RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,141 to 1,160 of 1,201 messages
29/05/2013 at 09:37

Dave, I'd love to take her to parkrun, but I am a "brass band mum" - all 5 of our children play in a brass band which practises on a Sturday am, but she has vowed to run at least every Sunday for now. We'll see hw long that lasts!!

4 miles this morning 8:16 min mile. Pushed the pace again this morning, but need to do more than just go out and run as fast as I can if I hope to get ny 10k pace back up. I'd love to do  45 min 10k at some point, but don't know if I'm being unrealistic? I think I'm along way from my 48:04 that I ran last May....

Carl, you just keep churning out the PB's- amazing!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/05/2013 at 10:28

It's not aan unrealistic target, but it may not happen first time out.  Now that you're running regularly again you could probably start varying things a bit: some short, quick intervals, fast tempo runs, and some longer more steady runs.  'Long' doesn't mean 20 mile marathon training runs, more like 8 to 10 miles maximum: that way a 10k race won't seem like a long way, it's good base mileage and stepping up to a half in due course would be fairly straightforward.  For 10k training intervals might be 400m, or one or two minutes, with an equivalent rest. 

Don't worry too much about what pace you're running right now - intervals should be short, quick efforts, tempo should feel hard but sustainable for a few miles, longer runs should be easier pace: keep it varied and you'll find pace comes back naturally. 

29/05/2013 at 17:55

Dave - how many speed sessions would you suggest a week if training for a 10k, assuming they were running 5 times a week at the moment ?

Rachel - you are making good progress, although your daughter seenms to be doing better than you Have you managed to sign up for a race yet ? 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/05/2013 at 20:15

Carter, one would be fine, two would be OK but better would be one speed intervals and one hill reps.  One tempo run, a longer easier paced run and that leaves one to chose whatever you want to.  

29/05/2013 at 23:09

Dave - having knocked 3 mins off my previous 10k PB with far from perfect training, how many weeks would you suggest is the optimum period for me to knock another 2+ minutes off this to get sub 45. Clearly this is not an easy question to answer. I have a 10k on Sunday which I think is relatively flat but I will not get much training in this week. My next 10k is on 23rd June and then the next one is 7th July. The 23rd June one is undulating with a 1km climb in eacjh of 3 laps. The 7th July one is on the same course as this Sunday's race.

Rachel - book onto a couple of 10k races. This is a big step but will give you the focus to vary up the training and go for it. As Dave says sub 45 mins is not an unrealistiuc target. But you need to run one to guage where you are and then you will know what you need to do training wise to get the time down.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
30/05/2013 at 06:05

Carl, hard to say really.  Just racing the distance regularly will bring times down, it's unlikely that the first one of the season will be the quickest as you get used to the distance and judging your pace through it.  I did find on Monday that racing at 10k pace felt a bit strange having not done it for a while, and if I did another this summer I wouldn't have that "can I really keep this up for another 4 miles?" feeling.

It could be that a week basically tapering after Monday will mean that you're actually in perfect shape for another on Sunday - after spring marathon training, running hard for 45 minutes two weeks in a row shouldn't be a problem.  OTOH if you're racing the same course in July then you should be looking to knock some more time off then.  In short, if you're over your little niggles then give it a go in Sunday, with the knowledge that it's not your 'A' race for the summer, that'll come n July.

30/05/2013 at 07:58

Dave, I am reassured that you too have the "can I keep this up for another 4 miles?" feeling, if even just the once in the season!! Today, is race entering day. Watch this space! 

30/05/2013 at 08:36

Salford 10k- 8th September.  Bring it on!

30/05/2013 at 10:10

Get in there Rachel, good stuff. I'm sure you could beat 90 minutes if you train well 

30/05/2013 at 10:18

Oh Ha ha Carter!! Remind me of your 10k PB, I need a target to smash!

30/05/2013 at 10:27

I've never actually raced a 10k but when, if, you finish yours I will have an easy target to aim for !!

30/05/2013 at 13:52

What?! You've never done a 10k??? You'd best get that sorted I need some competition, oh, wait....that's more likely to be Carl!!!

30/05/2013 at 20:35

Good one Rachel - about bl**dy time! 

Lovely run in the sun after work today with a couple of pals. 10k - Pace was 7.55 ... one of the guys is running a marathon on Sunday so this was his easy/recovery run! (his target MP is 6.52 and he just missed out on sub 3 at London by 40 secs in April!) ...almost a tempo run for me! 

31/05/2013 at 12:59

Has anyone ever done an adventure run type race? There's been much talk in the staffroom of us entering one as a department.....

01/06/2013 at 21:04

Hi everyone, lots going on here! Hope you're all well and enjoying running.. 

so I've had my month off and am now switching to 5k and 10k races for the rest of the year... I can only really train twice a week so am doing an easy double on Mondays (3.5m each way to work and back) and intervals one wk, tempo the next on a rotating basis on Thursdays during lunch..

did my first ever park run this morning (finsbury park) and was hoping for sub 22 but came in at 22'58 which I guess is a pb but don't know as I've never raced the distance before. It felt hard but there are 2 steep hills and I'm not really that fit yet I don't think so happy with the time..

goals for the year are sub 45 min 10k and sub 21 min 5k (tad ambitious?!). lined up for clapham 10k end of July and 

01/06/2013 at 21:05

Herts 10k in oct and will do as many park runs as poss, imagine one a month at least.

anyone got races coming up? What's news with you all?

cheers!

will

Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/06/2013 at 21:46

Will, if you run them regularly your time will come down quite a bit, so 21 isn't unrealistic in a few months.

Dorking 10 for me tomorrow, always a good race.

01/06/2013 at 22:34

Good man Will - I have registered & got my parkrun barcode (few months ago) but as yet haven't run one yet! Work gets in the way on Saturday mornings but will go in sweaty & late one of these Saturdays... (I have a parkrun just 10 min walk from my office)

I have Larne HM coming up next Saturday - had targeted it for a PB and sub 100 mins attempt but training has been patchy & little speedwork since Limerick (nursing a groin strain which is only disappearing now)..... so I think sub 100 is a big ask but I am going to go out at 7.30 pace anyway ...if I blow up then I blow up

01/06/2013 at 22:35

Good luck @ Dorking tomorrow Dave

01/06/2013 at 22:35

Regents Park 10k for me in the morning. This will be very different from last Monday as I am not expecting much support and would expect teh field to be made up of mainly club runners.

Will - good to see you are back. As dave says, if you keep runnin them you can only get faster.

1,141 to 1,160 of 1,201 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.