RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

121 to 140 of 1,201 messages
06/01/2013 at 22:37
I'm obviously missing something, but why might there only be 5 of the Super 6 left???
07/01/2013 at 08:19
Runningrachel wrote (see)

H Carl!

I think you're right- long runs are just dull without the reward of the "I've just run fast " buzz. I may well have to learn to love them...

I actually enjoy my LSR most as I tend to get out and about into the Peaks. I dont see many people generally and it's really peaceful. Whereabouts are you Rachel and do you have the option of running in the countryside ?

07/01/2013 at 12:55

Just ignore me, I've realised that I'm being dense...

07/01/2013 at 13:56

Rachel - I put my new trotters on to go to the gym at lunch. They are very white indeed and I must have stuck out like one of those people going to the gym as a new year resolution. I'm sure I didnt look like the athlete I clearly am !!!!!!!!

07/01/2013 at 17:07

Ha ha Carter don't you love that new trainer look!

Sadly I do not live out in the sticks, but rather close to Stockport! As such my long runs tend to be "Out and back" which I kind of like! My 10 miler is a 5 mile run which loops almost home, before running it the other way round. My twenty miler just does that twice! (which means I can knock on the door for sustinance at the halfway point!)

So how do the new trainers feel? And how is the ankle today?

I have enjoyed a rest day today, well...I say enjoyed, but I was back at work, so....

07/01/2013 at 17:08

Hi Nykie Stay and chat anyway!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
07/01/2013 at 17:27

I think we've got to the root of your problems carter.  It's well known that red shoes are fastest.

When I lived in Buxton I did a lot of cycling in the hills (every way is up) but never ran.  Except maybe once or twice when the snow was too deep for cycling.  Probably more forced marching than running, to be honest.

For today's rest day, another tip.  One thing that often happens with spring marathons is that they happen on one of the first warm days of the year, and if the temperature approaches 20 degrees the forums are full of 'phew, what a scorcher' type comments when in reality it's just a nice warm spring day.  Problem is, we've spent all winter training in the cold, and we're not used to it.  So unless you're going to go & train somewhere warmer, what can you do about it?  Well, one thing you can do is to avoid skimping on the layers when you run.  You don't need to go out looking like the michelin man and you don't want to overheat, but you want to get your body used to getting rid of excess heat as sweat rather than just maintaining temperature because you're running in a vest and shorts in the snow.

07/01/2013 at 17:55
Damn. And I've got silver go-faster stripes on my trainers too !
The ankle was stiff this morning but after the gym session it felt ok. It's aching a bit now again but I think it should be ok for easy running. Don't you like to vary your route Rachel, to prevent getting bored and/or de-motivated ? I often wonder how I would cope without having all the different routes I can run. Good advice about the layers dave, but Rachel lives in Stockport so there isn't much chance of it being warm up there I bet there were some lovely routes in Buxton too.
Hi nykie - have you got a spring marathon planned. ?
07/01/2013 at 18:06

Carter may well be out in skimpy vest and shorts, but I for one am always well clad! I am a compression sock convert, which means I like to either wear full length leggings or shorts, cos they look the least silly!!

07/01/2013 at 18:41
I thought you northern girls were meant to be tough !!
07/01/2013 at 21:17

Tough yes, but not prepared to look ridiculous! (who says it doesn;t matter what you wear to run!

Sooooo not looking forward to tomorrow's early start, but will get into the routine in a few days! 

07/01/2013 at 22:41
Hi everyone. Yes, I'm doing London. I'm looking at this thread as I'd love to get sub 4 but realistically I think I'd be lucky to get sub 4:30. I can dream though

I tend to run in Capri leggings or shorts, simply because I can't seem to find any long leggings I don't look like an idiot in.
08/01/2013 at 07:16

Hi Nykie! Stick on this thread, I'm sure Dave's tips will get you close to your goal! I must admit my fav leggings were capri till I started wearing compression socks...sorry boys- fashion talk!

So, intervals done in the dark! I was SO tired this morning, that I almost decided to skip the intervals, but after a 1 mile warm up, it wasn't so awful a prospect. Very similar splits to last week, with a total run time of 34:33 for 4.1 miles. Happy enough with that at this stage. And so to work.....

08/01/2013 at 08:12

Oh, Dave, I meant to ask...can Wednesday be an easy run and Thursday tempo? Just so there is a day in between when I can ease up a bit? Now I really AM going to work...

08/01/2013 at 08:52

I'm doing my long runs on Mondays, which feels very weird. Some people at my running club wear compression socks and capris

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/01/2013 at 11:09

Well done getting out there early doors Rachel.  No problem swapping the next two days, but tomorrow should be a little bit brisker than 'easy'.  It's a relatively short run after all.  Don't go mad though, the quicker one should be the tempo one on thursday.

Welcome Nykie.  Are you following a training schedule?  Rachel's got the basic sessions sorted - your paces might be a little different but there's no reason why you shouldn't do something similar.

08/01/2013 at 14:03

I'm starting to follow the Shades marathon plan but it's all a little to pot currently - I did a parkrun on Saturday, a 4.5 mile trail race on Sunday and 7 miles yesterday. I won't be doing anything today and then efforts at my running club tomorrow - running there and back, total of about 5 miles. Then I'm planning about 6 miles on Thursday and nothing Friday.

08/01/2013 at 16:24

Worry not Dave, I shall not be shuffling...but what do you call brisk? 8:30 min mile? 

08/01/2013 at 21:24

Hello! Loved reading all everyone's marathon training! Am in week 2 of mine, sounds like it's all going great for you Rachel, we should do another park run haha!, just used my new trainers, got those insoles that are moulded to your feet! 

08/01/2013 at 23:06

I have just started week 2 of my plan with 2 x 1.5 miles fast (8.19 & 8.14 pace) with 0.5 mile recoveries and a mile easy at the start and end of the run. Like has been said on here before, my midweek runs are shorter but faster and one easy run on the sat and a longer run Sunday. My long run is 10 min mile pace (goal of 4 hrs @ London), taken from a plan from RW. This seems to be a bit slower than a lot of other plans and im a bit worried perhaps its too slow, or should the faster midweek stuff compensate I know theres no exact answer, but I wish there was!

121 to 140 of 1,201 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.