RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

961 to 980 of 1,200 messages
15/04/2013 at 22:57

Words escape me .....  Shocking  ...... thoughts with all those caught up in this madness .......

16/04/2013 at 22:11
Carl, I'm in red start by the way - not sure what that means? Is it he slowest section?
16/04/2013 at 22:15

Dave - yes post your race no. up ...will be great to follow yours & Will's progress on Sunday morning

Treadmill intervals tonight for me. 5 mile session on total - 0.5ml w/up @ 9.20 then 8 x 0.3mls @ 6.40 with a final 0.5ml @ 7.04 to finish. 

17/04/2013 at 08:25
Fast interval session Ricky!

Carl, thanks for the heads up on the expo, I'm going to go and register after work today... Note to self, pay day is not till next wk...
Cheerful Dave    pirate
17/04/2013 at 09:16

Will, red start is mainly the charity places with the fast good for age at the front.  Blue is ballot & club places with the championship entries and elite at the front.  Green is good for age with celebs at the front.  Each has numbered pens and the pen number is shown on the race number you pick up at the expo.  It'll be based on the time you put down as your estimate when you entered.    Bearing in mind that most finishers take more than 4:30, you shouldn't be too far back.

Enjoy the expo - say hi to Dan on the Xempo stand.

Found the letter: my number is 821.

17/04/2013 at 09:55

(de-lurking)...Will, I've been off red before with a sub-4 estimated time...I think I was pen 4 or 5, and it took me a couple of minutes (3 max) to cross the line. Didn't really have any problems with congestion, so I expect you'll have no problem.  Make sure you give the blues (and greens) a lot of noise when you merge at mile 3

CD - I think I'll give Dan's stand a miss....if I like the look of the next colour up from the blue (no idea what it is) I might be tempted to go for that time which could be foolish

Best of luck to everyone here doing VLM and other marathons....hoping CD's wise words through the campaign help...and you're doing a lot better than I ever did growing up as I never did anything he told me....well kid sisters never do, do they?

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 09:55
17/04/2013 at 13:01
Will - red start moves much quicker than people think particularly if you are near the front.

All getting very exciting on here.

Have popped over to Ireland for a few days but will be back in London on Sunday. Should have brought my wet weather running gear !!!
17/04/2013 at 19:20

Been lurking for a while - best of luck to everyone doing VLM extra, really hopr it goes well.

Finally walking pain free (been 5.5 weeks now), so hoping to run by the end of the week/ next week. I've entered a marathon end of June, which, if i'm running by end of next week, gives me 8 weeks. Reckon this'll be enough? Worried about pushing myself too far too fast, so will see how things go, but pre injury I was up to my 20miler, and have been cross training lots, so unsure how much my fitness will have dropped. Obviously a very personal thing so hard to predict....but is 8 weeks (so 6 really and a taper) enough to get back to where I was?! Any advice would be great!

17/04/2013 at 22:15

RWTW - the cross training should have kept your aerobic fitness in check however I reckon it'll be a matter of running on feel to see how the injury reacts.

Ideally with 8 weeks to go you would want to get 3 or 4 more 20 milers in before a 3 week taper. However straight back up to that mileage may be too much for the injury and put you back to square 1. You will get a better feel of what is possible after your first few runs.

Personally if you have a goal marathon time in mind I would be planning an Autumn Marathon as 8 weeks isn't giving you much time after you injury problems. However if you are content just to finish with no goal time in mind then go for it!

17/04/2013 at 23:17
Thanks dave - reassuring to hear. Due to work I didn't get to the expo till 7.30 so only had time to visit shelter stand (my charity) and spunk some cash on an official top! Managed to avoid rookie errors like new trainers or buying gels I've never used before...JUST!

Hi freemers and thanks. Good to know as I'm in pen 5..

Carl, must be all the excitement! Bet loads go out too quick right? Will have to rein that in myself I expect, garmin is my friend...

Rwtw, glad to hear you are mended. Not sure but I'd probably just give it a go? You have 5 wks and then a taper, is that right? So you could do 13, 15, 20, 15, 20 for your long runs if the fitness is still there?

Good luck to everyone running London.. I'm already like a kid before Xmas, it's going to be unbearable waiting till Sunday!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
18/04/2013 at 08:44

RWTW, at this stage I'd probably view a marathon in 8 weeks as a long training run - as long as you look after your injury you could probably build distance back up fairly quickly if you've been doing lots of cross training, but it's too close to really go for it as an A race.  Apart from anything else you want to avoid the temptation to cram in too many 20 milers to make up for the ones you've missed.

OTOH, sometimes the best races happen when you have no expectations and hit the start line with no pressure to perform, so who knows what might happen?  The priority is not to rush back in too quickly.  Will's long run plan sounds about right, but I'd probably throw in an 18 at easy pace the next week (i.e. 2 weeks out).  There's not a lot of point having a 3 week taper if there's not a huge volume to taper from.  Two weeks is fine as long as that last long run is nice and easy.

18/04/2013 at 18:08

Exciting times Will! Enjoy the whole experience!!

18/04/2013 at 18:17

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I think if I do the marathon it would just be to finish it an get the first one under the belt - its in my home town and hilly so not one for a fast time anyway.

18/04/2013 at 20:06
Hi everyone back from my six days working away from home, have done no running at all this week due to long work days and no hotel gyms, planning two slow six milers Fri @ Sat before heading away again Monday so this is the last weekend for me to do anything, does anyone know of anyone who has received a MCR marathon pack? I leave Monday and will have to have plan B if it has not shown up
Good luck Sunday Will looking forward to watching VLM on the TV
18/04/2013 at 20:12
Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes.

Does anyone else struggle to carb load to recommended levels?! So far today I've had;

1 peanut butter toast
1 pain au choc
Chicken sarnie
Small glass smoothie
Small superfood salad
1 apple/2 small bags grapes
Handful of nuts/raisins
6 x mini flapjack bites

And I've worked that out to be 300 grams of carbs s I'm at least 200 short! Pasta supper and 2 more peanut butter toast shld get me to 400-450 but ill struggle to gt much further that! And I've been picking deliberately high carb foods...!
18/04/2013 at 20:15
Oh and an energy drink within the 300 carbs..
18/04/2013 at 22:12

Dd,I received my marathon number for Manchester a couple of weeks ago...

18/04/2013 at 22:54

Will - stop it..... you're making me hungry! I haven't though much about carb loading when the time comes... must get googling! Have you got your race no. yet so we can track you? (too lazy to read back to see if you have already posted it - sorry)

Dd .... a great enforced taper! Frustrating though not even to have access to a treadmill ... still you've the miles in the bank and the rest will stand you in good stead.

I did my first tapering LSR tonight instead of Sunday (have a 10k race on Sunday).... 14 miles at avg 8.57 pace with last 4 @ MP.  Good run - knee niggle seems to have gone completely *touch wood/everything crossed*

18/04/2013 at 22:59
Heh, don't worry you'll get your go Ricky!

Runner number is 47136...

Nice 14 miler there Ricky, how dd it feel?
19/04/2013 at 17:53
Number arrived today - just back from a slow 10k in 51 mins great to get the shorts on
Great run Ricky
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.