RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,081 to 1,100 of 1,201 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/05/2013 at 12:38

1:16;19, so just a few seconds slower than Wokingham which I'll take, 2 weeks post London.  With the added bonus of a county half marathon championship (old men's division).

Good to see you on the comeback trail Rachel.  Once you've got the all clear from the dermy we'll have to find a relay race for you and carter to enter together.

05/05/2013 at 14:49

super human performance again Dave - well done!

well no PB for me - close but no cigar. Ran 3:47 .. 5 min positive split and blew up a little in last 6 miles. windy but very warm which was a bigger factor for me - the last 6 miles had me walking several times pouring bottles of water over my head!

stil quite pleased and my 5 year old little girl finished with me hand in hand which was a bit special and a bit emotional tbh!

will be back later with a more detailed post mortem!

05/05/2013 at 15:01

Well done Ricky! A time to be proud of!! And lovely that your daughter crossed the line with you!! That mught be a photo worth coughing up for- did you remember to smile?

Dave, your times are, quite frankly amazing. Do you think speed is genetic, or have you earned this through blood, sweat and tears?

05/05/2013 at 15:17

Fantastic effort from you Dave yet again especially so close after London. How do you churn out such good times so consistently ? I am guessing that you are a natural runer wheras I do not think I am. Well done again.

Rachel - great to see you out running regularly and getting the distance up again. Hopefully it will not ne long now belfore you are back on the hunt for a PB.

Ricky - great run from you. Maybe not the PB you were looking for but it must have been special to cross the line with the wee one.

8.5 miles from me today to follow my 6 miles from yesterday. I even managed 2 miles at close to race pace as well which was good.

Edited: 05/05/2013 at 15:18
05/05/2013 at 15:52

Good stuff Carl! You seem to have left the nsaty virus long behind you now? ARe you back to full health?

05/05/2013 at 16:19

Cracking run Dave, pretty damned good so soon after London. 

1.85 miles for me in lovely weather and no knee pain either. I've also started landing on my mid foot rather than heel so hopefully that will help too. Previously I was getting the knee pain between 2 and 2.5 miles so on my next couple of runs I will have a better idea of how things are

05/05/2013 at 19:24

Great news Carter! 

In a fit of enthusiasm I did another 4 miles today

The first mile was with my 11 yesr old daughter who stormed it in 9mins 11 secs. I think she has real potential if she would get out an run consistently. Unfortunately she much prefers One Directions to running at the moment!! But she asked to go today so that's great!

05/05/2013 at 20:57

Some of u may have read this on Carters thread but if not here's my race report!

Ok - I've been busy swimming with the kids and refuelling at the Italian and of course rehydrating with some fine Castello premium lager.

so as I stood on the startline this morning with the sun warming our backs I thought ... I'm gonna need suncream .... I now am sporting a very attractive vest tan!

I soon got into my stride and settled into my 8.30 pace as planned. The heat was apparent after only a couple of miles when the sweat started running down my face. Route was fairly flat for first 8 miles and left the city along canal banks and outside across the river Shannon through the university area.

feelin good at this point and lifted the pace a little to. 8.20ish and was through halfway at 1:50.14

pleased with this and thoughts of sub 3.40 entered my head. The route then headed into the country and was into a stiff headwind until 17 miles when it turned. This section also had a long 2ml uphill drag which combined with wind and little crowd support started to feel tough.

from 17 miles the wind was on our back and I knocked out a couple sub 8.30 miles.

At mile 20 we were back in the city centre and I was starting to suffer. by mile 22 my pace was dropping off and I walked several times pouring water over my head during those last 4 miles. The low point was at mile 23 when the 3.45 pacers passed me. I attempted to hold on but had to let them go after about half a mile with them.

I then got a bit disillusioned and thought sub 3:50 wasn't even going to happen. However I had a stern talk to myself and got a decent pace going for the last mile and a half. 

Great finish to a wall of noise down o'connell st and then a lovely surprise about 10 yds from the finish when I heard a shout 'daddy Wait!' - I looked round and my 5yr old was sprinting after me. We crossed the line hand in hand.... very emotional and I was in bits if I am honest!

official chip time 3:47.28..... here are the splits - u will see the last 5 miles did the damage to my PB hopes. At 21 miles it was still on but I had nowt left! 

What have I learned ? - never underestimate the heat!

8.30; 8.24; 8:20; 8:37; 8.28; 8.27; 8:33; 8:29; 8:17; 8:23; 8:12; 8:28; 8:32

8:26, 8.25; 8:43; 8:45; 8:26; 8:29; 9:06; 8:41; 9:24; 9:08; 9:25; 10:00; 9:08 last 0.2 @ 7.39 pace.

05/05/2013 at 23:19

Rachel - no I didn't think about the finish line photo such was my surprise to see my little girl... So gawd knows what we look like! Even forgot to stop my garmin for a few seconds! Sounds like your 11 year as some natural running ability - wonder who she takes that after?!

Carl - your dead right... that moment crossing the line with her beat the elation of a PB hands down! Good times.

Edited: 05/05/2013 at 23:21
06/05/2013 at 09:23

Ooo..felt all emational myself reading that report Ricky...Very well done, a great account of the day! So what's next for you?

06/05/2013 at 09:27

i have my rescheduled HM on 8th June which will prob be next. sub 1:40 is the goal!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
07/05/2013 at 09:04

Ricky, that's a great result.  Easy to get disillusioned when you think a target is missed but you stuck to it very well.  A 7 minute positive split is OK - a look down the results of any marathon and most will be more than that, especially on a warm day.  I think that half in June is going to be a quick one!

Rachel, re speed & genetics - there must be a fair part of that, as there are plenty of 5 hour runners who put in as much effort (in terms of time, if not distance) as some sub 3 runners.  It's a mix though, if you look at the sub 3 thread there are some on there who started at 4 hours and have worked their way down, others knock out 2:59 first go.  Some do both: Marigold started around the 3:30 mark, trained very hard, lost a lot of weight and is now the world 50km champion with a 2:18 marathon pb.  No amount of training would get me to that level.

Generally though, you get out what you put in, even if it's relative.  We're all capable of times that when we started we thought would be beyond us, whether that be 3, 4 or 5 hours. 

07/05/2013 at 18:58

Ooo..not much time for rest then Ricky!

Dave, if you are right, the hopefully I can get my times down a bit yet, before age gets the better of me!! Last week saw 4 runs for me and 20 miles total. A far cry from the 40-45 at the peak of marathon training, but way better than the 8-12 I've managed till recently. I got out again this morning and did a 4 miler, I think I'm finally getting back into a proper routine! 

07/05/2013 at 20:17

Rachel - age has already got the better of you.......

Cheerful Dave    pirate
07/05/2013 at 20:35

Don't worry about age Rachel.  I think a VLM good for age qualifying time would be a realistic goal in the longer term, not that I'm suggesting you set any goals just yet, of course!

08/05/2013 at 06:55

Carter :P

Dave, that's sounds like a great goal!!!

09/05/2013 at 21:20

Back at it this evening... an easy 3 miler. Legs felt good but a little bit of groin strain from Sunday still nagging a bit.

09/05/2013 at 21:32

Rachel - I've decided I'm running Chester in October, are you up for it ?

09/05/2013 at 22:05

Carter, I am seriously tempted!! Not sure I can make that call jsut yet...but I wonder how I'll be feeling come the beginning of June?  

Managed to get out before work again this morning, so am definitely back into the old routine. 

09/05/2013 at 22:16

At least you are still clocking up some miles so thats good

1,081 to 1,100 of 1,201 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.