RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,101 to 1,120 of 1,200 messages
11/05/2013 at 09:11

Looks like you're doing brillaintly Carl! What did you say your goal for 10k was again?

11/05/2013 at 10:52

Been catching up on everything as been so hectic recently. Well done on the races! Great to see so much determination.

I've been working up in Edinburgh during the week and back down to London at weekends - so very hectic! Can't wait to be properly running again as Edinburgh will mean some serious hill training! So far can only do about 10 mins at a time on the treadmill...so just taking it very very slowly. Decided against pushing to do the late June marathon, and going to build it back really slowly and hope to do one in Autumn. Anyone know of any fastish Autumn marathons close to London??

11/05/2013 at 10:54

Rachel - my PB is 49:46 which I got in the same 10k race last year as I am running the end of May. I did not train for it just turned up and ran it. Have not a 10k since. I am going to start with trying to get sub 45. Theoretically I should be able to do this but its sortof like getting sub 4 in the marathon. So I think I will aim for this.

11/05/2013 at 11:53

Great Carl, I look forward to hearing about you smashing that goal!! I must admit, I'm toying with the idea of a 10k myself, to build up my race distance again. I ran the Manchester 10K in 48:04 last year and 47:57 the year before, but I know I am no where near that speed at the moment. Maybe Dave could suggest some get your 10k time down on 3 or 4 runs a week plans to me?? I am currently doing 4 miles twice during the week before work, then alternating between 6 and 8 miles on a Saturday and hopefully getting out again on the Sunday for 3 or 4 miles. At the moment I'm just running at any old speed, but could certainly start thinking more strategically again I think....

11/05/2013 at 13:46

Just catching up guys after having been away in France. Ricky, from where I'm standing that's a great time, well done! The heat has a massive impact Don't forget that...

11/05/2013 at 21:51

Hi all - managed a couple of five milers though I have a tight hamstring and calf,planned 10k this Thursday in Helensburgh should be an interesting time after so much time off

11/05/2013 at 22:08

Well for some Will! No running "en france"? ....... yes it was 17 deg during the last couple of hours of my race - not especially hot but prob 10-15 deg hotter than any of my long training runs! I felt  underperformed a little as I felt I had a sub 3:40 in me but still happy with the 3:47..... especially when my goal back in Jan was sub 4.

Really looking forward to the next one now (Dublin end Oct) and looking forward to the training already!

Hi Dd - you are probably tight because of the time off running.... get stretching! Just run the 10k on feel... you might be pleasantly surprised!

11/05/2013 at 22:34

Ricky I think if you were chucking water over your head then that tells its own story right? I ran through every shower (yes they had cold showers along the way - amazing) at London!

no running yet! I read somewhere you should take 4 weeks off after your first marathon...? I've done 3 wks now and am itching to get out. Think I will run 3.5m in to work Thursday to start going again.. 

Thinking about doing the clapham 10k in July next...

12/05/2013 at 09:06

I suppose it does Will - funny enough never had the urge for a 'watering' during LSRs .... I wonder why ha ha! Showers would have been great at Limerick -  closest we had to that was a dip in the River Shannon - ran over it 4 times during the race!

Yes - I think it there is a school of thought somewhere that says you should rest a day for every mile raced ... So 26 rest days after a marathon is roughly 4 weeks I suppose. I would tend to judge on feel/listening to your body etc and tend to think a week is sufficient. Hope to be back in the saddle tomorrow.

U have a good few weeks to get sharpened up for Clapham Will.... Are you targetting a PB or anything?

12/05/2013 at 09:48

Hi Ricky I am also looking at Dublin but 90 plus euros seems bit steep may head back to Chester agin , I need to decide it will almost be time to start those plans again!

12/05/2013 at 12:13

Dd - The Irish marathons do tend to be pricey -I think Limerick was 70euros.

If you enter Dublin before end of July it is 75 euro:

before 17:00 I.S.T. August 1st 75 Euros   before 17:00 I.S.T. September 1st 85 Euros before 17:00 I.S.T. October 1st 95 Euros
12/05/2013 at 17:55

Another run with my daughter, who dragged me out in the torrential rain, claiming I was uncommitted if I didn't go!!!! A PB for her again- 1 mile in 9:06. I think we'll make sub 9 next week! 

12/05/2013 at 21:32

Go Rachel's daughter!

Who needs a coach with a daughter like that to motivate you to get out the door!?

14/05/2013 at 23:18

Took one look at the weather tonight and crept back indoors. Not a night for running.

15/05/2013 at 16:41

It's foul out there! I have managed to dodge the rain so far this week, and I think it's due to be dry in the morning....

16/05/2013 at 07:23

4 miles @ 8:12 min mile this morning. Have been taking iron supplements for a week, and wonder if they're helping. Fastest pace for 2 months! Carl, have you ade it out yet?

16/05/2013 at 07:48

Well done Rachel, still ticking over nicely

16/05/2013 at 18:41

Thanks Carter. Just looking at a couple of (low key) 10k's in Manchester over the summer....I wonder....

How's your mileage going?

16/05/2013 at 19:10

Dave, lots of people seem to have a 10k in mind in coming weeks. What do you suggest re: longest run distance/ intervals/ easy runs etc? Personally I'd love to get close to 45 mins, though by this summer may be optimistic....I'm just not sure where to start. My previous 10k training has consisted of getting out 3 times a week and running as fast as possible. But my PB was with a long run of 6 miles each week and I've read that there's benefit in going beyond the 10k distance??

16/05/2013 at 22:16

Rachel - good running from you. Looks like you are back in the groove.

Went out for a tempo run last night. Ended badly. Was on mile 4 of my pace miles with the first 3 being sub 7 min milling, when I had an altercation with a cyclist who appeared on the footpath in front of me completely unexpectadly. In taking evasive action, I slipped on the kerb and fell awkwardly ending up flat in the road. It looks like I have twisted my right ankle although it is the ankle bone that is quite tender, also twisted my right knee and have jarred my lower back in addition to some cuts and scrapes. Have been miserable today. And the idiot on the bike did not stop. not sure what this does to my plans for Bupa 10k on Monday week. Hoping that everything settles down in tyhe next few days and that I will be able to get a few miles in next week. If so I will run the 10k but not race it. Really annoyed about this as I ahd been feeling really good last night and thought I might be peaking at about teh right time. Now I am just miserable. Not happy at all. In fact very cross.

1,101 to 1,120 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.