RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

241 to 260 of 1,201 messages
16/01/2013 at 20:40

I ventured out in the arctic conditions (-5) and did 6 miles @ 10.02. It was that cold the sweat on my head was starting to ice over! Some fast tempo runs going on in here.

16/01/2013 at 20:46

Wow James, you are the amongst the brave, hardy few who have taken on the outdoors! How was it underfoot?

16/01/2013 at 20:48

Impressive PB Freemers!!

16/01/2013 at 21:13

Not too bad at all actually, but I put on some trail shoes to be careful. Also had tights, long sleeve tee, jumper, coat, snood and gloves on! If my sweat wasnt freezing over it would have been quite a nice run with everything looking white on the trees. I like the feeling when you start to consider 5-6 mile runs as "short".

16/01/2013 at 21:15
Wow, must be warmer in london than everywhere else. Still around zero at lunch though and did my warm up to the track in regents park (1.2m from work in Camden - handy!) followed by intervals, 1k x 5 @ 7'04 pace with 400m rest intervals. Pretty knackering!
16/01/2013 at 21:20
Well done James and Will.

Rachel - it's still early days but how do you feel your training is going so far ?
16/01/2013 at 21:21

brrrrrr...shivering just thinking about it! It'll be the tready for me again tomorrow, which will be after work and after I've attended no. 2 son's parents' eve. I may need to dig deep to find some motivation!

16/01/2013 at 21:27
Thanks carter. You been out today? Got tempo run Friday and first 20 miler Sunday!
16/01/2013 at 21:28

Carter, I feel it's going well, or was till the ice hit! I'm definitely not as motivated when I can't run outside! I'm much further ahead with this schedule as last time I built my long run up slowly from 6 miles. Saturday is down for 15. So it could be a looooong tready session, or a cold outside run, should the forecast snow be soft and fresh (ha ha..as if!!) How about you?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/01/2013 at 22:02
It certainly sounds like it's going well Rachel. The ice won't last forever, you'll be back out there soon. Long runs are hard when it's cold because you're running more slowly so you're not generating as much heat, plus you're out there for longer. If you've got the right gear on running in fresh snow is just the best.
16/01/2013 at 22:47

Some good sessions going on here!

Just in from my hill session  - 4 mile easy run with 8 x 100 up a steep hill/jog down recovery in the middle..... 9 m/ml pace avg for the whole run. HR monitor on the blink on my garmin 305... try a new battery in the chest strap methinks.

No snow or ice - just dark, cold, wet & miserable!

I'll not adjust my plans or LSR at the weekend - just take whatever weather comes, go out and run and deal with it!

16/01/2013 at 22:54
I'm near York and I've been out with my club tonight - no snow or ice. Did a pyramid session, plus run to and from, total of 4 miles. I don't actually remember feeling cold
17/01/2013 at 00:04
A lot going on here now. As Dave says the cold weather cannot last forever but it is a pain in the you know where.

London is doing ok at the moment but forecast is for heavy snow Friday with freezing conditions over the weekend so LSR's could be challenging.

Got out tonight and did 8.5 miles but it was very dark (parent teachers evening ran late by an hour) and very cold around Regents Park and Hampstead Heath. Am still warming up !!!!

Keep up the good work Rachel as it will all be worthwhile in the end.
17/01/2013 at 07:30

Thanks Carl! Your late evening running is impressive!

Nykie and Ricky- lucky you with no ice!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
17/01/2013 at 09:27

How late did you finish that Carl?  I have trouble sleeping if I train too late in the evening, others just crash out afterwards.  How do you find it?

17/01/2013 at 11:10
Came back in the front door at 10.45. That is about an hour later than most of my evening runs.

I did not have any problems sleeping last night and woke to the alarm whereas normally I wake before it goes off.

I did not eat very much after I came back in and went for a bigger breakfast this morning so that might have helped.

Have seen others say the same but they can get up at silly o'clock and run 10 miles whereas I struggle to do this.

Must have something to do with how we are individually wired.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
17/01/2013 at 11:15

This would be your ideal race then Carl:

http://www.bridgetriathlon.co.uk/midnightman/

17/01/2013 at 14:18

Just had a look.

Could not imagine anything worse  Pure torture but am sure there are people out there who enjoy this kind of thing !!

17/01/2013 at 14:53

Great running people!! I'm literally using every bit of motavtion to get myself out right now! Can't wait to hear how your 15 miler goes on saturday rachel! I'm still on 8 miles for my long run on sunday! Its not meant to snow anymore at the weekend, so maybe its getting warmer!

17/01/2013 at 16:45

Go Jess go!!! (well...how did it go?) I am at home for a quick cup of coffee before parents' eve, then will drag myself on the treadmill......

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.