RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

1,181 to 1,200 of 1,200 messages
09/06/2013 at 20:48

Another run today! (get me!) My daughter finally cracked sub 9 for her mile, smashing it in fact in 8:26. I dropped her off at home, then went back out for another 3, crossing 20 miles for this week. Lovely! 

09/06/2013 at 22:55

Thanks carter and Ricky.

really good running to hang in there on your half Ricky. Must have been pretty Hot out there..

anyone have tips on pacing 5k? Do people just go close to their max pace from the off? Or start a tiny bit slower than your pace for mile 1 and then pick it up?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/06/2013 at 08:59

Will, if you go at your maximum pace from the gun you're going to fade badly, it's a long way to be sprinting!  My local parkrun gets lots of younger runners and that's the classic way they run - they'll be off the front at the start but they can't sustain it for long and we'll catch them within a km or so.  Much better to just keep a lid on it for the first half km or so then get quicker through the race.

It's a tricky one though and it takes a bit of practice to get right because it's completely different to marathon running: in a marathon you want to be running comfortably because you know you can't sustain 'hard' running for 26.2 miles.  In a 5k you need to switch off that 'it hurts so I'll slow down' thought in your head because actually you can keep that up for another 10 minutes or so.  Ideal pace is one which feels OK at first, after a mile is feeling hard, after two you're desperate to stop but then you get that 'mile to go' feeling and keep going for a finishing sprint.  Your 'tiny bit slower than your pace for mile 1' probably is about right.  It also helps hugely if you're in a group, especially one with someone you know who you want to beat.

Well done to Rach junior and to Ricky - nice half in the heat there.

10/06/2013 at 22:21

Will - I have never done a 5k so prob not in a position to give advice.... however I would tend to go out 10 secs or so faster than 10k pace and try and push on a little after mile 1 and hold it to the end.

I suppose the problem is because it is so short you kind of need to get up to 5k pace quickly or else you are losing time without enough distance to make it back up again.

10/06/2013 at 22:39

Rachel - great to see the milage creeping back up.

Will - I am hoping to get a run in at my local parkrun in the next few months. Once my son's football finishes on a Saturday I will give it a lash. I have never raced 5k either so I will be following Dave's advice when I try it.

9 miles for me on Saturday at 7:59 pace and 6 miles tonight at 7:40 pace.

Still nursing my ankle but now I think I have worked out what I have done. When I went over on my ankle a few weeks back, I have strained my peroneal tendons which run around the outside of the ankle and attach themselves to the underside of the foot. However these last two runs have shown that I can run with it. Need to be careful not to overdo it. Am now focussing my stretching exercises on these. Also running with a compression sleeve to give them extra support. Have booked a physio later this week as a precaution. 

Next 10k for me in 2 weeks. As this is hilly I am just going to use this as one of my weekend runs. The next one is 2 weeks after that and I am hoping that I can give this a real go.

Will be starting my marathon training at the end of the month and all things considered will be following the lowest mileage plan in the P&D book with maybe a few tweaks to add in sone additional 20 mile LSR's.

12/06/2013 at 21:04

Thanks dave. I've done 2 of the park runs and the first one I went off like a bat out of hell. 6'47 for mile 1, then 7'30 then 8'08 and had to walk on the last hill so guess that tells its own story! Definitely Tallys with what you're saying.. was much more even this last weekend but haven put the garmin on strava yet. Think mile splits were more like 7'18-25 the whole way. V different pacing to what I'm used too!

ricky and Carl you should def get to the parkruns, they're really good. And Carl, good fast medium length tempo running going on. You might surprise yourself on your hilly 10k..

did 0.5m intervals x 6 at lunch at around 6'40 pace. Hard work!

13/06/2013 at 07:33

Fast intervals there Will!

4 miles for me this morning at 8:02- bring on the sub 8 min mile!!! 

15/06/2013 at 10:51

8 miles for me again this morning : 1 :09 ...a whole 5 minutes faster than last week (8:41 min mile) I can really feel the fitness returnng. 

15/06/2013 at 11:01

Great running Rachel

16/06/2013 at 22:59

Excellent stuff Rachel - you've still got it!

Amazing how quickly the fitness ebbs away when you take your foot off the gas.... I reckon I have lost about 20 - 30 secs a mile in pace since my Marathon in early May( based on Heart Rates for certain paces etc)

Anyway 7 miles tonight (middle 5 miles tempo @ 7.48 avg pace).... I have a HM on Wednesday evening so that was my last run before the race itself. Difficult course with hilly second half so even sub 1:45 I feel will be a tough ask for me

23/06/2013 at 22:01

How was your half on Wednesday ricky?

26/06/2013 at 22:47

Hello Will.... sorry haven't been on here for a few days!

I had a tough & slightly disappointing Half last week - warm & sunny and what seemed like relentless hills in the second half, Through the first 6 miles in 46.25 feeling good thent the pace slowed a bit as the hilly sections began.... by mile 9 I was suffering and by mile 11 I was struggling.... I walked for a few mins through the last water station on mile 12 and ran a v slow 10 min mile as result. Had a chat to myself and got a decent sub 8 mml pace going again for the final 1.1 miles.
Ended up with a 1:47 and my slowest half of the year.
On the bright side it was a personal course record for me (2.06 last year as my debut race on my return to running & 1.56 the only previous time I ran it in 2005)

Anyway upwards & onwards - started my Autumn Marathon training (Dublin) this week  ... 18 weeks to go!

01/07/2013 at 23:29

ricky that sounds like a great effort on a tough course on a hot day! Hope you're not beating yourself up about it.

jealous of your latest marathon training, hope its off to a good start?

i am just coming out of illness which started last Wednesday lunch. I was doing a 5 mile tempo at 7'30 pace (same pace as previous wk) and felt terrible - stomach pain, and had to stop twice. Thought I was having an off day but t developed in to a full on virus/cold which weirdly was a relife in terms of training!

had a week off so shld be fresh for this Wednesday lunchtimes tempo ; o )

Hope everyone else is going well

02/07/2013 at 07:30

Hi, it's all gone pretty quiet round here,,,thanks Will for popping by! Sounds like you had a nasty bug there, but hopefully you'll have good fresh legs after a bit of a break.

As for me, it's all going very well indeed. June was my highest mileage month since January (I crossed 80 miles). I am planning on running a local 10k next Wednesday evening, it falls on our 20th wedding anniversary (I was a child bride!) and so I've roped in my OH, so we can cross the line together!! 

06/07/2013 at 20:42

Hey everyone thought this forum has ended just popped in for old times sake and you are posting ! 

For me done a few 10k and 5 k runs and pb in each so good news Isle of Arran half tomorrow, have not entered another marathon yet but still looking to do another by year end - Rachel is that Offer ton you are looking at next week?

07/07/2013 at 18:49

Yes! Are you running it?

16/07/2013 at 00:47

Hello everyone,

just popping in to say it is bloody HOT in London. Did 6 miles at 7'42 pace after work and nearly died. Had to stop twice! Must have been 30c if not hotter...

done a couple more parkruns in 22'30 but have a 10k race this Sunday now... not sure sub 45 is on but depends if the course is flat or not..

hope you're all training well in this heat!

15/08/2013 at 08:30

Hi Rachel - how are things going ?

01/09/2013 at 19:36

Hi Carter! Sorry I've been away in Germany for much of the summer, so not been around! Am popping over to your thread now!

M...eldy    pirate
15/12/2013 at 18:24

Ladies & Gents

We are due to run this little group again this year, if you would like to be part of the process or indeed would like to grass someone up that I can approach for a mentor then please let me know  .. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,181 to 1,200 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.