RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

301 to 320 of 1,201 messages
19/01/2013 at 20:51
Carl - Yea come to think of it I did read something on the HH site about LSRs being 30secs - 90secs slower than MP so I guess 9.30 is about right. I run my LSRs at 9.30 too and it is nice and comfortable - but I always think I should be going slower!

20 miles is brill - how did u find it? Did u feel the legs tire badly? Any stiffness or soreness in the few hours after?
19/01/2013 at 22:37
Ricky - I really struggle running much slower but genuinely do find anything around 9:30 comfortable.

Today the snow and slush made it tougher on the legs and they felt heavy for a short while after coming in. Feel good now and overall I feel much better than I did after 18 last week.

Recovery day tomorrow and next week I will have a recovery week after 3-4 weeks of increasing the mileage.
19/01/2013 at 23:41

All good then Carl - sounds like things are going well for you

I remember doing my 20 milers too fast at MP before and can vividly remember struggling to untie my shoelaces & climb the stairs straight after the run! So if your legs feel just a little heavy with quick recovery that sounds v positive!

This has been my first recovery week so only a 10/11 miler tomorrow - next sunday a 16 miler followed by a 17 the sunday after.

20/01/2013 at 11:23

11 miler done - first 8 @ 9.30 pace , last 3 @ 8.30 pace to liven things up a bit

Avg pace for the run 9.10

Thats my 3rd week done

20/01/2013 at 11:38
Snow is back here again this morning. Been at it for hours and looks like it will keep going most of the day.

Went to the gym for my recovery run. 4 miles at just under 10:00 min/ mile on a 1.5% incline.

So boring. Gym is a small one up in the village and all 7 dreadmills were going just after 10am.

I kept wanting to press the buttons.

Also did a few lengths of the swimming pool.

Looks like tomorrow could be fun as road conditions will deteriorate. Kids might be having a longer weekend than planned !

Another week of running done and a week closer to marathon day.
20/01/2013 at 11:40
RW - another good session for you today. Well done.
20/01/2013 at 18:04

A busy afternoon (and evening) means I won't get the 3 mile recovery run in today. I'm guessing that won't cause too much trouble?

20/01/2013 at 19:46

Sounds like some fantastic running going on! I did 10 miles on the treadmill in 1.41, very dull but brilliant for techniques on concentration etc. It felt really comfortable, just waiting for the long run to go up in the next few weeks and see how it goes!

20/01/2013 at 21:14
Carl and dave, thanks for your thoughts on pacing.

Well done on the 20 milers everyone, very good in these conditions... I set out to run 20 this afternoon and ran in snow/sludge most of the way - I only managed 12.5 before cramping up. Got 14 done in the end but concerning given I was going 15 secs slower than last wk (9'35 pace this wk).

All I can think is that I must have been slightly dehydrated (didn't drink enough Saturday) AND the difficulty of running in snow took more out of me than I thought it would. Really pleasant horizontal sleet most of the way as well - nice!
20/01/2013 at 21:26
Will - I had the same issue with running in the snow yesterday. My legs became very heavy and I had to reduce my long run. I felt better today and have just done 11 miles quite comfortably. I can't remember what marathon you are training for and what your target time is ?
20/01/2013 at 21:31
Hi carter, vlm and anything under 4 hours but am on a 3'45 plan... Aiming for mp to be 8'40-8'50... Did a 17 miler no probs at 9'20 pace last Sunday! What are you training for?

Cheers, will
20/01/2013 at 21:36
Will - I'm in for Manchester. My target is to beat 4:00 hours but Spoons has got me in for 3:45 at the moment. I guess we review the target nearer the time when we see how the training is going
20/01/2013 at 22:18
Carter - sounds right. Reading half is 17 march so will see how training is going and what time I get there to make a decision on a pace. Let's hope it's not snowing in april eh!
20/01/2013 at 22:25
I've got liversedge half in march and I'm going for a PB. I will be trying to best 1:47:46 and ideally would like to beat 1:45 as its an undulating course. If I can get anywhere near that I think I will be aiming for 3:45 in Manchester, although Spoons might have different thoughts on that ! What are your current PBs Will ?
20/01/2013 at 22:33
1'54 for the half last year. Will be aiming for 1'47/48.... Hopefully do-able as have been generally running a lot more and put a lot of tempo runs in around 8 min miles from sept-dec
Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/01/2013 at 09:13

Rachel, I don't think missing a 3 mile recovery run is going to wreck your marathon plans.

Will, you may be right about dehydration, I have the same problem if I haven't drunk enough before a run.

21/01/2013 at 20:10
Dave, reckon it must have been a factor. I didn't drink more than 1 litre on fri or sat, and felt a bit thirsty....
21/01/2013 at 22:11

Rachel - what is the weather doing for you. Will you be able to get out this week ?

it looks and feels as if it is going to freeze here tonight and with plenty of compacted snow and slush about it could make running tomorrow a tad tricky. Only glimmer of hope is that I am not planning to go until the evening. The downside will be that it will be harder to see the ice. I am hoping to get a tempo session in at the same speed  and duration as last week as this is a recovery week for me.

21/01/2013 at 22:12

Hi Carl, I'm planning an evening treadmill run, better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned! I think the weather is going to warm up in the not too distant future, so I can probably survive the treadmill for another couple of days!! Take care if you brave the outdoors!!

22/01/2013 at 13:31

I did 12 miles last night, slower than my 10 miles last week but it was half on the road, half on the path which was covered in snow and sometimes ice. I feel as though I've done about 15 miles and it was so much harder than my 10 last week (practically the same route).

Am I to assume that this is to be expected?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.