagine you now, halfway through a glass of wine when the penny drops - d'oh!

Sarah - blimey, back to normal you certainly are (hmm, slipped into Yoda there). Wow a 10K PB two weeks after a marathon PB. I am in awe.

Mr P - I reckon cutting out the booze has helped me too. The only problem now is I am a complete lightweight. One beer and I'm under the table. The less I've had the less I've wanted it. Quite nice in a way but Mrs Malcs isn't happy because she feels like an alcoholic in comparison. She has often thought of disguising it in a paper bag to deal with the guilt.

Minni - Many thanks, I think you're right. Deep down I know I'm still not 100% (and sadly I am no SO). So should I just keep it to short stuff or longer slow stuff? I'm not in any rush to get into speedwork

If I go easy over the next two weeks and just do recovery running what do you reckon the best strategy would be for me looking towards York?

If I start mid May there will be about 22 weeks or so - ten more than I had in the last campaign. I know I still need to improve endurance but if I want to get comfortably under 3:30 (and by that I mean into the low 3:20's - might as well be ambitious) I will have to do some speed work at some point. 

Are you doing an autumn marathon - can't remember if you said? When do you start training if you are?

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 11:25
01/05/2013 at 11:46

Malcs, this time of year, its not wine thats the problem... Its so nice and sunny out, that my mind wanders to a cheeky pint at lunchtime.  And then on the way home, my walk between the office and the train station must pass at least 10 bars and pubs (its only a 5 minute walk) and the sweet smell of beer lures me... then, if I get an intercity train, I could always grab a quick G&T for the ride home!!! and with less training to think about, there's more time to think about drinking!!! ARGH!!! well, so far so good, haven't had anything since a bottle and a half of peroni and a G+T on Sunday... And the hayfever meds seems to have kicked in.  Contemplating a 5 miler at lunchtime since I'm working from home today.

I've also been invited to a hash run on Monday evening- you heard of hash house harriers?  I really want to do it, but a little concerned, as it'll all be off road, and ends in a pub.  they are described as 'the drinking club with a running problem'... alas, I may need to wait until after the marathon to enjoy their frolics.

Its funny, was discussing with my fiance the other day whether we should do our first long bike ride the week after my marathon on the saturday or the sunday, given we have stuff on on both mornings... he said 'let the weather decide', i said why don't we just check the forecast now, for getting that its 3 weeks away and still have the small matter of the marathon to run before... d'oh

Certainly a bit of denial in  my taper madness!!!

I had another early night and long sleep last night, and feeling EVEN better- loads of energy now.  I'm trying to loosely follow SiS pre-race nutrition strategy:

http://www.scienceinsport.com/sports-nutrition/nutrition-for-running-marathon/  though not going overboard on their nitrate gels,as they're minging, but instead drinking beeple (beetroot and apple) juice, which is yum

During race, I get sick of all the gels, so will use my trusty chia seeds with electrolyte drink, as well as a gel every 45 minutes...

After.... KFC and beer - see the fine balance of protein and carbs for my recovery!!  I actually discovered I am a big fan of alcohol free beer after running the berlin marathon, so might order some of that in!

01/05/2013 at 13:24

Angela - from previous post:  if you're faster than GFA then you're on the Championship start.

I picked up some freebie chia seeds at the expo but not sure what to do with them.

Malcs - slowly start to build the mileage up again, but definitely take it easy for another week or so.  Have you got a schedule to follow?

01/05/2013 at 13:33

Minni - sorry, forgot to answer that one. No I don't have a schedule. I was just going to build my own like I did last time. Do you think it's better to use a pre-made one?

1,781 to 1,800 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.