RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,001 to 1,020 of 1,200 messages
21/04/2013 at 13:29

Dave is finished. Fantastic time from him. I will never ever ever get anywhere close to that.

21/04/2013 at 13:31

Forgot to add that he finished in 2;37. legend from where I am sitting.

21/04/2013 at 13:32

Come on Will. You can do it. Must be getting warm out there now and the legs will be hurting but keep focussed. Will is through 35k and has slowed a little over the last 5k. Go Will Go.

21/04/2013 at 15:11

Thanks for the updates Carl! I too have long since given up trying to get on Runner's World on my phone!!!

Dave- aMAZing time!!!!! Wow, wow, wow!!! 

Can't wait to hear how Will does!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/04/2013 at 18:28

Thanks all - very happy with that, 1:18:18 and 1:19:18 for each half which I'd have taken from the start, especially since I was nursing cramping calves for the last 10k. 

I see Will slowed towards the end, it was feeling warm in the sun by then.  Hope he's OK.

21/04/2013 at 19:51

Does anyone know Will's time?

Dave, how are you feeling now? Elated? 

21/04/2013 at 20:59

That's a cracking run Dave, well done. Is that a new PB for you ? 

21/04/2013 at 20:59

That's a cracking run Dave, well done. Is that a new PB for you ? 

21/04/2013 at 22:15

Dave - fantastic run from you today. I guessed you would be fast and thought you might be a sub 2:45 runner but 2:37 is just fantastic. It was getting warm out there as the morning progressed. But to get that time with cramping calves is amazing. Well done you.

Will - great run from you today. We are all proud of you.

21/04/2013 at 22:46
Hey guys!

Dave, awesome running well done!

I hit home in 4'06 which all things considered I'm really happy with. It's not sub 4 but it felt brilliant none the less. And I think I learnt a lot especially about fuelling...

My report goes something like (without benefit of downloading GPS);

-miles 1-7 roughly around 8'50 pace. Felt good but even then was concerned at how hot it felt.
-mile 7 mild cramp, stop and stretch. Revised electrolyte tab strategy mentally over the coming miles. I started off with one in a bottle for first hour and had 2 more tabs with me with aim of 1 each for hours 2 and 3. Changed that and did both tabs in hour 2 in the 330 ml water bottles. I think this ultimately worked as managed to run the cramp off but this still took from about mile 7 to 16. But then meant I had no electrolyte tabs left! This had a knock on with me later drinking lucozade sport which combined with gels gave me a slightly ba tum at which point I stopped fuelling at a big cost!
-miles 8-22. Mostly between 8'50 ish to 9'10 with a couple of 8'35 miles thrown in. Quite frustrating as couldn't get into a rhythm to just keep going at a good pace without major weaving. Very congested at all times. Was sort of relying on this period (or at least till 20 miles) to knock out a a good amount of 8'35 miles and leave something in hand for the last 6 miles for a decent shot at sub 4.. Due to lucozade sport and tum issues stopped fuelling around 18-20 miles.
-mile 22, hit the wall. Walk run walk run for around a mile. Started munching gels again regardless of tum. Got a second wind at the end of mile 22.
-mile 23-24, not sure but around 9'25.
-mile 25, and I have to seriously check GPS on this one, 7'57. Don't ask how, but I did feel really good! Adrenaline?! Or dodgy gps...?!
-mile 26, around 10 min mile...

What an amazing experience. The support is and atmosphere at incredible.

Thank you all so much for your support and wisdom. It's been amazing....phew.. Can't believe it's over!
21/04/2013 at 22:50

Amazing report Will! Well done!! It sounds like a fantastic experience!!!

What's next now the marathon is over? A break? Or are you planning your next race already?

21/04/2013 at 23:00

Will - you might not have got sub 4 this time but you did amazing.

26.2 miles is an incredibly long way and it is not everytime that things come together for the perfect race. London is not as easy as people suggest as there are alot of runners and it is crowded (as paris was). This is not what you experience in training. It was much hotter out there today than the last 3 /4 months. Again difficult to train for. And fuelling is an issue when running longer than 3:30 I reckon. I am not a big fan of gels and so many people talk about getting an upset stomach on race day. Again this is different from LSR's where you do not take 3 or 4 gels.

But everytime you run one of these things you learn a little more and you inevitably will do better the next time as you know what to expect.

You did fantastic. Take the week off. You deserve a little rest.

21/04/2013 at 23:23
Thanks Rachel! Think I might take a breather for 2 or 3 wks and then I've got a mind to try and break 45 mins for 10k.. Have booked a race in oct but that's a while off so will see if I can find another in August perhaps. How about you?

Thanks Carl, very kind of you and wise words indeed. What's next for you mate?
21/04/2013 at 23:55

Great race Will - not without it's dramas which you worked around brilliantly to bring it home in a great time!
Congrats - you must be on such a high

No such heroics from me today - ran 46.20 in my first ever 10k... a PB's a PB though!

22/04/2013 at 00:27
I am Ricky!

Great 10k time there, was that 7'20 pace? Excellent
Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/04/2013 at 05:23
Good one Will, glad you enjoyed it even if it wasn't quite the time you were after. Lesson learned: gels or lucozade, never both! Although it is so easy to get into your head that you need something, anything, and it's only afterwards that your stomach tells you it was a bad idea. You probably did the right thing recognising your cramps early, if you'd stuck to the original plan you might have walked a lot further. Adapt and survive...

Rachel, yes, I'm very happy with that. Not a PB, I've run 2:35 a few times but it was quicker than last year and I'm not getting any younger!

That's a very decent 10k Ricky, you've got to be pleased with that?
22/04/2013 at 05:29
Will - great running from you yesterday. Sounds like it was tough for you at times but you battled through it. Very well done.

Ricky - that's a decent time for your first 10k. Now you have a PB to try and break in your next race
22/04/2013 at 17:58

Hello!! Just been catching up on everyones times and running; all so amazing! Very inspiring!! I have not been on this thread for ages, but Rachel suggested I come on to ask advice..so any advice would be appreciated! Im due to run the Manchester Marathon on sunday...but last week I had to go to the doctors and have my foot x-rayed and it came up with a stress fracture, was so gutted! But by saturday, most of the swelling had gone down, I could move all of my toes which i hadnt been able to do and it wasnt painful so I actually went for a little run and was completely painfree! So today at fracture clinic I told the doctor this, he prodded the bump above where the fracture should be and as I am completely without pain..said that as long as that remains the same I can run!! Wooo!! So am back on for it!! But I dont know what to do this week..in the past week all Ive ran is 10 miles and 3 miles. So part of my brain wants to get in some extra miles but dont think thats wise? Would just appreciate any advice on what to do!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/04/2013 at 18:42
No, it's not wise at all. At this stage it's too late to make up for any lost miles, and you're likely to damage your foot again trying to do a long run for no gain. Your best bet is do a couple of nice easy short runs, mainly to prove that your foot is really OK for Sunday. But nothing more than that, because while you're resting, your foot is healing more and you'll be more likely to get through 26.2 miles without pain.

Don't do your shoes up too tight, your feet will swell slightly during the race and tight laces won't do an old stress fracture any good at all. Elastic laces like triathletes use might be good, they obviously have more give in them than ordinary laces.

Watch yourself at the start, it's dead easy for someone to stand on your foot and that could finish your race really quickly.

Apart from that, try & enjoy it!
22/04/2013 at 19:50

Thank you! Will look into elastic laces! 

1,001 to 1,020 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.