RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

861 to 880 of 1,200 messages
31/03/2013 at 21:47

Carl - just turn up in Paris, ditch your watch & enjoy it. Whatever will be will be.

Save the "magic" for your May/June marathon when you are more like yourself.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/04/2013 at 08:57
I've been away for a few days so a bit of catching up to do. A great half from Ricky, nice and even and a lot closer to your old pb than you thought you'd be. That higher HR in the first half is down to not being able to warm up properly, a problem with these big races and something you just have to manage. Another good reason for an easy first few miles.

Will, good job cutting that short, the right thing. Not a lot to be gained overdoing it at this stage.

Dd, if you're worried about losing data you could upload to something like Strava.

Carl, it's clear you've put a lot on getting this target, which is fair given the effort you've put in getting this far. But Will's right, if you can take some pressure off you'll probably get a better result. Sometimes the burden of expectation itself is the biggest hurdle to overcome. I wouldn't go so far as ditching your watch completely, but if you can avoid worrying about whether you're 5s slower than MP and whether your illness has caused it you'll end up with a better result. Your half last month showed that you can finish strongly after a slower first half so tell yourself that in Paris you're not going to think about finish time until after halfway.
01/04/2013 at 10:11

Some really great running here, well done everyone! It's good to be able to read good things as keeping me motivated through the injury.

Still unable to run (hurts to walk still). Been able to get on the bike at the gym and swim a bit so doing enough to stop me going completely crazy. Pulled out of MK sadly, but have entered a local one at the end of June. I'm hoping it'll take only a week or two more to recover, say 2 weeks, and then that'll give me about 10 weeks to the marathon. How best should I get back into training? Before the injury I had worked up to a 20 mile long run on the end of a 40 mile week, and then had an easy week, and then injury. Having 4/5 weeks off, i've no idea how to get back into it, and obviously quite nervous of pushing myself too hard and aggrevating the injury.... Any ideas would be great!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/04/2013 at 10:47
If you've been on he bike then you'll have kept your aerobic fitness from before your injury, so it's really a case of building back up without aggravating the injury again. Make sure you're comfortable doing the shorter runs (5 or 6 miles or so) at a reasonable pace before you increase distance again. However once you've done that you can probably increase back to 20 fairly quickly. I'd give it a couple of weeks back running before starting the long runs again. Keep the cycling going while your running mileage is coming back too.
01/04/2013 at 11:24

Dave - ditching my watch would be fairly dramatic. AS this is the first marathon since buying my new garmin it would not be fair to deprive it of recording its longest run to date !!!!

Taking the pressure off will be important. I really do not know what the true impact of my illness has been and I guess I will find out when I try and run 26.2 miles. Whilst I have been able to push out some reasonable times / paces during my initial two runs on my comeback I have planning to do some interval type training at MP this week to get rid of that sluggish feeling I have had.

My original target was to get under 4 hours and I guess where I am now that is the only target I am going into Sunday with.

Anything better than this will be a bonus if it happens.

I think I am going to take the first half steady without worrying too much about a specific pace.

If I can get to mile 16 in good shape and feeling strong, then I can begin to push a little and get through to mile 21. If still in good shape I can then push for the finish.

Whatever will be will be.

As you say I might surprise myself and if I do that would be great. I can always run another one in 2-3 months time or wait until the Autumn.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/04/2013 at 12:25
Sounds like a plan Carl. Wear the watch obviously, but it doesn't need to be the focus of your race.
01/04/2013 at 14:17
Carl, that 10 miler was at a very decent pace. I suspect you will feel much less sluggish on tomorrow's run. I think you're in decent shape all things considered. YOur strategy for Paris sounds spot on...

Rwtw, hope your recovery goes to plan and you are back out running very soon.

Thanks dave, it's not in my nature to 'rein it in'!!

Went out and did 15 miles today at 8'49 pace. Feel so much better/recovered from illness today. Held the pace comfortably (apart from the last mile where i struggled) and dotted in 3 miles at mp (8'35). First couple of miles at 9'05 and then dropped into a rhythm around 8'45-50 with the odd 8'35 thrown in. Ankle mostly held up as well so very happy with my last lsr. Properly into taper now for London...
01/04/2013 at 17:07

Thanks Dave and Will. Trying to stay positive that this will go soon! 

The one i'm now entered in is particularly hilly, whereas MK is flat as a pancake, so don't think sub 4 will be happening, especially with the injury. Hoping instead to just enjoy it, but now need to get some decent hill training in! Since moving to London i've struggled to find any sort of hill nearby and having come from the hilly countryside where just about every run involves an incline, this has been odd! Might be reduced to hitting the treadmill for hill training...anyone else do this?

Hope you are all enjoying the last few hours of bank holiday!

01/04/2013 at 17:23
Rwtw, where are you in London? Richmond park excellent for hill training and also muswell hill...
01/04/2013 at 17:34

I'm over in Southwark. Nearest is probably Greenwich, but that's still about 6 miles away so not ideal really. Richmond is also quite a trek sadly - I get round that way on long runs, but probably too far for hill training (I'm not a massive fan of having to take a bus/tube to get to somewhere, then run, and bus/tube back...like to just head out running from the door!). Might still go out there at some point at weekends

01/04/2013 at 17:35

Saying that. might head out that way on long runs and incorporate some hills in them. Just would also like a good mid week hill session, and that's looking like it'll mean hitting the treadmill.

01/04/2013 at 20:26
Hmmm, what about work? Near to primrose hill at all??

Does anyone know how I find out prior to expo what pen I'm likely to be in for VLM? I entered through shelter so didn't put a time down! I have a runner number now...

Also any canny thoughts on electrolyte tabs and dropping them in water bottles enroute without it being a faff/slowing me down? I will carry 500ml with a nuun in it from the start but ideally want a second one either after that or after mile 13... Any thoughts? Anyone know if the water is just in bottles? Pls not those sodding water pouches?!
01/04/2013 at 20:30

Will - sadly no. Work is London Bridge. Central London is far too flat! (I never thought i'd be complaining about that!)

Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/04/2013 at 20:46
I don't think you can find out until the expo Will, but if you take along a copy of recent results you can get your pen upgraded.

Water is in bottles at VLM, small ones (less than 500 ml) but you can put a tab in.
01/04/2013 at 20:51

Will - water in VLM comes in bottles as does the lucozade sports drink. All in 330ml size too to make it easier to carry. There is water every mile after about mile 3.

RWTW - great that you are out running again. Others will no doubt give you better advice than me on frequency of hill sessions. I would have thought a once a week decent specific session would be great. Is Crystal Palace too far away ?

01/04/2013 at 20:58
Thanks dave and Carl. Like the tip about the recent result dave, might have to print out my reading half result!
01/04/2013 at 21:08

Carl - sadly I'm not out running yet. Still struggling alone and its definitely a trapped scatic nerve. On an electrical erve stimulator machine though which is helping so hopefully just a couple of weeks more. Crystal Palace is a good shout - go swimming there so could tie it in with that occasionally!

02/04/2013 at 18:48
Got the dreaded man flu, second day in bed but feeling a bit better, have a slow 10 miler planned for Thursday, should be out tonight for a 6 mile tempo feel bad for missing out especially after an afternoon of George and Mildred on free view!!!
02/04/2013 at 22:44

4 x 800m intervals at MP on the local running track tonight.

Feeling really good and finding them easy. Started the last and as I increased the pace on the first bend, felt sharp pain in my left hammy. Pulled up immediately and hobbled home.

Trying not to panic but ........

02/04/2013 at 23:03

Carl, Carl, Carl ........ nooooo.... Not good, not good at all. Someone up there doesn't want you to run Paris.

See how it feels after a good nights rest. I guess if the pain is still there in the morning it's time to make that decision that you haven't wanted to make.

Gutted for you m8

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.