RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,161 to 1,180 of 1,200 messages
02/06/2013 at 18:55

Rachel - finished in 46:29 today which knocked 29s off my PB from Monday. Great outcome as I had not run at all since Monday. Much more consistent splits from me today. Hopefully with some proper training over the next few weeks I can get this sub 45 before the end of the summer.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
02/06/2013 at 19:33

Great stuff Carl, two pbs in a week can't be bad.  You'll be absolutely flying when you repeat that run in July.

My 10 miler was 58:34 this morning, it was looking a bit better than that up to 7.5 miles when I fell off the back of a group on one of the upslopes in the last few miles and I was struggling from there.  I'll take it though.

02/06/2013 at 20:18

Oh. my. word. 58:34 for 10 miles!!! WOW!

Carl, a mighty impressive run from you too, I'm sure you'll get the sub 45 this summer!! 

All very inspiring stuff guys!

02/06/2013 at 21:09

Nice one Dave - rapid stuff!

Well done Carl - you are the PB king of this thread!

12.1 miles @ 8.15pace for me this morning.

02/06/2013 at 22:19

Dave - what an amazing 10 miles. No wonder even you struggled from 7.5 miles. And I am sure your struggling is still faster than me going well on a good day.

It was good to get the measure of the course today. If I can get a few good weeks running in, I will certainly be going for it. It is not pancake flat but the undulations are not that bad. Paths are a little narrow and there are quite a few sharp bends but how difficult is it to knock another 90seconds off a 10k ........

04/06/2013 at 22:08

dave, you are an animal!

carl, well done on the 10k time - very speedy..

ricky, good luck for the half this weekend..

having said I'm training for 5 and 10k ive only now gone and entered the great west run (half m) in October! 

will target a sub 1'40... Anyone done it and know if its a hilly one??

05/06/2013 at 08:16

Will - no I havent run that one. Do you have another marathon planned for this year ?

Dave - that's not a bad 10 miler I suppose 

Rachel - how goes the running for you ?

Day 1 of Chester training for me yesterday. Monday, I ran 4.5 quickish miles at lunchtime and yesterday my plan was for 8 miles with 3 @ LT. I could only manage 6.5 with 2 @ 30 seconds slower than LT. The knee is behaving itself now so, although I didnt hit my training target last night, I am pleased that it seems like I have turned the corenr with the injury. Today, my legs are aching due to 2 runs in 2 days but it is good to have that feeling again after nearly 4 months !

05/06/2013 at 19:54

Hi carter, glad your knee is on the mend. When is Chester marathon?

no more marathons for me this year - the wife would divorce me (2 little ones)!!

so aiming to get quicker and then try for sub 1'40 in the half in oct.

got out at lunch and did 4 miles at 7'30 pace.. Pretty happy with that

05/06/2013 at 21:24

Good news Carter, and about time too! Let's hope you can put the knee troubles behind you!

I did 4 glorious miles in the sunshine at 6:30am yesterday, but even then, it was quite warm, so I didn't do off particularly fast. Planning to go again tomorrow morning, though it's due to be sunny early on again....After that I have an 8 miler planned for Saturday. 

Several other staff members (most of them significantly younger than me are planning to enter the Salford 10k in September. Just what I need- a bit of competition!!

Carter, althoughI kind of envy you starting your marathon training, I also kind of don't, the thought of churning out thoses sorts of miles again is painful! Though, I wonder how I'll feel approaching next spring.....

Will, that's a speedy time you're aiming for in the half. What's your PB?.

05/06/2013 at 22:38

Will - Chester is 6 Oct. Day 2 today has been a total success, it was a rest day !

Rachel - you were enjoying churning out those miles a few months ago, hopefully you will feel inspired again soon to start them up again. Unless of course you find out that the 10k is your event. !

05/06/2013 at 22:49

Carter, cool, so you're at the beginning of your training schedule - good luck..

Rachel - 1'44'55 was my pb at reading this year. So I know sub 1'40 is a really big ask! I'll see if I can get sub 45 on my 10k at end of July and build from there I hope

06/06/2013 at 16:54

Carter, I doubt 10k is my event, deep down I love long distances..but it's funny how we move the bar. 5 years ago I was desperate to run sub 50 10k and said I'be happy then. Two years ago I smashed it in 47:58 but have now moved the goal posts to "sub 45 would be lovey" (though probably unlikely!!

Will, with this thread behind you, nothing is impossible *cue the music* "Reach for the stars....."

08/06/2013 at 09:42

You've got to love this weather, (though I'm glad I'm not racing in it!) Another 8 miles this morning, though it was heating up already... 1 hour 14:27, which is a minute and a half faster than last week's time, which I wsn't trying to beat, cos it's too warm to push the pace. This is another significant step as it's months since I did 2 consecutive   Saturday runs of  8 miles.  Anyone else been out this morning?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/06/2013 at 10:22

Just a parkrun this morning, but I was running with junior.  Might go out for a bit further later.

I went out for a ride yesterday, forecast was for sun all day but I got halfway round when it started chucking it down.  I got soaked, and very cold, and ended up getting a train back.  I'd got the hills in I was out for, so no biggie but not the most fun ride I've done.

Nice run there Rachel, getting faster without even trying.  Can't be bad.  Even though you aborted the marathon you're still seeing some benefit from those extra miles.

Edited: 08/06/2013 at 10:25
08/06/2013 at 11:49

Good running Rachel, maybe you might break 90 minutes for that 10k after all !

Dave, you've had rain ? Whereabouts are you ? It hasn't even rained in Sheffield for a few days !

13.2 hilly miles for me this morning. No knee issues so well chuffed

08/06/2013 at 12:54

Brilliant news on the knee Carter!!! I am now thinking of entering the Offerton 10k on 10th July, it's advertised as a "testing course" and I know it's pretty hilly, but there's a junior 1 mile race which my daughter could do and it's at 7:30 on a Wednesday eve, just down the road from me.....so many reasons to enter really (except that my time wouldn't be great on such a hilly course...)

Can't believe you got wet yesterday Dave, the weather has been amazing here!!

08/06/2013 at 19:09

Dave, parkrun for me as well. Bit quicker than last wk, finished in 22'20 with a sprint finish against a young lady I'd been duelling with for the last 300 yards or so! (Just pipped her but had to lie down for a bit after - nothing to do with the 4 pints Friday night of course!).

carter, great news and 13 hilly miles must be as much of a test as pretty much anything, nice one.

rachel, great work on the 8 mile runs. Must be v heartening.. 

08/06/2013 at 20:05

Will - good park running sir, and a bonus not to be chicked !

Rachel - enter it, you know you want to

09/06/2013 at 00:29

Very decent 5k time Will - well done!

Rachel things are progressing well for you & Carter that's fantastic news re: 13miles with no knee issues!

Ran a very Hot Larne HM today. Tough run for me - out at 7:30 pace for the first 6 miles in a quest for my elusive sub 1:40 but the lack of quality training since Limerick told and I ran a 3 or 4 min positive split digging deep to salvage a hard fought 1:43.59

Enjoyed the swim in the sea immediately after finishing though!

09/06/2013 at 07:58

Well done Ricky! A great time on a VERY hot day, I bet in cooler conditions you'd have made it!

1,161 to 1,180 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.