RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

1,801 to 1,820 of 2,270 messages
01/05/2013 at 13:38

It worked for you the last time so no reason why it won't work again.   Just keep the main emphasis on your endurance and those long runs.  You're talking about a 22 week build up, which is quite long.  Are you planning on using the first few weeks to build back up to a long run of 18 miles, or hoping to be at level at the start of the 22?

How many 20m or over did you do this time?

01/05/2013 at 13:40

Minni, I don't know if you read the rival magazine Women's Running, but there's a 1 pager in there about chia seeds-  I could photo and email it to you if you're interested.

I just mix up my Sis electrolyte drink before I go running and add about a teaspoon of chia to each 250ml bottle.  I haven't tried them with just water- I think the sweetness of the drink mix perhaps makes them more palatable as when its cold its like sipping on a slush puppy

01/05/2013 at 14:25

Minni - indeed it did seem to work nicely. You read my mind - first 4-6 weeks I was thinking mostly slow running building up to 18 mile LSRs. then after that 16 weeks of training with some speed work (though not sure whether to do that all the way through the 16 weeks or introduce it nearer the end). 

This last time round I did 4 20+ runs and only one 18 as I only had 14 weeks including taper. I'd like to try and double that this time. 

Do you think that all makes sense?

I guess the speedwork aspect is the one I'm least sure about - when and how much to do. I think I will need to get my HM time down a bit on this campaign.

Thanks for your help!

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 14:25
01/05/2013 at 19:52

I think the more 20s you can do the better (within reason!) I did 9 this time but I do recover quite quickly from them. If it takes you longer to recover then you need to be more careful.   

Angela - that would be great. I'll pm you my email address. 

01/05/2013 at 21:19

Minni - many thanks once again. My programme was a bit compressed last time so I'm hoping I can squeeze in more 20s and have the recovery time I need. I won't make as many as 9 but if I can get 6-8 in I'll be very happy.

Angela - sounds like your day is one big alcohol temptation nightmare! You're doing well not to arrive home plastered

So you're a beer fan then? I wouldn't claim to be any kind of expert but I do like an ale every now and again. The alcohol free beer sounds interesting - do you get it from the supermarket or is it order only? Do you have a link?

01/05/2013 at 21:27

I read Women's running, we get it and men's running at work because we advertise in them, men's running is rubbish but the women's one is really good.  

Resting tonight looking at holidays 

01/05/2013 at 21:29

Hi Minni, I've taken the pictures so awaiting ur email

Malcs they are available in the supermarket- I say order in because I never set foot in a super market- most of my grub comes from Abel and cole, then I do an online shop from a supermarket probably about once every couple of months.

The brand i've found to be widely available is called Bavaria.  U can also get becks blue which isn't as tasty but more widely available in pubs and restaurants.  If u can find erdinger, get that - in Berlin they had it down to a fine art- a nice frothy head despite no alcohol- managed to fine that Beauty in a restaurant in Dublin f all places!

i used to go to the stowmarket ale festival with my dad almost every year- it always falls on the weekend of my birthday, so we'd get the train there and get tipsy ale tasting together- such fun! . Early July if ur up for it

01/05/2013 at 21:30

Ooo mr p I'm intrigued, what dya advertise?

01/05/2013 at 22:20

Thanks Angela! 

01/05/2013 at 22:37

Angela I'll PM you...

02/05/2013 at 00:05
Minni - last time I ran laps around the Meadows I was 22. I was in my final year at Art school and running in the morning helped with the stress. Just wish now that I had kept it up, rather than waiting another 16 years!

Angela - All that talk of alcohol made me open a bottle of red wine tonight! Now watching A Town of Runners to get back in training mode. I think the 10miles I had planned for tomorrow are going to be hard.
02/05/2013 at 09:33

Welcome to the AA thread (Angela's Alcoholics). 

She drinks a Whiskey drink, she drinks a Vodka drink, she drinks a Lager drink, she drinks a Cider drink...

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 09:34
02/05/2013 at 09:35

Ahh dotty, thankfully I read this this morning, rather than last night when i was dying fora G+T whilst watching tele!  Wasn't helped by the fact that David cracked open a bottle of beer in front of me.  I've not heard of 'A Town of Runners'... what is is?

10 days to go... eeeeek!

02/05/2013 at 10:20
It's a documentary about the young athletes from Bekoji in Ethiopia who hope to follow in the footsteps of their local heroes. Many of the greatest long distance Ethiopian runners grew up in this village. It's well worth a watch. But it's heartbreaking to see the conditions these young athletes train in.

Better get myself organised for my run. Head not too bad after the red wine last night but must remember to avoid forum when Angela is on way home from work!
02/05/2013 at 11:20

Angela's Alcoholics!!! I like it!!!  CAn you believe I have a horrible headache right now.  I'm pretty sure its caused by day 4 without the sweet sweet beer.  Angela doesn't drink a whiskey drink... she learned at about 18 that that tends to result in projectile 

I shall have to dig out that docu Dotty!  Have you read 'Running with the Kenyans'?  I just read it - obviously based in Kenya, but makes me want to go there, and also makes me angry that athletics isn't a more lucrative career here.  So many kids aspire to be footballers, but you don't hear many these days saying 'I want to be a long distance runner'  though perhaps with Mo Farah that will change.

02/05/2013 at 21:25

Angela - I'm with you on the whiskey. It is the foulest of poinsons. I not ashamed to say that I am partial to a Southern Comfort but that's as close to whiskey as I'll go.

Not a great time to be off the booze with all this sunny weather. I must admit that I'm quite tempted by a cold one when it gets like this. 

I assume you have something nice and easy planned running wise for the weekend? After that it's a few jogs and then race day!

Dotty - did you say a while back that you're doing Edinburgh or did I just make that up?

02/05/2013 at 21:34

you lot need to try a good single malt, blended whiskies are foul.

One of my printer contacts is a lady from Iteh(?) she runs and I rib her about how the other runners mustithing she's an elite. 

Club run tonight, very enjoyable along the canal towpath in the twilight.

02/05/2013 at 22:22

Ello Ello, went out for an easy 3 tonight, meant to be 4 but my horrible headache still here . At the weekend I'm planning on doing the Parkrun at marathon pace, and then an easy 8 on Sunday.  I might join in on a hash run on Monday evening, and then    probably nothing but a gentle jog on Saturday, then a run around the country side for 4ish hours

my madness is manifesting itself in me writing down paces all day long and calculating how far off my target I'll be if I'm off pace by this amount for this long.

i caved and had an alcohol free beer tonight.  Seems to have hit the spot

03/05/2013 at 00:00
Malcs - yes, I'm running Edinburgh at the end of the month. During my 10 miles run this morning I was getting a wee pain on my left hip so I have decided to follow Minni's advice and not to race Edinburgh. I'll use it to practise my race nutrition since I got it wrong at London. Though saying that if the weather is good on the day and my legs are feeling alright I may not be able to stop myself from racing it.

Mr P - do you have a favourite malt? I don't like the peaty, smokey ones like Arbeg, more a Balvenvie girl. I hate to sound like a Scottish cliche but whisky is the only alcoholic drink that doesn't give me a sore head the next day.

Angela - I've got that book too! It's next on my list to read once I've finished Gone Girl. Then it's Bradley Wiggons autobiography and Ghost Runner. Training plan looks good for next week. Will you manage to behave yourself if you join the Hash run on Monday? Not long to go now.
03/05/2013 at 07:36
Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Heya, yes our new GFa standard is 3:45... 

Well done on your 10k pb... I have a 10k on 26th may and hoping to set a pb there- I've still never done a 10k faster than my first one in 2008!!! Crazy huh?

Im starting to have phantom niggles when I run- had a pain in my knee on Sunday... Had a sports massage tonigh and asked him to check it out- he said there was absolutely nothing wrong as well as zero swelling, which is good coz for most of last year it was almost always swollen to some extent.

my hamstrings are a bit tight, but otherwise all good.  Contemplating whether to stretch more or not... Some tension in the muscles is a good thing surely....

Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Malcs, this time of year, its not wine thats the problem... Its so nice and sunny out, that my mind wanders to a cheeky pint at lunchtime.  And then on the way home, my walk between the office and the train station must pass at least 10 bars and pubs (its only a 5 minute walk) and the sweet smell of beer lures me... then, if I get an intercity train, I could always grab a quick G&T for the ride home!!! and with less training to think about, there's more time to think about drinking!!! ARGH!!! well, so far so good, haven't had anything since a bottle and a half of peroni and a G+T on Sunday... And the hayfever meds seems to have kicked in.  Contemplating a 5 miler at lunchtime since I'm working from home today.

I've also been invited to a hash run on Monday evening- you heard of hash house harriers?  I really want to do it, but a little concerned, as it'll all be off road, and ends in a pub.  they are described as 'the drinking club with a running problem'... alas, I may need to wait until after the marathon to enjoy their frolics.

Its funny, was discussing with my fiance the other day whether we should do our first long bike ride the week after my marathon on the saturday or the sunday, given we have stuff on on both mornings... he said 'let the weather decide', i said why don't we just check the forecast now, for getting that its 3 weeks away and still have the small matter of the marathon to run before... d'oh

Certainly a bit of denial in  my taper madness!!!

I had another early night and long sleep last night, and feeling EVEN better- loads of energy now.  I'm trying to loosely follow SiS pre-race nutrition strategy:

http://www.scienceinsport.com/sports-nutrition/nutrition-for-running-marathon/  though not going overboard on their nitrate gels,as they're minging, but instead drinking beeple (beetroot and apple) juice, which is yum

During race, I get sick of all the gels, so will use my trusty chia seeds with electrolyte drink, as well as a gel every 45 minutes...

After.... KFC and beer - see the fine balance of protein and carbs for my recovery!!  I actually discovered I am a big fan of alcohol free beer after running the berlin marathon, so might order some of that in!

Morning Angela...thankyou for keeping this thread going with everyone else whilst I have been catching up with all those things I put to one side during the first 16 weeks of this year!

I know I havent been training for 10ks specifically but I found it so much more easier

1,801 to 1,820 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.