RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

661 to 680 of 1,200 messages
04/03/2013 at 08:10

Well done Rachel, good to see you back out there

Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/03/2013 at 08:52

Will, you'll definitely get more out of the 22 than the 20, those extra two miles are into the part of the race where lots of people really start to suffer (traditionally 'the wall' is at around 20, but it varies a lot in practice) and putting one or two of your long runs into that zone is going to be a real benefit.  The fact you're running it slightly slower is neither here nor there: you're talking about less than 2 minutes over 20 miles which is nothing really.

Ricky, the 20 milers to really keep slow are the first ones where you're building up the miles, and the last one before your race when the hard work is done.  This one in the middle would be fine for some MP in the middle: maybe a couple of sets of several miles like Carl's run the other day.  Not too much though, you want to finish that 21st mile feeling that another 5 would be OK.

04/03/2013 at 20:59
Cheers Dave - that makes sense.

Got home at 5pm and got a 3 ml recovery run in the sunshine - even got the lawns their first cut of the year when I got back - all before dark! Spring's here folks!

9.27 pace with nice low avg HR of 135 ... Well under LSR HR (usually 143) so quite encouraging.
04/03/2013 at 21:13
Thanks dave, will try for 22 miles this Friday around 9'10 pace.

I also got the pace of my last long runs wrong before the mara, they're actually

13m at 8'35
10m at 8'35

So basically at target marathon pace...

Got out today for intervals and struggled to hit the pace.. Must be tired from big week last week. That and number 2 (8 months old) not really sleeping last night!

Hurray for spring although still pretty parky in the wind at 8pm tonight...
05/03/2013 at 07:28

Will, I remember those happy days with small children! That broken sleep feeling is not fun (though they're worth it of course!)

4 miles for me at 8:37 min mile this morning.

Legs defintely tired from weekend. I am not going to build any mid week miles back up till it feels a bit easier, though if I get the all clear from the consultant, I guess I may have to push through the pain!! 

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 16:01
05/03/2013 at 19:06

It's very quiet on here today? What's veryone up to?

05/03/2013 at 20:50
Football night !

Quick three mile sprint tonight before kick off
05/03/2013 at 21:20

Ah!!! of course.......enjoy!!

05/03/2013 at 21:38

Nani's sending off ruined the game

Just my team left in it then!... although not for long after that 1st leg defeat at home by Bayern.

Rachel - a brisk enough 4 miles.. sounds like you are enjoying things again

Interval session on the treadmill for me before the game. Tough session but went to plan unlike my first attempt at intervals this time last week. It looked like this:

8 x 0.5ml @ 7.04 pace with 0.2ml recoveries @ 10 m/ml pace. Warm up of 0.25 ml at start with 0.5ml cool down at end.  Just over 6 miles in total in around 50 mins.

Tough but felt it was a good session.

05/03/2013 at 22:58
20.4 miles for me today.

And forest won while I watched Man U get knocked out. Winner !
06/03/2013 at 02:58
Travelled to the States yesterday. Did not sleep too well last night so got up and hit the gym at 6am.

Tempo run on the treddie. Set it at 1.5 incline and figured I would do 4 miles at pace.

Boring or what. After a 1 mile wu at 9:40 I did 3.5 miles at 7:40;pace, 1 mile at MP of 8:40 and another 0.5 mile cd.

Was overheating after 3 miles which is why I altered my plan.

Was tougher than I thought it would be as the pace is so constant and I normally do not get that hot running outside. Also looking at a chair is not really inspiring.

But another session closer to marathon day.

Going to try the gym early again tomorrow as have a big and challenging meeting followed by dinner planned.

Good running Rachel and everyone else. Will try and check on again tomorrow evening.
06/03/2013 at 07:51

Great intervals Ricky and good on you for doing them on the dreadmil!

Carter, I take my hat off to your 20...I take it there are details over on your thread? Will amble over there and see...trust it went well?

Carl, I am mighty impressed at you getting running done whilst you are away. The overheating thing on the treadmill REALLY puts me off, it's just not the same as outside is it! Hope the next session is bearable!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
06/03/2013 at 08:04

The best weather of the year and everyone's on treadmills!  Those intervals sound better Ricky.  10 half miles is a good set, the slower recoveries will have made a big difference.

Hotel gyms in the states are often packed at that time Carl, but you may have been a bit late for the morning rush!  Think of the heat as good acclimatisation for Paris.  When the only option is an early morning treddie, I find it hard to get going at first, so I end up doing a progressive run - start fairly easy because I've just woken up, then after a mile or so just tap the speed button every quarter or half a mile.  Often ends up above 10k pace for the last mile or so - as you say, you get warmed up on those things!

06/03/2013 at 08:04

Rachel - it was hard going on the old legs yesterday but not feeling too bad today. Here are some details for you - http://app.strava.com/activities/43245032

Cheerful Dave    pirate
06/03/2013 at 08:20

Ah, the joys of strava!  Nice run carter, there's a few hills in that one.  You'll miss those in Manchester!

06/03/2013 at 11:55
Dave = will try that tomorrow morning. Sounds like fun and a good way to relieve the monotony.

4 inches of snow on the ground this morning and it is still coming down. It is 6.50/am and the snow ploughs ate out everywhere including the hotel carpark. Different world here.

This morning I did /1 mile wu, 3 miles at MP of 8:13 pace followed by 1 mile of HMP at 8:00 pace and then a mile CD all at an incline of 1.

Followed this up by 10 mins on the cross trainer with a resistance level 12 where my heart rate was 152.

A good session to wake me up for the day.

Ricky good intervals yesterday.
06/03/2013 at 20:47
Rachel, yes it's knackering as I'm sure you know! Sounds like your running is going well.

Nice intervals Ricky.

20m + carter, excellent work!

Carl, I've never run on a treadmill and you're not selling it to me ;o)

Was still tired today from last wk so eased off on today's tempo. 2 easy miles and 5 miles at 8'14. Very aware of my upcoming 22 mile effort on Friday!
06/03/2013 at 21:06

Carl - I HATE treadmills. Got an away week next week spent in a hotel, and will be very tricky to get out, so the dreadmill will be used.

Was meant to be doing 20miles during the week (with a 20 at the weekend), but this is probably not likely to happen....figure I'll hit the gym otherwise though and get lots of cross training in. Very busy away week though and unlikely to get much time to myself so will try run as much as possible. However, this week has been a very busy week with work and so been a cut back week (this was planned after 2 hard weeks) - also been ill so very much a cut back week.  Is two easier weeks going to impact me terribly? I'm hoping it'll help shift this cold (which was probably to blame for the bad LSR on Sunday as the next day I felt very ill!), and might give my legs a rest, but I'm worried it'll step me back quite a bit. It'll only be the weekdays that would be affected, so would still do the planned LSR at the weekend, but don't know how else to limit any effect from a bit of time off...

06/03/2013 at 22:07

RWTW - get yourself better & take a few days off. I found out recently that runners have a rule when running with colds etc... If its above the neck (eg headcold) its ok to run, if its below the neck (chest cold) don't run!

Steady Dave it was just 8 x 0.5ml reps.... I felt like I could have pushed another 2 out and made it 10 but didn't!

Useful session Will - you are right to preserve yourself and make sure you get a quality 22 miler in... most important run of the week & all that! I have a 21 on sunday... and solo this time too *gulp*

Carl - good running on the hamster wheel! You'll be glad to see the back of treadmills by the end of the week!

So tonights session - I always go into these mid week MLRs not really sure what to do and kind of make it up as I go along. This evening I had a mile w/up and then decided to run somewhere between MP & HMP... it got quite tough to keep pace in the middle miles 5-7 as it was a hilly part of the route and at that point was straight into a strong headwind with driving rain... felt good in the closing stages so upped the pace to what felt like HMP over the last 2 miles.
8.58; 8.21; 8.10; 8.26; 8.41; 8.31; 8.28; 7.56; 7.46
Avg pace 8.22 and avg HR of 150bpm - this HR stuff is fascinating - keeps getting lower for similar given paces!

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 22:09
06/03/2013 at 22:55
Great pace for what effectively looks like a 9 mile tempo run to me Ricky. With a couple of good fast splits thrown in for good measure at the end... Nice one

Good luck with the 21 miler...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.