RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Sarah Osbourne with Minni

1,961 to 1,980 of 2,270 messages
16/05/2013 at 18:23

Andy, isnt my doing Colchester half enough to make u commit ?

17/05/2013 at 10:06

Sarah - well done (again)! Great race reports. If that York uni student is running in October you can have your revenge

On the smaller vs larger field/crowd front I much prefer the smaller races. I like to drift off into a world of my own when I do my long runs (I am not a mentalist, I just like to daydream) and in London I couldn't do that because of the sheer noise. 

I agree with Angela, it's so nice to be able to run your own race without feeling impeded. For the Welsh marathon it was also great to be able to chat to people on the way round. You can of course do this in the larger races but I find it harder - not sure why. Maybe because of the noise, maybe because you're all bunched up and constantly looking out for gaps or bottles and uneven ground.

Got a couple of sanity runs in this week. Left arch is moaning - think it may have all tightened up a bit after resting. Need to get my rubber ball out.

Right, back to the grindstone...

17/05/2013 at 15:48

Hi Angela,

Well the Brentwood HM is the week before Colchester and I would normally do that, so I'm already looking to change my plans for you

I just prefer to sign up nearer the time so I can make sure as far as possible it's not going to clash with family stuff.     

17/05/2013 at 19:57

Andy, ok I understand your dilemma!! We better work on the others then!!

No run for me today, though i had plannwd to...alas.  Today we went to a thanksgiving in southwark cathedral.  My dad passed away just over a year ago and he donated his body to the London anatomy school.  There was a service ttoday for all who donated in the last year.  It was amazing! Over 300 people in the last year.  Very uplifting and makes me think I better get those forms filled in!!

19/05/2013 at 13:10

Where is everybody??

I did a parkrun pb yesterday-7th woman overall and first in my age category 24:19 so 18 seconds slower than my 5k pb, then we went for a 38 mile bike ride- it's amazing how long one can go for on a bike despite not much riding experience!!  Did a lovely ride mainly in Suffolk exploring the parts we know as constable country.Now plan to run 5 miles today easy.

19/05/2013 at 13:28

I have posted a couple of times but sit is weird on iPad at the moment   I ran Thursday and could feel some real deep pains so I didn't race on Friday or papark funniest sitting at the airport having a cup of tea before going to kefalonia 

19/05/2013 at 17:16

I've been finding iPad odd lately too, with super weird autocorrect.  Sorry about the pain in rue legs; hopefully your holiday will sort them out!  Have a great time!

20/05/2013 at 10:07

Hi all,

I did a 10k yesterday, my first competitive race since the VLM. As I mentioned before I wasn't really expecting to beat my PB (43:28) as it's been taking a while to recover from the VLM, and I also had a few glasses of wine on Saturday night which never helps. I also didn't help myself by going off way too fast at the start - I did the first 1k in 3:54 (albeit some of it was downhill), and the second in 4:17 despite a long uphill section. I then eased up a bit but by the time I got to 5-6k I was finding it hard - my legs were OK but my lungs were struggling. It didn't help that much of the race was off-road, which I always find harder than running on the road.

My time gradually slipped back and at one point it looked as though I might not get under 45min, which was my absolute minimum goal, but I started to feel a bit better around the 8k mark and once I was back on the road I managed to pick the pace up again and was actually running quite strongly over the last 1k. I finished in 44:07 which was respectable enough in the circumstances and I was in 27th place out of 263 overall. So in principle I think I should be happy enough with that, but I may have done better if I'd been more sensible at the start.    

20/05/2013 at 10:56

Andy isn't this    the dilemma though...we just never know! 

Ive a 10k in June and I'd like to get 45 again, very possible if the wind is in the right direction On that particular course.

20/05/2013 at 13:29

Nice Andy, that's a great result!  Yesterday was a really popular day for 10ks- which did u do?

ive got the Bupa 10000 next Monday.  I thought my legs were doing really well after my marathon, but after Parkrun and 38 mile bike ride on Saturday, my recovery run on Sunday was like running thru treacle.  I started to feel sick overnight so I think that might be part of it too.  My hr was very high for such a slow pace...

20/05/2013 at 15:39
Great results from those racing this weekend. I hope you aren't being too hard on yourself, Andy. That's still a good time on a hilly course and so soon after VLM. I still don't think I've got any speed in my legs. I hoping Sarah will post some tips on speed training!

I've mainly being feeling guilty about the lack of running I've been doing considering I'm running Edinburgh marathon on Sunday. My hip has still being niggling me even after the torture I endured from a sports massage last week. I am trying to convince myself that it is just an extra long taper and all will fall into place on Sunday. I've also been checking the weather forecast daily, hoping that it won't be raining and windy on Sunday.

Mr P. did you pack your trainers? Have a great holiday.
20/05/2013 at 21:01

Hi all, sorry I havent been on here all weekend. Went to wales for the weekend and didnt really have much of a signal/internet connection out there.

Had a fantastic weekend, im so impressed with wales. It has such gorgeous scenery and the weather was perfect.

I managed a 14.5 mile LSR on friday before we left, then walked up snowdon on saturday. Yesterday I just ran 5.5 miles on the beach (which I think is my most favourite training run this year...or maybe even since I started running 2.5 years ago).

Snowdon was amazing, although there was far more climbing than I thought there would be, and the low clouds meant we didnt really see much after half way.

Drove back today and had a rest day from running/walking!

20/05/2013 at 21:11

Angela congratulations on your park run and on being 1st in your category . I use to attend those services every year when I was at med school to say thankyou to those people that donated their body to the university. Its a nice way to show our respect.

Thats reassuring that biking outdoors is easier than on the stationary bike, although I do tend to just leave my bike in one gear when im cycling outside.

Andy congrats on your race yesterday, it sounds like it was tough race with the hills but you still finished strong. I always find it difficult with 10ks as its a fine line between going off too fast and running at your full potential without dying at the end.

Hi Malcs glad that you managed to escape and get some runs in over the weekend. I have to say im quite looking forward to running York marathon which will be much quieter than London.

Hope you have a fantastic and well deserved holiday Mr P.

Dotty how is the weather looking on sunday? Hope your hip settles down in time for Sunday. I love speed training, I get such a buzz from doing it. I would say make your sessions varied so you dont get bored eg one week do km repeats, then another week mile repeats.  

21/05/2013 at 09:49

Yes I grout my trainers but it is Scorchio

there is a little gym but no treadmill. Tbf it is not hi summe yet so possible to run early morning and evening.

22/05/2013 at 08:52

Morning all,

Angela - my 10k was at Henham, near Stansted. Next up is the Southend HM on 9th June. Good luck with the BUPA 10k on Monday, I hope you're feeling better by then.

Dotty - Good luck in Edinburgh on Sunday, I hope your injury niggle doesn't affect you too much. I didn't realise it was this weekend -  we're actually going to be in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday and in Edinburgh from Monday to Thursday, it would have been good to get there a day earlier to watch the marathon.

Sarah - Yes, finding that balance is the key thing, and I think I'd rather err on the side of pushing myself too hard than end up feeling I hadn't tried as hard as I possibly could. I've got some good PBs from going off faster than planned but managing to keep up the pace. Anyway, I can only run my next race, I can't re-run the last one. 

22/05/2013 at 09:35

Mr P, I think you're deserving of a rest if you don't feel like running in the scorchio heat!

Dotty, is your hip feeling any better?  Were you planning to race Edinburgh properly, or just use it as a LSR?

Sarah, I'm glad you used to attend those services.  It was done with such dignity and respect, and not only made us proud of the gift dad had given, but also they acknowledged how hard is is for the family left behind to not have a grave site or a place where the ashes are scattered in that most difficult year after the loss.

Sounds like some awesome walks you've been doing in those peaks- very jealous!

Andy - this is where being a member of a club must help you find out about the races.  I tend to only know about those that are advertised really well-  emails to my inbox, or from a RW search.  I got an email about the Para's 10 in Colchester- a 10 miler on some military land in July I think, but I also think its really expensive for a 10 mile race.  I'll be in the Lake District on the 9th doing the Karrimor Great Trail Challenge!!  I don't know why I signed up for this, I suspect it will be rather more hillier than Epping Forest eeek :-S

22/05/2013 at 16:51

Hi Angela,

Yes, I hear about most of the races through the club - in the summer we have a "Grand Prix" competition where club members compete against each other in certain nominated races, so I try to make sure I do most of those races and then look out for others which look particularly attractive.

The Great Trail Challenge looks like god fun, albeit certainly harder than Epping Forest. Are you doing the 11k or 22k?   

22/05/2013 at 17:05

I just did a little run down to the beach and watched the fishermen tidying their nets for a while befor jogging back. Might need an alcohol free day I think. 

22/05/2013 at 17:57

AndyA, the Grand Prix sounds like great fun hmm I shall have to figure out a way to join a club I can actually train with- will have to chat to my boss about work schedule... I reckon a club would massively improve my running too- the in the parkrun the other day there was only 1 girl ahead of me who wasn't a club runner and I think that all behind me were not.  Even the girl who just pipped me to the finish is a club runner- I checked her out on run britain rankings and it looks like she hasn't done much beyond 5mile as a max race distance and not many races so I assume a beginner, but surely that race tactic of timing the sprint has been taught!

mr p- go on, have a beer for me, and some calamari!! I love calamari!

22/05/2013 at 22:39

Mr P, im so jealous, ive had a horrendous day today (12.5 hour shift...jam packed full with patients), I would do anything to have the day youve had and to run along that beach.

Andy thats very well said, I like it. I always beat myself up if I have a rubbish race, I will have to remember your wise words. We have a Grand Prix aswell, although im at a slight disadvantage with most of the races being in south yorkshire and me living in North Yorkshire at least 60 miles away. My club had one of their races tonight but I couldnt make it due to not finishing work until 9pm.

Angela Im glad that you enjoyed the service.

I would recommend joining a club...there are many cheap races out there orgnaised by other clubs so your not left with such a hole in your pocket after you have entered a few races. The competition also gets you faster and you will hear about local physios and things that are highely recommended.

1,961 to 1,980 of 2,270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.