RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

321 to 340 of 1,200 messages
22/01/2013 at 18:19

Another 4 treadmill miles plodded out. Not fast- 35 mins. I need to run outside again. Snow, snow go away!!

22/01/2013 at 19:24
7 miles in the snow/ice/slush for me tonight. Hang in there Rachel, it will soon be gone
22/01/2013 at 19:36
I expected last night's 12 miler to be easier than my 10, simply because I'd done a 5 mile trail race the day before my 10, with a PB 5k the day before that. Damn
22/01/2013 at 21:26

Nykie - if you are like me there are days the legs feel full of bounce when they shouldn't and other days when you expect to go out and blitz a regular route in PB time & theres just no running in the legs! I can make no sense of it tbh

Heavy snow yesterday but thawed a bit today so got my 5 mile tempo done this evening - 7.46 pace.... starting to freeze so slippery in places but got away with it!

22/01/2013 at 21:33
Good work Ricky. I'm due some intervals before work tomorrow... Hopefully ice won't matter as heading to the track..
22/01/2013 at 22:43
Well done Ricky.

Will - my track is closed and finding enough decent road for a tempo run tonight was difficult so I ended up doing a bit of everything in my 7 miles. Lets hope you have better luck.

Be careful out there everyone
22/01/2013 at 22:54

Guys (& Rachel)... the good news is that it will be a balmy 7deg C come the weekend

22/01/2013 at 23:06

Another 4.5 miles on the treadmill tonight. 4 x 800m at 8 min miles with 200m recoveries and 1 mile WU/ 1 mile CD.

Well done Nykie, sounds like you are ramping up the miles.

22/01/2013 at 23:33
Has nobody told the or she who controls the weather that we are all in serious training to run a distance our bodies are not designed for, at a time of year when sensible creatures hibernate and most people would not venture out the door if it was not for work / school and that we MUST go out in hours of darkness and that snow and ice and wintry conditions interfere with our finely tuned training plans ????
22/01/2013 at 23:59
James 1986, ahem!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/01/2013 at 15:39

I tried some intervals today and it was all a bit tricky - I couldn't really give it full gas.  Still, all miles under the belt.  Yesterday ended up being an evening 10k of laps round a field, in a blizzard.  Not sure if that was better than a treadmill...

23/01/2013 at 17:35

No run for me today as played staff dodgeball after school- lots of fun and very competitive, and that was only a practice for the real deal on Friday (losing is not an option!) I am hoping to get out and run in the fresh air tomorrow morning! I have decided to have a cut back week this week, and may need to do some rejigging with the plan. It's just one of those weeks when "life" has interrupted the plan (Saturday is such that I won't be able to fit in 18 miles...) Rather than get fed up, I have decided to embrace the cut back in order to have a stronger week next week!

23/01/2013 at 19:11
Rachel - that sounds sensible in the circumstances. We cannot be slaves to a plan as sometimes other things need priority.

I am on my recovery week this week and only planning 6 miles tonight.

Has turned much colder here today and it is raining so it is going to be unpleasant. Local footpaths are still covered with snow / slush.
23/01/2013 at 20:49

Carl, it's safe to say we are all fed up with this weather and the impact it is having! Checking the weather forecast means I probably will have to do a treadmill run after all tomorrow bring on next week!

23/01/2013 at 21:41
I thought you northern lasses were meant to be tough ???
23/01/2013 at 22:01

A recovery week will probably be just what the Doc ordered Rachel and you'll be back stronger & faster next week.

Good going James & respect for the field running in a blizzard Dave - sounds more like a punishment!

You seem to be getting plenty of mileage in Carter - well done.

The weather is really playing havoc with everyones training  - I managed my hill session tonight and actually managed an extra couple of reps, Did a 4.4 mile run with 10 x 100 hill reps in the middle with jog down recovery. The hill was quite treacherous with ice though and was losing traction quite a bit.

Bring on the milder weather & rain forecast for friday... never thought I'd be wishing for rain!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
24/01/2013 at 08:50

Life (and the weather) does get in the way sometimes, so training does need to be flexible.  Some people seem to panic when that happens and you get posts on these forums along the lines of "I've missed 3 days training, can I possibly complete my marathon in two months time?".  You don't want to lose focus though, so putting this week down as a lighter one and getting back properly next week is a good idea.

24/01/2013 at 08:50
FC says weather turning milder into next wk thank god. Went to the track today for intervals but was too icy! Ran on the road round the outer circle of regents park (plenty of traffic!) instead and managed 3m (400m walk interval after each mile) @ 7'27 mile pace... Bring on the warm air...
24/01/2013 at 08:51
I meant yday not today!
24/01/2013 at 13:14

Nice pace Will

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.