RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

181 to 200 of 1,200 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/01/2013 at 23:17
Carter - thepowerof10.info - lists race results.
12/01/2013 at 10:25

12 miles done in 1:52:42 (average pace 9.24 min mile) I made a real effort to run a bit slower, but I find it so hard, not to always be wanting to push for a faster time. Anyway, today WAS slower. I had one gel at 6 miles (and a banana before going out of the house) and until the last mile was fine. I definitely felt like I was flagging then,but wonder how much is pycological, since I picked up the pace in the last half mile. Anyway, tis done

12/01/2013 at 11:16

Wooohoo; well done! And SO exxcited RE Liverpool half too! Enjoy the rest of your day after running 12 miles!

12/01/2013 at 13:48

Carter - Running at that pace felt very slow. Running the 8.30ish miles really help with your threshold type pace dont they and then anything over about 9.40 feels really nice and easy. Im guessing its just making sure it gradually becomes easy over 18/19+ miles, rather than the current long runs im doing of 8/9 miles.

Dave - Good luck at Wokingham, what kind of time are you going for?

Rachel - Great 12 miler there and good luck at Liverpool (you too Jess)

I have looked at getting compression shorts but they seem sooo expensive and dont really know whether they are worth the money.

12/01/2013 at 17:40
I did my parkrun and got a PB as predicted. Only thing is, they have blatantly had issues with the timer/barcode scanner - people are showing as finishing in front of people they know they finished behind, the person who took token 53 home with him is showing as finishing at 55 and other stuff.

And they've got my time wrong! I started my Garmin when they said 'go' and stopped it the second I crossed the line. My Garmin says 25:55 (a PB by 1 min 2 seconds) but I'm down as 26:17. Now, I'm usually out by a second or two but 22 seconds? When there are so many other errors? Nah.

So my 5k PB is 25:55, according to me
12/01/2013 at 17:47

Well done Nykie! That's amazing!! I'd go with your garmin for sure! I'm threatening my kids with a "family parkrun session" one day soon! I think my older ones are scared they'll be beaten! ha ha!! 

12/01/2013 at 17:49
Not much chance of that !!!!
12/01/2013 at 17:58

Nykie - We once had a similar issue at Hudds. The tokens were probably not in order when they were being handed out is my guess. Great running though, if its on a measured course (which all parkruns are) then its a PB of 25.55 in my book!

12/01/2013 at 18:01

Trust me Carter, last time I took my older boys out I had comments such as "I can't breathe..." "run on without me..." as a responsible parent, I waited for them, only for them to sprint home at the end and claim victory! So wrong!!

My entry is in for the Liverpool half now...a  nice "mini goal" to aim for. My question is whether you go for a PB in a half 6 weeks before the marathon? Or is this counter productive? My half PB in March last year was 1:51, but it was a blisteringly hot day which I blame for robbing me of my sub 1:50...

12/01/2013 at 18:05
Thanks. My Garmin read 3.11miles. It was a first anniversary parkrun so a lot of people and one of the poor scanner people was a little frazzled! I've done scanning at my usual parkrun and there were some errors made today. I was terrified of getting frazzled when I scanned but luckily it was a fairly even race so never really overwhelmed.

My new PB equates to a 4:12 marathon - better get running, eh?
12/01/2013 at 18:06
That's not wrong Rachel. It's only when you miscalculate how close to home to sprint off that it's wrong
seren nos    pirate
12/01/2013 at 18:07

I would say that a half 6 nweeks before the marathon is the perfect time to race it and get a PB as long as no niggles.............it replaces a long run so should be aboiut the same effort in total.......

Cheerful Dave    pirate
12/01/2013 at 18:34

Wow, a lot going on today.  Nice long run Rachel.  You might need to think about what to eat before you go out.  Lots of people do go running after a minimal breakfast but you don't want to be underfuelled.  It's quite an individual thing - what are you planning on doing on race day before the start?

I'd see no problem in giving the half a proper go, as seren says 6 weeks is plenty of time to recover properly and it's good to get some proper race miles in.

Nice pb Nykie.  Sometimes they do get problems at parkruns - there are so many now it'd be a miracle if they didn't now & again.  Perfect excuse to go & nail an official pb next time!

James, I put 1:15 on my entry but I'm not sure I'm in that kind of shape, maybe a minute or two slower than that.

Parkrun for me too today, CD junior has been badgering me to take him to Bushy as he's heard that it's a quicker course than our local one, so we ran that.  Then I had a cross country league race this afternoon.  Not my favourite racing but this course wasn't too bad - not too muddy for a change.

12/01/2013 at 18:57
12 miles done this afternoon great to get the trainers back on after not running since Tuesday 1hr 50. ,9 min 10 pace - again really hard to run slow and I know I should be going slower
Recovery run tomorrow - Dave what's the score with a recovery run any particular pace/distance that should aimed for?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
12/01/2013 at 19:31
Dd, it's a chance to just go out & enjoy it, whatever you fancy. Try going off road if you can, there's less impact on the joints on the softer ground. A few miles at whatever pace comes naturally.
12/01/2013 at 19:46

Hi Nykie - congratulations on your parkrun PB. 

Hi  Dd - nice run today. We all seem to struggle to run slowly !

Hi Rachel - excellent run today, well done. Put your feet up and relax tonight  

12/01/2013 at 23:47

Wow - very busy on here now with a lot of running being done.

Rachel - well done for today. Good running. Interesting that we are all beginning to experiment with food during these longer runs. All I can say is that I am taking on less whilst running further this year.

Nykie - well done for your PB. Hopefully you can repeat it again soon and get them to record it.

Dd - we are all having the 'run too fast' during slow run problem at the moment. I was aiming for 9:20 - 9:30 mm during my LSR today and ended up at 9:11 mm but I did push it a little during the last 4 miles.

Cheerful Dave - a minute or two slower than 1:15 you say. I think that is well within the allowable margin of error. Waty too fast for me.

James  - I do have a pair of compression shorts. They were a tad expensive and when I wear them (currently during my speed sessions), they are like a comfort blanket. They may not do anything for me but I think they are protecting me and it allows me push just that little bit more.

Recovery run for me in the morning. If it is cold I will probably do it indoors and also go for a swim.

13/01/2013 at 11:51
Hello all,

First post / first marathon. Good to have somewhere to chat others in the same boat...

Lsr this morning, 17m at 9'20

Hope you're all getting out today

Cheers

Will
13/01/2013 at 14:02

Hi Will and welcome! Which marathon are you doing? That's an impressive 17 miler!!

Carl, I agree about the fuelling talk...I think I've been overdoing it in the past!! I could potentially shave off minutes by saving myself the weight of carrying all those gels! And a speedy long run for you! 

For the Liverpool marathon I had a large bowl of porridge before hand, but I don;t think I could do that on a Saturday morning. I have to just get up and go before I've had too long to think about it!

I need to do a 3 mile recovery run today..will try to go befire it gets too dark and cold! I hope we don't get the forecast snow this week, or else I'll have to find the treadmill amongst the clutter- I haven't used it for a while!!

13/01/2013 at 16:59
The parkrun results have been rejigged and I'm down for 25:59 which I'm happy with

I did a XC race today (only 5 miles) and saw a girl wearing Skins. I don't usually like them but they were grey and black and didn't have the yellow bits. They looked really nice, although she was a racing snake...
181 to 200 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.