RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

401 to 420 of 1,201 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
02/02/2013 at 10:18
Did my long run yesterday, 20 miles, dry, no wind, what's not to like?

You might need a recovery week after Bramley Simon! You'll have a good idea of the shape you're in, that's for sure.

Oh, ,and good luck Will!
02/02/2013 at 10:23

Sounds like a nice run Dave!

I've just done what felt like a very leisurely 10 miles, only to find my pace was still 9.19 min mile. Could easily have kept going longer.

Just to clarify for those who suspect I am slacking, I have a health issue at the moment (nothing life threatening!!!), which means I am not overdoing it for a couple of weeks. I have an appointment on 11th, when hopefully I'll get the thumbs up to get back on track. My main aim till then is not to lose any fitness!! It's very frustrating reading all the miles you guys are getting in knowing I can't push it too much, but hopefully this is just a minor setback. Life happens after all...

02/02/2013 at 13:04

I feel your pain Rachel - I still have manflu which could be life threatening

I am on the mend but still coughin a bit so jury is still out on LSR tomorrow - head says NO, heart says YES! I haven't run since Wednesday & am getting a bit jumpy 

Good luck with the big 20 Will!

02/02/2013 at 13:16

Ricky, better safe than sorry! I ran a 10k about 8 years ago when I was feeling viral- it affected me for ages (and I mean years!) afterwards. It's just not worth it! You will make up the lost time when you are well. In fact, the good news is, you're unlikely to get manflu around the marathon, since you've had it now! Now that WOULD be gutting!

02/02/2013 at 14:21

Will - good tempo run and best of luck with the 20 miler. They are not that bad. Really. Honest ...

Ricky - my advice (but you can of course choose to ignore it) is to give the LSR a skip this week and make sure that the dreaded manflu is gone. Nothing worse than going back out a little too soon and coming back down with another dose of the manflu which will be worse than the first one.

02/02/2013 at 14:25

Hi all- I am mainly lurking here- I am really trainig for a double marathon in april, but have a marathon as a "warm up" on 9th march. I am just back from ski-ing, and haven''t run over 15 miles yet, due to losing 3 weeekends- worth of lsr's. I have managed a sub-4 before on less training than most of you are doing, so I reckon everyone is well on track- I've done 8 marathons now, and everyone of them has had some interruption in training- it is all part of the game- I suspect most training plans have a buffer built in to alow for an occiaional missed run.

Hope everyone's lurgy/ weather troubles are behind them now-keep it up!

02/02/2013 at 14:26

Dave - a run with no wind, no ice or snow. Must have been so dull.

Rachel - as you say life happens and better to be safe than sorry. You have been building up nicely so keeping it steady until you get the allc lear is a good strategy. I am sure that Dave will then be able to tweak your schedule to get you sorted for Manchester.

I did a 20 mile LSR this morning with the last 5 miles at MP (actually a little faster than MP). It was cold and windy in places and the sun was also out for a while. Most annoying having a bright light shining at you. Not used to it after all my night running sessions.

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 14:26
02/02/2013 at 14:53

Well done Rachel, a good effort to keep ticking over if youre not 100% 

Will - hope the big run goes well !

Ricky - stay patient, you will soon be out there !

Carl - that big thing in the sky must have been most offputting !

I've done 16.6 miles  today but dies a thousand deaths out there. Disappointing after such a good week but there you go.

02/02/2013 at 18:01
Great 20 miler in the bag there Carl! Well done.

I am now at peace with myself after deciding to miss my LSR tomorrow. I know you are right - good advice. Kind of feel at a loose end now! I'm sure Mrs Ricky W will find a few jobs to keep me out of mischief tomorrow
Edited: 02/02/2013 at 18:03
02/02/2013 at 20:43

Carter - the sun was actually really annoying today. It did not make it any warmer but found it hard to focus on the road ahead. This meant that I spent alot of time looking down at the ground immediately in front of me rather than focusing on a point in the distance.

Might have to think about a pair of sunglasses for the marathon as I am bound to have to contend with a bright sunny day.

02/02/2013 at 20:45

Ricky - good decision on the LSR. A couple of days out of the overall schedule is not the end of the world. You will catch up. Important thing when you do get back out is not to push it too hard and try and go faster than you should. Will be counter productive.

Certainly was good to get a solid LSR with some MP miles under the belt. Doesn't half take it out of you though.

03/02/2013 at 13:10
Dave - good work on the 20 miler.

Rachel - hope you get the all clear. You'll have missed all he cold weather. Co-incidence?!

Ricky - never mind, as everyone has said rest is best but sure is hard to make the sensible decision, sure it will pay off though.

Carl - great work to push some mp into your 20 mle run. Bet that hurt, I found the last 4 of my 20 v hard work just at a normal lsr pace!

Carter - sometimes it happens inexplicably doesn't it? Probably just tiredness or summat...

So I just did 20 miles at 9'22 pace. All good until 16 and then I could really feel the Tarmac! Struggled a bit at he end but very happy to have it in the bag... Also brilliantly was the first long run of the last few wks that I haven't cramped. Made sure I drank enough yday and then changed to nuun tablet before and during run and that seems to have resolved any cramping issues - hurrah!
03/02/2013 at 14:22
16 miles today felt OK even though no breakfast or water on the run, 9 08 av pace working away all this coming week so its hotel treadmills for a full week for me
03/02/2013 at 19:26
Good work Will - psychologically great to get a 20 miler done and good to hear u have the camping sorted.

Impressive 16miler Dd with no water or fuel! On the subject of treadmills - I jus purchased one today for when the weather isn't playing ball and Mrs Ricky W mite dabble a bit with it too. This down time from running over the last few days has proved expensive!!
03/02/2013 at 21:37

Great run Will. Good to see that you might have solved the cramping issue. Good to get the first 20 miler under the belt.

Funny talking about the first 20 miler. I have never run more than one in training for a marathon before.

And you are right. Those last 5 miles were tough and I was really feeling it on the last one. In fact I think I was feeling it for the rest of the day.

03/02/2013 at 22:59
Thanks guys and Carl, I know, I have another 3 x 20 mile runs in the schedule!!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/02/2013 at 08:59

Nice long runs going on.  They do get easier Carl, that's why you do them!  Well done sorting the cramp out Will. 

Ricky, probably good to drop the long run yesterday: after my long run Friday and a slow but first across the line parkrun Saturday, yesterday was going to be a swim first thing and a few hours cycling.  I've obviously caught something as after a promising start the ride deteriorated after halfway and an hour after I got back I was laid up in bed.  Probably a good day for a rest day today.

04/02/2013 at 17:49

Can't believe we have heavy snow forecast for tonight!!! I'm gkad I didn't put the treadmill away!

04/02/2013 at 18:25
Do we ?
04/02/2013 at 18:55
We have wind forecast and that was a right pain during my tempo run last week as whichever way I ran it seemed to be against me! Do you think a tempo run is as beneficial if done on a treadmill or is it better to battle the elements?!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.