RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

841 to 860 of 1,200 messages
29/03/2013 at 09:31
Have a nice time Rachel !
29/03/2013 at 12:05

Rachel - enjoy the hols.

Dave- I think you are right. The first run is about reminding myself how to put one leg in front of the other, breath and all that jazz.

29/03/2013 at 19:40

So I went out there and did 7 miles today. The legs were a little heavy but that was to be expected. I decided that the first mile would dictate the type of run. If I was struggling I would do it all easy but if it felt ok, I would push a little without going mad for a few of the middle miles. The first mile felt good.

Splits as follows :

Mile 1 - 8:40

Mile 2 - 8:24

Mile 3 - 8:17

Mile 4 - 8:15

Mile 5 - 8:14

Mile 6 - 8:42

Mile 7 - 8:49

Overall 7 miles at 8:29 mm pace.

So its great to have got back out there. But this felt hard, particularly my breathing which I suppose it was always going to and I need a bit more recovery time to get my breathing working as it should. Not sure if this will happen in time for next weekend. Suddenly 26.2 miles is seeming an awful long way !!

I do not feel overly tired a few hours after doing this. I do know I have been exerting myself.

I guess the next run is going to hold the key to what I do.

I am thinking 10 miles LSR with a few miles of MP thrown in for good measure. Is that too much ?

29/03/2013 at 20:20
Sounds encouraging Carl - a few more runs and you will be back in the groove I reckon! Big positive that illness has finally gone and you are back out there.

Enjoy the break Rachel!
29/03/2013 at 21:27

Good running tomorrow Ricky.

Today was all about getting back out there and seeing how it felt for me. I am not 100% over the illness yet but am on the mend so its a case of getting the right runs in and trying to be 100% clear by a week on Sunday.

29/03/2013 at 22:07
My Nike plus watch packed up last night 8 miles into a 12 mile run bad (3rd problem in last few weeks note my Blackpool half problems) enough but today trying to get a refund from Currys & Tom Tom has been a pain - no refund or exchange had to go back to Tom Tom for repair even though it is less than 4 months old , 4 week turnaround, not the service you expect from such a big company, sad thing to protect my data I have had to buy a new Nike watch today at ??150 why do these companies not understand how us runners can just not abandon there hard earned data . sorry everyone rant over - happy weekend running
29/03/2013 at 22:13
Hello all!

Ricky, good luck for your half tomorrow.

Carl, sounds very encouraging... Probably felt harder as your muscles would probably need to fire back up a bit. When is your lsr planned for.... Sunday?

So against all of your advice(!) I didn't run on Thursday. Tbh, the sore throat got worse etc etc so I just chilled! Have now had 5 days off and missed 2 runs in theory but re-jigging so that I do 10 mile tempo tomorrow and lsr Monday. Means i only miss out 1 run overall, Then wed, fri and sun next wk which puts me back on schedule. Feel much better today...
29/03/2013 at 22:16
How annoying dd. if you're on the look out for an alternative I have been v happy with my garmin 110 for the last 2 years...
29/03/2013 at 22:58
Carl, just thinking about your situation a bit more, I think mentally you need to take the pressure off a bit. Clearly, going by your above run, you will get round. So if you are able to move fwd with only that goal in mind and psychologically don't have a target time to worry about I suspect a) you would be able to enjoy the lead up and the race and b) I'm pretty sure you'd surprise yourself with your time in any case...

Just my thoughts and what do I know eh!
30/03/2013 at 13:32
Just done 2 easy miles and 6m @ 8'35.

Cut out 4 miles in the end as still feeling effects of beng ill, ankle played up at 4.5m and am also mindful I only have 1 day recovery before my last proper LSR prior to London (15m at 8'50 on Monday).

Feel a tiny bit ropey post run which I guess was to be expected so think it was the right call to shorten the run.. More bloody ibuprofen for this ankle today and tomorrow now! It's all just injury management till 21 April isn't it?!

Wonder how Ricky's half is going and what conditions are like? It's sleeting in London!!
30/03/2013 at 14:11

DD - I used use a Nike + watch but it started to give trouble and stop recording, losing data etc. Changed over to a garmin and there is no looking back now.

Will - you could be right about taking the pressure off. After all we do this because we enjoy running ....

Edited: 30/03/2013 at 14:11
30/03/2013 at 18:38
Decent running weather today - dry & bright although a bit windy on the exposed sections of the course.

Ran 1:42.34 today which is just 35 secs outside my PB. Given that my PB was 7 years ago on much flatter course I am quite pleased with the run.

The course was quite undulating with some long uphill drags including a half mile one in the 12th mile and quite a steep 400m up to the finish.

Very congested at the start - 3000 runners with 5k funrunners mixed in. Many of them, including kids, positioned up with the 1.30 pacer. Narrow streets for first 2 miles so lost a bit of time here with interrupted stride/ getting boxed in etc.

Felt like I could maybe have pushed a little harder as my HR was lower in the second half and don't feel that tired after it. However I just kind of settled into a 7.45ish pace and decided to keep it there. Intended to push it from mile 12 but it was a tough uphill mile and the push didn't materialise.

Quite pleased I ran at an even pace - a first for me to be so disciplined!

Splits:

7.50; 7.53; 7.41; 7.57; 7.39; 7.40; 7.44; 8.01; 7.44; 7.46; 7.43; 8.05; 7.42; (0.1 6.55 pace)
30/03/2013 at 20:48
Excellent effort Ricky. Sounds like you had some left in the tank as well(?) which surely bodes really well for your marathon effort...
30/03/2013 at 21:04
Great run Ricky . watch latest - after sleeping on it and seeing via forums on the internet the number of runners having issues I returned the replacement Nike watch and invested in a Garmin 210 with my first heart rate monitor, can't wait to try it out tomorrow though I am going to give the heart rate monitor a miss until after the marathon
30/03/2013 at 21:19
Can't go wrong with a garmin Dd! I have a 510 and it is faultless. Best bit of running kit I have ever bought!

Will - the hills definitely slowed me in the last few miles ... I think I needed someone to tow me along at that stage. On reflection I regret not pushing on a little harder in the first half. This pacing is a tricky business !
30/03/2013 at 22:19

Ricky - great run from you today. Great pace too considering that you got frustrated at the start. Imagine mixing the kids in with elite athletes like your good self .......

As you say this pacing thing is really tricky. I am going to throw a few miles of my original target MP into my run tomorrow to see what it feels like. But I am not going to stress too much about pace this week.

Just checked the paris marathon website. There are 50,000 registered runners for next Sunday. Just as well I pushed myself up the field when I enetered and am in the Blue pen which is sub 3:30 time. At least it is a wide start and straight unlike London.  

30/03/2013 at 23:10

Carl - I sense a shift in your thoughts... looks like you are going to give Paris a go?

Dd - I wear my HR monitor all the time... find it very useful to keep pace slow enough on LSRs and also great for measuring your progress over time.. quite satisfying to see your avg HR come down over the same route & pace during the course of a concentrated training plan.

Used it today and it told me I put less effort into the 2nd half than the first even the though I ran each 6.5miles at an almost identical time. (HR in first half of the race avgd 162 and 157 in second half - overall avg for the race was 159). Explain that one!

31/03/2013 at 20:06

Ricky - if I was injured it would be easier to give in. As it was only a virus (albeit a very bad virus) I should be able to get round. I am sortof stubborn and hate not doing something. The difference with thios marathon is that it is the first time that my finishing time actually matters to me. As I was running for charity on my last 2 attempts, it was all about taking part and getting to the finish line.

Just need to convince my OH as on Wednesday I had sortof said I would not do it.

31/03/2013 at 20:11

10 miles today with 4 miles at just above MP. Felt really lethargic before and during the run. Feel a little bit better since.

First 4 miles at 8:46 mm avg.

Next 4 miles as follows : 7:55; 7:49; 7:49 and 7:48

Final 2 miles at 8:30 mm each.

Overall 10 miles at 8:21 min/mile avg.

Mile 8 was hard and needed me to dig deep and really push hard. A few weeks ago I would not even have noticed. The virus has taken the edge off my lung capacity and that will be a factor in Paris (assuming I convince you know who).

Need to think about what other runs I fit in this week. Do not want to overdo it but need to keep rebuilding the confidence.

Going to be a challenging week while I work out what race day strategy should be. I could run it conservatively. I could try and race it with my 3:45 time in mind. I could stop worryinga nd just turn up and go and see what happens ....

Going to be a challenging week.

31/03/2013 at 21:22

Ok my training for this week is as follows :

Tue - 4 x 800s at MP

Wed - 4 miles easy

Thu - 2 x 800s at MP

This should hopefully get rid of that sluggish feeling I have at the moment after being a layabout for the last two weeks.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.