Sarah Osbourne with Minni

1,901 to 1,920 of 2,270 messages
12/05/2013 at 06:57

Well dotty, that is partially ur fault for running so fast

eek race starts in 3 hours!

12/05/2013 at 07:50

good luck!

12/05/2013 at 08:54

Mr P - wow, sounds like quite an experience, well done indeed! I felt in pain just reading it. Hope you feel ok today. 

Minni - forgot to ask, what happened to your calf? Nothing too serious I hope. 

Sarah & Angela - looking forward to hearing how you get on today. Fingers crossed for you both.

12/05/2013 at 09:20

Malcs - I don't really know. It just came on and was very achy so I'm now into day 7 of 10 days no running. Did mega cross training yesterday and planned bootcamp this morning but decided to go and watch the Falcons v Leeds instead.  

I think I need to add strengthening into my schedule. I know Sarah does lots of gym stuff so maybe can give some tips?

Hope Angela and DS have great runs. It's still windy here so hope they don't have that. 

12/05/2013 at 14:54

Minni - hmm, maybe a minor strain. Right idea to rest it. Glad you got to see the rugby. I've been working all weekend. Apparently Leicester vs Quins was a corker yesterday but I missed it. Didn't even get to see the Scarlets go out to Ulster the other night 

I've been wanting to do more strength stuff too. I used to do loads of gym work when I was playing more rugby but I do hardly any now.

Yes, fingers crossed for Angela. If you pop over to the 26.2 thread you'll see how DS2 got on. 

12/05/2013 at 15:12

DS did great and I think Sarah will be checking in with good news too. 

Falcons won easily but it wasn't a very exciting game. 

12/05/2013 at 15:26

Oh come on! The suspense is killing me!

12/05/2013 at 15:31

Pb for me too

12/05/2013 at 16:34

12/05/2013 at 17:24

Awesome Angela! Alcohol free beer all round

Well done. Hope you enjpoyed the day. Look forward to the report. 

Now where's that doc of ours?

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 17:24
12/05/2013 at 17:33

im about to go out for a real beer, but my pb was 4:18 something- I met DS2 and he said the toughness of thr course was worth at least 5 minutes on the flat, so I got my aim in a way. Full report later if I'm still awake and tomorrow if not - 

thanks all for awesome encouragement support and advice- really helped me through some of the tougher parts and the training clearly set me up well- my last mile was as fast as my first

12/05/2013 at 17:47

Brilliant Angela! So well done and sounds like there's loads more to come. Enjoy the beer. 

12/05/2013 at 22:42

Is Angela under a table somewhere in Essex?

12/05/2013 at 22:46

Thankyou Minni for the good luck, and for everyone elses good luck....it worked, again.

I managed to get a new HM PB of 1:31:12. Ive got to admit though that I didnt feel as comfortable as I did when I ran in Barcelona a couple of months ago, but I did sort of expect that after VLM, 2x5 milers and 1x10k race in the last three weeks. I did have a few negative thoughts before going in to the race, panicking about possibly having tired legs and having only run 10 miles for my longest run since VLM, however I am over the moon with my time and my legs dont feel too bad at the moment. 

Think im going to have a bit of a rest now. Im going to do this 10k on tue but not race it (unless I feel completley recovered on the day, which I doubt) and then thats it for two weeks where races are concerned.

Think I will do a few steady runs and walk up snowdon instead, trying to keep myself ticking over.

Sorry to hear about your calf Minni , I do hope that its on the mend and it heals soon. I love doing weights, I really do think it makes a difference both to my running and my body shape, feel far more toned for doing them, would certainly recommend it

12/05/2013 at 22:50

Thankyou Dotty...i was at a course in scarborough yesterday morning and then at a wedding yesterday evening before I headed down to shef. I was sensible and didnt drink, so no sore head today...tempted to have one now, but im on call tomorrow, so I will let Angela do all the celebrating

12/05/2013 at 22:59

Fabulous race report Mr P, you must be so proud of your achievements, I know I am. To be able to run that distance just three weeks after london is amazing, and to keep on going when you was in so much pain was inspirational. Im so happy that you completled it and in a fabulous time to...I really wished that I had read your race report yesterday so when my legs started to hurt at 10-11 miles I could have got inspiration from your words and have a go at myself for being such a wimp.

I hope that your still able to walk and your not in too much pain today.

I was tempted to say that I fancied the race at the beginning as it sounds like a beautiful run, however the description at the end has made me weary, not sure if I could handle an ultr.....just yet.

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 23:00
12/05/2013 at 23:04

A huge congratulations again Angela....you got a fantastic and well deserved new sparkly PB.....I hope your still celebrating with those beers. Cant wait to hear your race report.

12/05/2013 at 23:04

Hi Malcs what have you been up to running wise this weekend?

We now have a team of 8 for TR24. 

13/05/2013 at 07:18

Thanks Minni! Mr P, I was not under a table. I was rather tired so went to bed around 9:30...

race report with pictures here:

http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/halstead-and-essex-marathon.html

i will copy paste to the forum too

13/05/2013 at 07:19

I woke up on Sunday morning feeling fairly nervous for this; my last few days preparations hadn't quite been to plan, so I didn't feel like I'd had enough rest to get me through. I did however drink an awful lot of beeple (beetroot and apple) juice the day before and in the morning- the nitrates in beetroot are supposed to prevent fatigue.

Got ready with usual breakfast and shower and got into my team gb kit, then took the drive to Halstead. For some reason I decided my cuddly elephant hot lavender pillow wanted to come, so I put him in the back seat of the car and buckled him in. Then I remembered I'd need safety pins- ran back up to my flat and went riffling through my old race numbers and came across for the one for the first marathon I did, London- the pins were still attached, so I decided to use these.

We arrived at race hq, and easily found running number, timing chip etc- there were refreshments that could be bought cheaply- David was shuttling back and forth with water for me, whilst I stayed off my feet as much as possible. I also put my pre-labelled drinks bottles in the boxes for them to be taken onto the course - drinks of SiS go electrolyte with some chia seeds mixed in, each with an sis energy gel Sellotaped to them and labelled with my race number.

Decided to go outside with about 20 minutes to the start to limber up, which involved some dynamic stretching and basking in the very intermittent sun. There was a minutes silence for Boston, which was painfully destroyed by the spectator near me that sounded a cross between a pig and an Essex girl snorting away, and then there were a couple of minutes until the start.

Very soon we were off- the whole field was around 550 runners, so although I'd positioned my way about 2/3 of the way back, I was over the starting mats within a minute or so of the gun. At the start, the runners around me in a way forced me to take it easy, but I could already hear by their breathing that they weren't the runners for me. I wanted to find somebody to run with just to take away the potential loneliness on the course. Within the first mile I found a girl, who was wearing a black jacket (weird) who seemed to be going at my pace, so I latched onto her. We were running well together. But by the time we hit the third mile, we were running faster than a 9 minute mile. I let her drop me, and continued at my own pace.

Shortly after I found another girl who seemed to be taking it sensibly and going at my pace so I stayed with her. It didn't take long before I mistook a forward arrow for a 1 so I commented on that and thus the ice was broken. I found out that this was her first marathon, that she was doing it because a friend of hers had a list of things to do before 30, and they decided to do this one together, although the friend never entered the race so she was here all alone poor girl! I really enjoyed the company for the next few miles...

The first drinks station was brilliant, having pre-prepared, on approach the marshal said to call out your number if you wanted a drink. So I called '1 2 5', and the chain of marshalls yelled '1 2 5' '1 2 5' down to each other so by the time I reached the drinks station, I had my drink and gel in hand- pure class!

1,901 to 1,920 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.