RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,121 to 1,140 of 1,200 messages
16/05/2013 at 23:02

Unlucky Carl some people !!

Rachel good running guessing loads of good 10k,s in and around MCR

Helensburgh 10k tonight for me PB 45.34 though Garmin showed  6.3 miles so reckon I can get under the magic 45 soon

I have booked a 10k every week for the next four weeks to keep the training up Scotland has a good road racing calender which makes up for the rubbish winters so Helensburgh tonight then Clydebank - Ayr - Vale of Leith

17/05/2013 at 00:50

Rachel - I'm up to 7.5 miles at the moment. The pain in my knee us kicking in about 5-5.5 miles but not so bad that I have to stop. I was hoping for it to clear up quicker than it is but at least I'm heading in the right direction. 

I think you should go for some 10k races, definitely. How did you get in at the docs ?

17/05/2013 at 16:09

Carl, what a nightmare!! And the fact that the cyclist didn't sop is just outrageous! Hope you get better very soon!!!

Dd, I loom forward to hearing of you getting under 45 mins, sounds like it's more than possible!!

CArter, good to hear you're getting the miles in, are you just pushing through the pain at 5 miles? Or is it improving each time??

I got on fine at derm. I had setroid injections in the back of my scalp (approx 15-20!) to try and speed up the rate the hai grows back. I'm also taking more iron and other than that just trying to get my running back on track regardless. I've had this horrible condition for almost 6 months now, and nothing drastic has happened despite me still running, so it's time to get some PB's sorted. I think a 10k first is my plan, but wonder how I ever ran at a 7 something minute mile last year. Some work required!!

17/05/2013 at 22:47

Dd - congrats on the PB... that's a great 10k time. I'm sure sub 45 is just around the corner!

Carl - another fine mess! Gutting mate - hopefully nothing to serious.

Good news at the doc's Rachel - I agree that the running doesn't seem to be having any detrimental effects on your condition. If it was me I would throw caution to the wind and get stuck into those PB's! Great time to be upping your training in the better weather & brighter evenings!

18/05/2013 at 21:30

Dd - great 10k from you and a PB as well. As you say a sub 45 is just around the corner.

Really impressed that you are doing a 10k every week.

18/05/2013 at 21:35

Rachel - as you say it was outrageous but have got over it now. Nothing I could do so no point fretting. I have been stretching my ankle today. It is still tender but am hopeful that I will be out running again in a few days. Not rushing it as with me racing Dave   on Monday week, I need it to be fully recovered. Hopefully this will not have too big an impact on my race pace.

Good to see you thinking of 10k's. There is nothing like a race to focus the training and they are a good way to get the pace back. You will be doing 7something min miles again soon. You will be surprised how once your mind is in the zone, the legs find the pace.

18/05/2013 at 21:37

Ricky - bloody annoying. Have never had somebody cut across me like that before. I think I might have got away with it. Hopefully I will be back out in a few days and I am pretty sure I will be on the start line on Monday week.

22/05/2013 at 23:52

All a bit quiet on here at the moment. Anyone doing any running ?

I went out tonight for an easy run to see how the ankle would hold up after last weeks incident with a loon !!

Felt the ankle alot during the first mile or two. But kicked through it and completed 5 miles in total.

Ankle was quite stiff afterwards but been spraying it and icing it to trya nd help. Hopefully it will have eased off by the morning and I will aim to repeat the run on Friday evening. Then it is roll on Monday.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/05/2013 at 06:45

I'm running!  And cycling - did a 100 mile sportif last weekend, which was great.  My Bupa 10k pack arrived yesterday, so ready for Monday.  I haven't raced 10k for ages, it'll be interesting (and hurt a lot!).

23/05/2013 at 07:30

Carl,great that you got out and the ankle held up, despite being "aware" of it!

Dave- I look forward to hearing your amazing 10k time! Is this the race you are doing too Carl?

4 miles for me this morning

HAlf term next week, so I'll have time to look into entering a race! Woohoo!

23/05/2013 at 07:44

Dave - what is your PB for the 10k and will you be looking to beat that on Monday ?

Rachel - what length of race where you thinking of entering ?

I'm slowly on the comeback trail and am up to 9 miles now with only a bit of knee pain. Tonight, I'm going to attempt a few MP miles and see how it feels

Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/05/2013 at 08:37

Carter, my 10k pb is 34:40 but that was nearly 10 years ago.  If I get 35:XX I'll be happy.  Good to see you getting bigger miles in.

Rachel, are you going to start back with some shorter races or go straight for the marathon jugular?

23/05/2013 at 21:17

Rachel - yes Dave and I are taking part in the same race and may even be in the same starting pen. And that is where the similarity ends. He is going for 35:XX and I am looking for 45:XX - 48:XX if the ankle holds up. Anything sub 40 is a PB and I will probably settle for that. I also have a 10k booked for the following Sunday, 2nd June. Must be mad.

Edited: 23/05/2013 at 21:18
23/05/2013 at 21:38

Oooo a bit of competition Carl, just what you need to encourage you to smash your PB!!

I am definitely enetering a race in early September (a 10K) Several other teachers from school sre enetering too, but I may do another 10l before then. I am EXCITED!!!

I can then start to build up from there

My daughter is running in the children's great run in Machester on Monday Looking forward to that too!

26/05/2013 at 23:04

Best of luck for tomorrow Dave. Not that you will need it. Make sure you wave when you speed past Mo Farah at the start

Cheerful Dave    pirate
27/05/2013 at 17:26

Well, the 35:XX ended up being 35:11, after a 17:31 first half.  Very, very happy with that.  I started a bit back from the front which meant a bit of weaving early on but once I was through that it gave me lots of people to chase who run around the same as me but started further up.  I didn't manage to start my watch so pacing was completely blind, but apart from that it went pretty well.

How did Rachel junior get on?

27/05/2013 at 19:21

Well done Dave! That's an amazing time!!! I've just posted on Carter's thread asking how you got on, note to self, check which thread you are posting on Doh!! I am amazed that you can sustain that sort of pace....wow....

Daughter's run today was fab! Only 2.5 km which she did in 12 min 45. She has vowed to train properly for next year! I think she would have real potential if she were to really commit herself!

I managed to get out for a 4 mile pootle myself this morning, but definitely need to enter the planned 10k, as I'm in need of sme motivation and a goal! I can't bear the thought of getting a time slower than 50 minutes, so it will definitely help me up the efforts!

27/05/2013 at 22:14

Dave - fantastic result considering you did not start from the front where you clearly deserve to be.  You are a legend indeed.

I ran today despite the ankle niggles and the fact that I had not run that much in the last few weeks. Finished in 46:56 which was 3 minutes off my previous PB, set at this race last year. It was not easy but I am pleased with that. Have got a few other 10k's planned over the summer and aim to get sub 45.

Rachel - sounds like your daughter might be some real competition for you. So when is the 'planned' 10k that you have yet to enter. Nothing like entering to focus the mind I say.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
28/05/2013 at 14:29

I deliberately started a bit further back Carl, it gave me people to chase and kept the early pace within limits.  Despite a bit of early weaving I think it was the way to go.  It helped that the early part along the Mall is nice and wide so there's plenty of room.  Nice result for you there, every pb counts and clearly there's more to come.

Rachel, take your daughter along to parkrun, if she gets the running bug there she'll be chasing you down before you know it.

29/05/2013 at 09:37

Dave, I'd love to take her to parkrun, but I am a "brass band mum" - all 5 of our children play in a brass band which practises on a Sturday am, but she has vowed to run at least every Sunday for now. We'll see hw long that lasts!!

4 miles this morning 8:16 min mile. Pushed the pace again this morning, but need to do more than just go out and run as fast as I can if I hope to get ny 10k pace back up. I'd love to do  45 min 10k at some point, but don't know if I'm being unrealistic? I think I'm along way from my 48:04 that I ran last May....

Carl, you just keep churning out the PB's- amazing!

1,121 to 1,140 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.