RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

81 to 100 of 1,201 messages
03/01/2013 at 16:00

Hi Reedee! I think I read somewhere about needing to do 5 long runs that ass up to 100 miles or more. My plan last time fell a bit short of that, so I planning on having more longer runs. I'm sure Carter's plan is well worth a look (and drop in on his thread too!!)

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/01/2013 at 16:11

Reedee, from what I've seen of the asics plans on the official super 6 (or is it 5 now?) threads they do seem a bit light on the long runs.  Rachel's plan builds up to 5x 20 mile runs and I suspect that carters isn't much different, but the trick is to ramp up the length of the long run properly, especially if this is your first one.  Do it too quickly and you'll likely end up injured.

There are lots of plans out there and carter's is probably as good as any.  At the end of the day though, once you weed out the stuff they put in some of them to make them look complicated, they all boil down to the same thing: a long weekend run, building up to 20 miles or so, with shorter, faster stuff during the week.  There's lots of variety on what that midweek stuff actually is (tempo runs, intervals, a midweek middle distance (10m or so) run if you have time) but if you get out consistently you won't go far wrong.  Follow some of the threads and ask questions - even carter doesn't bite

03/01/2013 at 16:28
Render I have done Edinburgh twice missed out this year applied too late so have gone back to MCR _ course is nice and flat with no surprises apart from the good old Scottish weather plus 30 degree first year driving rain second year _ enjoy
03/01/2013 at 16:29
Bad spelling sorry Reedee !
Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/01/2013 at 14:05

Since Rachel is having a rest day today and therefore has nothing to report, I'll post mine: 8 miles this lunchtime, reasonably brisk without going mad, felt OK and it didn't rain for the first time in ages.

04/01/2013 at 14:29
Rest day for me with a 10 miler tomorrow
04/01/2013 at 14:32

Rachel - Dave is allowing you rest days ? I hope you realise how lucky you are as Spoons is a right slave driver !!

04/01/2013 at 15:53

Ha ha Carter!!! I'm mentally preparing for tomorrow's 10 miler (at what pace Dave???)

Dave, I am smiling at your "8 mile" lunchtime run..as though it were a jog round the block! Out of interest Dave, what's your own marathon PB?

04/01/2013 at 15:59

Rachel - your 10 miles tomorrow should be at least 5:45 pace

Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/01/2013 at 16:03

Keep the effort level similar to last week Rachel, which might mean it's at a slightly quicker pace.  You're looking for a strong finish, remember.  The distance starts increasing from next week, as I recall.

I managed 2:35 for 3 years before falling back to 2:39 last year.  Hoping for something in that ballpark again this year, if all goes well.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/01/2013 at 16:05

If that's per km carter, you're just about bang on!

04/01/2013 at 16:07

04/01/2013 at 18:58

Crikey Dave, 2:35!!!! I am honoured to be learning from you oh speedy one!!

Carter, is this what Spoons has done to you in such a short time? Help is available on this thread. We're here if you need us! 

04/01/2013 at 20:13
From the way Spoons and I are at the moment it is medical help that we need !

Rachel - How do you mentally prepare for such a training run as the one you're running tomorrow ?

Dave - do more experienced runners like you mentally prepare for training runs or do you just lace up and get on with it ?
04/01/2013 at 20:18

It's not my fault if he keeps falling off pavements when drunk!

04/01/2013 at 22:39
It most definitely was you who taught me that particular skill
04/01/2013 at 22:49

My mental preparation this evening has consisted of watching Battleship (excellent film!) and thinking how hideously early I'm going to have to get up! 

What's everyone's feelings on music whilst running? I always do music for a long run, though often not for a short. Problem in Liverpool marathon was no music allowed, and there were a couple of times when it seemed very quiet!!

04/01/2013 at 23:00
During a long training run I will take my music along but won't listen to it all the time. During the colder weather I find that the earphones keep my inside ears warm ! I totally understand why people listen to music as it can help through the difficult times. But those people who listen to music but aren't fully aware of their surroundings get on my nerves. If they arent allowed in races people should get used to running long distances withou them. Fortunately, a lot of my LSRs are done in the peaks where I don't see too many people
05/01/2013 at 09:13

I sometimes listen to audiobooks when I'm out on the trails for a few hours. Sometimes music is helpful but the problem is if you always listen to it you come to rely on it. Then come marathon day, when you're 21 miles in and it's getting tough and the music isn't there to help it can feel even harder. Everything in moderation I guess, even music! Running with friends is the same. It's much more fun to have a mate to chat with on a long run and can drag you along if you're feeling shite. But on race day they aren't there to support.....

05/01/2013 at 10:07

I agree Spoons, I certainly missed my music at mile 20 in Liverpool...maybe I should do some long runs without it this time....

Dave, 10 miler done in 1 hour 30 mins and 2 seconds, which is an average of a 9 min mile I believe. Felt a nice pace, and I upped the pace for the last mile, with a sprint for the last 200 metres or so. I had a gel before going out today as well as at the 5 mile point as I don't normally eat before running, and it seemed to help

81 to 100 of 1,201 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.