RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

801 to 820 of 1,200 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/03/2013 at 08:43

Carl, talk of not running in Paris is premature - as I said on the othe thread, if you did nothing at all until then you'd still run a decent race.  It's classic 'taper madness' to think that your race will be ruined if you can't get in these final sessions but honestly, if it's just a regular bug you'll be fine for the race and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.  At least you're not injured...

....unlike RWTW.  Unlucky there, sounds like something you need to get sorted.  If you can do something else like cycling you can maintain fitness until you're running again.

22/03/2013 at 16:37

Carl, not good that you are still ill, but as Dave says, don't throw in the towel yet!

I think for me the marathon won't be happening this spring, It is tough to finally type this, but I think I need to enjoy my running and follow your journeys instead this time, I am soooo gutted, but I will still be around the thread on a daily basis and will certainly be taking on a marathon again next year!

22/03/2013 at 17:33
Bad news Rachel - your thread has been really informative and has really helped me with my training, hope you can make a late year marathon - I am thinking of Loch Ness at end of October or Chester again,so maybe you could fit it in one of these?
22/03/2013 at 19:00
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Carl, talk of not running in Paris is premature - as I said on the othe thread, if you did nothing at all until then you'd still run a decent race.  It's classic 'taper madness' to think that your race will be ruined if you can't get in these final sessions but honestly, if it's just a regular bug you'll be fine for the race and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.  At least you're not injured...

....unlike RWTW.  Unlucky there, sounds like something you need to get sorted.  If you can do something else like cycling you can maintain fitness until you're running again.

Dave - you are right of course.  I will try and not let the madness take over my brain. Hopefully by tomorrow I will see signs of an improvement. As you say its not an injury so once recovered I can run.

22/03/2013 at 20:56

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.... no HM tomorrow - just been postponed due to weather conditions & advice of the local police force.

Right time to juggle again.... thinking LSR on Sunday instead if weather improves and do Omagh HM instead next Saturday.

22/03/2013 at 21:51

Ricky - thats the spirit. Frustrating but inevitable. At least you canb run anotehr pretty close and there is loads of time to your marathon so you'll be good.

Have decided that I am now cautiously optimistic that I will get out for a run on Sunday. I am feeling a little better today but want to give it at least another 24 hours before I brave the elements.

Rachel - it was always going to be a tough call and only you could make it. You have showed tremendous courage on this journey and you will be back to race another day. We all run because we enjoy running. Marathon training is tough and when it gets serious the enjoyment is not the same as it sort of takes over your life. Being able to go running whenever you want to is a good feeling. There are a great bunch across the two threads that most of us are following here and it would be great if we carry it on past this spring marathon so we can keep encouraging each other.

22/03/2013 at 22:12

Carl - glad to hear you finally seem to be on the mend... take it easy on Sunday if you do run!

Rachel - tough call, but ultimately the right one for you I think. As Carl says there are always more races and a continuation of this or a new thread after the Spring Marathons to follow our journeys towards new goals would be cool.

I've just entered Omagh HM next Saturday

23/03/2013 at 00:08
Rachel - I'm gutted for you mate. I'm sure you thought long and hard about it and I can only imagine it must have been a tough decision for you. There are plenty of other marathons out there and I hope you will be in a position to enter one sooner rather than later.

On the other hand I think you are taking extreme measures to avoid having to buy me a beer. !!!

Seriously though, you are right when you say the most important thing is that you are enjoying yourself when you are running. I hope you get to where you want to be as soon as possible.

Take care
23/03/2013 at 09:19

oooo...such lovely comments from you all!! 

I do hope the thread (or another) continues past spring as others have suggested and trust me Carter I am gutted to not have the chance to beat you!! It sooo frustrating, I KNOW I can do sub 4, I just know it. This time next year my hair should be well on the way back to normal and I can put the hours in again. On reflection, I've been really fortunate, it hasn't worsened beyond 2 patches at the back of my head, easily covered by my pony tail and, as I've said there are signs (though slow!) of regrowth. Until I know I'm out of the woods for sure, I think this is the right call.

Carl, I hope you get ou for your run on Sunday, you have the potential to do amazingly in Paris!

Ricky and Will, I am following your journies with interest too!

Oh and Carter, your time in Manchester will just give me something to aim for next year!! Haha!

Edited: 23/03/2013 at 09:20
23/03/2013 at 14:16
Did 18 mls this morn @ 9.11 pace.

Had intended to do 22 but the weather was rough with high winds & snow flurries. That combined with being not properly fuelled (spur of the moment decision to run/only a light breakfast) made it a tough session.

Felt tougher than last weeks 22 but character building nonetheless!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/03/2013 at 18:36

Tough call Rachel but obviously the right one.  There'll be other races, once you're sorted.  I can only echo what others have said, if you're not enjoying it then it's time to lay off for a while. 

That's good going in the conditions Ricky, not great out today.

24/03/2013 at 14:21
20 miles this morning 2hr 58 god the wind was awful and every time I tried another route it was just the same - character building !!
First time I have completed two 20 mile runs as part of my training
24/03/2013 at 16:40

Well done Ds, great running in these conditions!!

24/03/2013 at 18:47
Good job Dd - running in that wind is really tough ... I had enough of it after 18 yesterday so well done on ur 20!
24/03/2013 at 19:18
Hello all from benevolent Cornwall on holiday! Cold here but no snow and wind ok!

Dd, well done indeed. Must have been same pace as me? I got out and did 20 miles in 2'57 today which was 8'52 pace. Started a bit slower to try and mimic VLM a bit and then caught up from miles 3-5. Struggled to hold the pace on the last 2 miles but overall pretty happy with today's run. Last 20 miler before London for me - woohoo!!! Not sure I would have kept the pace in high winds though so very good effort from you.

Rwtw, sorry to hear that but good you re keeping positive. Chin up and hope you get the injury sorted soon.

Carl, how are you feeling now? Hope the illness is easing? As others have said you've already done all the hard work so I wouldn't be too worried at this stage..

Rachel, am gutted for you. Must have been a really difficult decision to take but clearly the right one. Hope you can enjoy your running and set some new targets soon.

Ricky, how annoying is that. But great that you have found another race to switch in. Good solid 18 miler in what must have been pretty grim conditions?

So I've done four 20 milers and am almost into tapering! Eek. Sod's law this weather will do a total about turn and it will be 25c on VLM day ;o) keep layering up people!
24/03/2013 at 21:14

Great running today Will - nearly at the taper already eh... wow where does the time go?! Sounds like you are missing all the bad weather that the rest of us further north are enduring. Enjoy the rest of ur break.

I'mm just gonna do my 4 midweek sessions (2 speed, 2 mlrs) as normal this week, although a day earlier as I did my LSR yesterday instead of today, which will allow me to rest on friday & then my HM on Saturday.

Carl - incredibly frustrating. Sounds like one of those bugs which will just miraculously clear when you wake up one of these mornings - hang in there!

24/03/2013 at 22:13
Thanks Ricky! I know, race day is virtually upon me!

Good luck for the HM on Saturday, will be checking in, hope the weather clears up a bit...
Cheerful Dave    pirate
25/03/2013 at 08:01

Sounds like you're ready Will, that's a good set of long runs.  Good job starting slow yesterday.  At London it can be tempting to try & get back 'lost' time at mile 3, which is downhill, but you've got all race to do it and there's no rush!

Dd, nice 20 miler.  Doing two this time round rather than one will be a big plus on race day.  That's a good time too, same as Will just about.

Have a good HM at Omagh Ricky.

Schoolboy error from me yesterday - I managed to schedule a long run in the way I often do: running home from a family shopping trip.  Made the mistake of starting too soon after lunch, so I was on the verge of chucking most of the way round.  Decent enough first 14 though given that, then the uphill started and I slowed right down.  Not the most enjoyable run ever.

25/03/2013 at 21:37

Dave - you got it done though & that's the primary objective. 30 mins after a meal seems to the as soon as I can run comfortably.. If I try to go out any sooner I get a similar feeling you had yesterday.

I had a good treadmill tempo session tonight and actually quite enjoyed it (strange, I know).

Ran 6 miles in 47:25 - first mile w/u 9.30 pace and final five @ 7.35 pace.

Once I had cooled down I felt quite refreshed & energised - usually a speed session on the treadmill has me on my knees afterwards!

Notice it doesn't bother my niggly knee either - knee actually felt completely niggle free after the session. Road definitely is harder on it.

26/03/2013 at 09:01
Still not much improvement from me. Going back to the quack again today as yesterday was pretty bad. My OH wants me to pull out of Paris. I have not completely given up hope of doing it but as every day goes by I do wonder what impact this enforced layoff is having.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.