RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,021 to 1,040 of 1,200 messages
22/04/2013 at 19:52
Dave, lesson learned indeed! I do wonder as well how much it affected the run doing only 2 runs a week in my taper (due to ankle injury and ongoing cold). What do you reckon? Probably good to have the extra rest?!

Thanks carter, mile 22 was really tough!

I've got sunburnt shoulders today which I wasn't expecting and legs that won't walk downstairs which I was expecting! It's also funny how the injuries that disrupt training badly seem to be the ones that are fine come race day. On all my 20 mile LSRs I have had a v tight left hammy after 18 miles, yesterday - nothing on that front. And the ankle was fine. It was the right calf that decided to play up!

Ricky, when is your marathon?
22/04/2013 at 22:02

Dave - yes fairly happy with 10k but felt I could have pushed a little harder. I was hoping for 45 something and was at halfway at 22.59 so in theory it was on. However when we turned to come home we were into a strong headwind and I settled in my head for a 46 and didn't push as hard as I might have.. kind of regret it now as I was close and my second 5k was 23.21 . Looking at the results there were very few with neg splits and most people ran around a min slower in the second 5k. This would explain why I seemed to pass quite a few in the last few k. I didn't even bother looking at my watch in the last 2k - first I looked at it was to stop it as I crossed the line!

Will - my garmin said 7.23 pace but it measured the course as "over distance" @ 6.27 miles instead of 6.21 miles so my true pace would have been a few seconds slower than this. My Marathon (Limerick) is a week on Sunday (5th May)!

22/04/2013 at 22:09
Ooh, exciting Ricky, am rooting for you already!
23/04/2013 at 00:10
Jemmett - Good to hear from you. None of us here are as qualified as Dave to give advice but every so often you will find us doing just that. Dave is a legend here as we can only but dream of running a marathon like he does. So whatever he says is gospel. Whatever we say might be good advice. Hopefully you will get to the start line. You can then join a growing band of people who have had an ailment leading up to the event and still somehow have ended up doing ok. Most important thing when running (see I am doing it) a marathon with an injury that might cause a problem is to enjoy the experience and do not go off too fast.
23/04/2013 at 00:14
Will - it may have been difficult managing the stairs today but you nailed a great result yesterday when it could have gone horribly wrong. So be proud of those tender muscles and bask in the glory that you have done something that most people at your work place will never ever do.
Assume that you are resting this week. What is next for you on the racing agenda ?
23/04/2013 at 09:14
Thanks Carl, I have to say you've all been great on hear with your support and wise words.

Think I'm going to have a crack at getting 5k down under 22 mins and 10k under 45 mins... Will be interested to see and take tips from your 10k training plan. No imminent race but need to book something. How about you?
23/04/2013 at 09:30

Will - how are your legs feeling today ?

23/04/2013 at 23:05

Will - I am doing the Bupa 10k in London on May 27th. About to embark on some serious training for this. I will probably do another 10k in July, doing the Rotyal Parks HM in October and also doing Dublin marathon at the end of October. I might add something in August just to keep me ticking over.

I have posted an outline of my proposed training plan over on the other thread if you want to have a looksee.

Trust that the legs are working a little better today.

23/04/2013 at 23:24
Bit better thanks carter!

Ahh, which thread is that Carl?
23/04/2013 at 23:27

Carters thread. We are compiling a list of races for the rest of this year as well just to add to the fun.

24/04/2013 at 17:33

AN impressive line up Carl!!

24/04/2013 at 20:44

So ... who's up this weekend? Am I correct in thinking Dd is running Manchester on Sunday?

Hill session for me tonight - 4 miles in total. 

25/04/2013 at 11:05
Ricky you are correct Mc for me this Sunday - I am in my MCR hotel already as I had to work in the north west ,work payed so at least that's something _ couple of treadmill plods this week for me to keep the legs from getting bored
Cheerful Dave    pirate
25/04/2013 at 11:29

Have a good one Dd.  Feeling confident?

25/04/2013 at 17:12

Excited for your Dd!!! I'm trying not to dwell too much on the fact that I should have been running too Doing pretty well getting out for regular runs though- another 4 miles at 6 am today and derm. appointment in 2 weeks

25/04/2013 at 18:38
Dave I have done it feels like a three week taper with having to work away, all I have been doing is some hotel treadmill and a 10k run outside last Saturday and , off to the hotel gym now and then another hotel jacket potato!
25/04/2013 at 22:32

Dd - well done for holding it together with all that working away. We will all be rooting for you come Sunday. Enjoy and good luck.

25/04/2013 at 22:36

Rachel - I have never been able to do this 6am running thing. Well done you for getting the miles in. Hopefully everything will come togetehr the way you want over the next few weeks.

6.65 mile tempo run from me tonight with 3 miles at 7:15 pace in the middle. This was tough but I guess it was always going to be what with the taper madness before paris, and still recovering from the marathon itself. It was great to go out running after work in daylight !!

25/04/2013 at 22:41

Dd - all very exciting! Remind us again what your target finish is?

Rachel - early running this morning! I am the opposite -Did my last long run of the taper this evening.

Tonights 10ml run was a great confidence booster - was supposed to be at MP and that translated to 8.21 avg pace and was very comfortable. Felt just like a LSR in fact & chatted to my running bud the whole way round. Effects of the taper kicking in maybe?

26/04/2013 at 00:23
Hi Rachel - good to see you getting out and about still, despite the redicilous time of day you go out running !! No running for me for the last 10 days now

Dd - good luck for Sunday at Manchester. Like Rachel, I too was meant to be running but have had to pull out through injury. What is your target time for the race ?
1,021 to 1,040 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.