RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

821 to 840 of 1,200 messages
26/03/2013 at 11:19

Hope the Dr gives you some positive news Carl!

26/03/2013 at 14:19
Great pace Ricky.

Not pleasant dave. The 'green' feeling! I once ate a full English about 40 mins before mountain biking up cadair idris. A tough lesson well learnt that was!

Keep positive Carl, these things can turn round so quickly and hopefully it will.
26/03/2013 at 20:56

So yesterday I was slowly dying (see post on other thread). Today I am a little more optimistic.

Saw my own doctor whom I trust. She has confirmed that my chest is clear and that this is more likely a virus than an infection. That is good news I guess in terms of how quickly I can recover whenever it dissapears. A few of my recent few days symptoms concerned her so this along with thefact that I am considering a marathon has prompted another dose of different antibiotics.

She is not telling me not to run bust advising me to be sensible. Do runner in taper madness and sensible ever go together ?

In talking this throughg, we probably got to a conclusion that if I have not kicked this by this weekend then it is probably advisable not to do it as even if I start I will probably not finish as my legs may no longer be fatigued from running but my body will be drained from fighting the virus.

Lets be clear. I want to do it if I can.

So you lot are all telling me to hand in there and I'll be fine.

Doctor is advising me to be sensible.

My OH does not want me to do it.

So on one hand I have the stress of not actually running and on the other hand I have the stress about taking part.

And then there is the issue of assuming that I get better in the next few days what actual training should I do before the marathon.

Then here is the issue of race MP. We have talked about this before but do I need to adjust this to a slower race MP to take account of not running for the best part of 2 weeks, how do I find out in the short time if I can still run at 8:05 and 8:10 for 26.2 miles.

And what do I need to do to my diet over the last 10 days to rid myself of al the nasties I have been taking to deal with the virus and the fact that I have reverted to eating normal food.

Alot of questions ........

26/03/2013 at 21:12

Carl - if you shake this soon I think the best measure of your MP is to set out on a run of 6 - 8 miles based on perceived effort, i.e. what feels like a comfortable MP that you can sustain, and see what the watch tells you at the end. Maybe over simplified but that would be my approach.

Diet - I guess plenty of water to flush the system out, other than that I guess eat normally maybe focusing on protein & carbs a little more. That said my diet is rubbish so don't listen to me

26/03/2013 at 21:19

10 miler for me tonight at what I would describe as a steady effort (between HMP & MP)

Averaged 8.17 pace with av HR of 149 bpm - this pleases me as my LSR HR is usually 143bpm & tempo HR usually 160+. The run felt nice and comfortable too so felt like I'm making progress!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
26/03/2013 at 21:31
Well Carl, lots of questions! Only you can decide whether to run given that your OH doesn't want you to. She's probably worried about you running when you're not well so if you can show you're over it she might be persuaded.

What training to do? Not a lot really, trying to cram in missed miles in the last week would end in disaster. To start with, just a few miles at steady pace will get you back into it. Next run, stick in a few sets of a minute at quicker pace, just to prove to yourself that you haven't lost it. You still want to wind down again the last few days before your race.

Honestly, this was probably the best time to get ill, when you were starting to taper anyway. On the positive side, it's stopped you doing too much, which can be a problem. A couple of runs and you'll feel much bett about it all.

As for marathon pace, it's hard to say. It's now even more important not to overdo the early miles. Make sure you're running comfortably before you worry about pace. You've done enough long runs in training to know what it feels like when you're running well at a pace you can sustain. As I said to Will, as long as you don't feel like you're forcing it you're on the right lines. If that ends up being slightly slower than it might have been, then so be it, that's the best you can do on the day which is what we're all after. You won't have slowed by much though, if at all.
27/03/2013 at 08:06

Finally got myelf out in these miserable conditions, a mere 4 miles at 9 min mile, Urghhh where is spring?

27/03/2013 at 11:09
How you feeling today Carl?

Nice one Rachel, hats off to anyone out braving the elements at the moment!

Ricky, 10 miles at 8'17 and feeling like it was easy is good going. What target mp are you setting? Or waiting till after this weekend's half to decide?

I have a q if anyone cares to advise? So I did a 20 miler on Sunday but my left ankle was quite sore so I skipped Tuesdays intervals and rested up/ibuprofen and its miles better today. Am happy to run on it tomorrow for a 12 mile tempo BUT coupled with this I've had a sore throat since Monday night.

No cough or chestyness just mild head cold and middling pain sore throat. Thoughts on running tomorrow morning? Play it by ear a bit? Guess worst case scenario I could drop tomorrow and throw the 10 miles at 8'35 pace (mp) in to Sunday's 15 mile run... (Supposed to be 8'50 pace)

What do you all think?
27/03/2013 at 11:30

Will - I would get well wrapped up and go for an easy run, nothing to hard if you have some cold like symptoms. Give yourself a couple of days to feel better and also rest your ankle a bit more.

Carl - how's it going today ?

Rachel - good effort this morning. It's been snowing here every day on top of the previous snow that has frozen. Some difficult running conditions, not that I'm doing much at the moment.

I've been doing my stretches and exercises recommended at my sports massage and boy do they hurt. I can however feel my ITB and Piriformus (I think) stretching so although it's sore when I do the stretches I'm sure it must be doing some good

27/03/2013 at 12:24

Ricky, you continue to impress, good stuff!

Glad to hear you're doing the stretches Carter, when are you next out for a run?

Will, I'd run if it's not below the neck (says she who just took a week off for a headcold...)

Carl??? How are you?

27/03/2013 at 12:26
Runningrachel wrote (see)

Will, I'd run if it's not below the neck (says she who just took a week off for a headcold...)

Yes, but you're a girl 

I'm going out again tomorrow night, a full week since my last run !

27/03/2013 at 14:44

Go Carter go!! Hoping it goes well!!! 

27/03/2013 at 21:41

Will - I would go on ahead & run.. as Rachel says - use the above/below neck rule. Only if it moves below the neck into your chest would I take some rest & recovery. My MP goal is 8.35 pace for a target time of 3.45.... however I will see how things go in my HM on Saturday and , as you say, may tweak that slightly.

I'm two minds whether to go for a PB, or even sub 1.40, on Saturday and go out fast @ 7.40ish pace and try and sustain it OR settle in at 8.00 pace for the first 5 or 6 miles and then wind it up as the race goes on. The latter is probably more sensible - but "sensible" usually goes out the window with the red mist of race day!

Rachel - you got out there which is a big plus & will keep you ticking over nicely.

Wonder how Carl is feeling today?

Carter - you will be rested for your run tomorrow that's for sure... more importantly I hope you have a pain free run!

28/03/2013 at 10:35

Thought I'd pop in here to say hello - I'm pacing the 9mm group from Red Start at the VLM, so hopefully will see some of you there...

28/03/2013 at 12:41

Hi Bartholomew! Welcome

28/03/2013 at 22:12

Hello Bartholomew - not running VLM (running Limerick on 5th May) but will be glued to the TV coverage of VLM so will keep an eye out for you

28/03/2013 at 22:31

Evening all.

Considering making a comeback run tomorrow just to get a measure of myself.

This is all very complex. Am feeling much better today than yesterday. I have no idea if I really should go for a run tomorrow but I feel that if I do not I will have given in without really trying.

I cannot go mad as I am to close to the race and if I run too often or too hard I will not recover from this before Sunday week. I am probably going to be a little sluggish trying to get things moving again and I am not 100% recovered from this virus thingy. Maybe the running will knock the rest of it out of me.

When I started this journey back in November / December I was looking to break 4 hours.

By January I was targetting 3:45 and as the training has gone on I was beginning to think I could do better than that if everything was right on the day.

I could go to Paris and race at a much slower pace to get round but forget a sub 3:45 PB.

I could forget Paris and enter a marathon in early May and build back up get 2-3 weeks of good training in, taper over 2 weeks and chase a PB.

Or I could do a combination of both. Do Paris as I have entered and do another marathon in early May. Would need to go slow in Paris to ensure I recovered to do this. This almost sounds mad. 2 marathons in just over a months after being ill.

As I said very complex.

If I can I will run tomorrow, 5-6 miles probably at circa 9mm and then I can think about what I should do next.

28/03/2013 at 22:49

You never know, agentle run tomorrow may kick the immune system into gear! Good luck!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/03/2013 at 06:44
I'd give it two runs Carl. The first one after a illness will feel hard, the second wil start to feel easier and you'll bein a much better place to make a decision.
29/03/2013 at 08:13

Wise words Dave!

I am off on holiday for a week today. Trainers are packed though! I have no idea if we'll have internet access, but I'll be back next Friday! Hopefully by then Carl and Carter will be well on the way to recovery!! 

Run well everyone!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.