RW Forum Six – Sub 4 Running Rachel with Cheerful Dave

161 to 180 of 1,200 messages
10/01/2013 at 20:08
Nykie great result just remember you have completed something that a lot of people can only dream of doing
Any one have any half marathons planned in? I have just entered North West one in Blackpool in late Feb , there are pacers at this event so should be a good run
10/01/2013 at 20:13

I'm just going to do the Liverpool half, as I was planning on doing Silverstone but didn't enter in time. It's organised well and the medal and t-shirt should be good  The organiser, Alan Rothwell, comes onto the forums as well.

10/01/2013 at 20:42

4 miles tonight, 1 warm up @ 10.21, 2 "Brisk" @ 8.37, 1 cool down 10.12. Really enjoyed it.

Dave thanks for the advice. Based on calculators I think it has my marathon time down as 3.52. I think I will just stick with what I am doing for now and will re-assess in a few weeks. Like you say, just get the long miles in and potentially run the long runs slightly faster (maybe 9.45m/m) further into the plan.

10/01/2013 at 21:24

Nykie, I look forward to hearing your new PB after the parkrun! Was considering the Liverpool half myself...

How did you find the Liverpool marathon? I never really recovered from the hill towards 18 miles (Upper Parliament?) At least Manchester should be flat!!

Good running James and an impressive sounding target!

10/01/2013 at 22:12
Well done James. How did you find running at 10:21 pace ?

Nykie - are you doing a marathon as well this year ? (Internet is crap tonight so can't page back to see what you said before)

Rachel - rest day for me tomorrow. What's in store for you ? You mentioned compression socks previously, do you wear them during or after a run. ? What benefits are you getting from wearing them ?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/01/2013 at 07:43

Rachel, have one between 5 & 6 miles, and see how you get on with that.  Carry a second for emergencies but see if you can get to 12 without it.  Ideally gels will be a bonus in races rather than essential so it's a good idea to try not to be too reliant on them.  I've lost them in races before and you just have to get on with it.

Since we're talking half marathons, I've entered Wokingham next month.  The first flat half I've done for ages so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Carter, I use compression socks in triathlons (well, the footless calf guards rather than socks), mainly to keep my calves in one piece during the run after all the cycling.  They do seem to reduce the DOMS after those long races, but probably nothing that proper post-race massage wouldn't do.  If you suffer with cramps they might be worth trying, but unless you've got problems I'd save your money for now.

Besides, they're not a great look on a runner...

...although I'm sure Rachel's are fine

11/01/2013 at 08:58

Dave, I have ofton wondered about the compression socks or calf protectors but have never taken the plunge. They just add to the look of amusement us runners get from non-runners.

I invested in a pair of compression long shorts and think that they help me particularly when doing speedwork and very long runs.

It was so cold last night (the track I use being in an open park in London is a couple of degrees colder than the surrounding area) that I decided against them in favour of the full length tights.

Did my interval training and could not have done any better and had no adverse effects from being without.

And legs are fine this morning.

So like most things that are sold to help us improve performance it is probably all in our mind. If we think they help they do. 

11/01/2013 at 11:07
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Besides, they're not a great look on a runner...

...although I'm sure Rachel's are fine

Maybe, maybe not.....!!

I've got one calf protector that I got when I was having pains in my shins ages ago. I just rested and the pain went away but I'm not convinced they work to be honest. As Carl says, it may be all in our mind

Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/01/2013 at 11:47

I will admit to wearing compression shorts under my running shorts for long races.  It's probably unconnected but I've run faster and without cramping since I started doing that, so I'll stick with them, for luck if nothing else.  Doesn't everyone have lucky pants?

11/01/2013 at 13:13

Carter, I'm doing London this year (my 5th London) and either Yorkshire or Chester. I can only enter the Yorkshire Marathon when I get paid on the 25th and I'm starting to think it might get a bit lonely, as the vast majority of the route is out in the countryside.

Rachel, that hill is a shocker, isn't it? I walked up at least half of it, but at least you get to come back down it later in the race

11/01/2013 at 13:44

Yorkshire marathon is full.  That was quick!

11/01/2013 at 16:53

Dave, are you sure about the just one gel thing?? I don't usually eat before anything less than 15 miles.....will I survive????

Carter, I started wearing compression socks for every run after a minor injury last year. No doubt alot of it is psycological, but I definitely feel like my calfs are protected and I don't intend to find out if I'd be fine without them! Under long tights you can't see them anyway, and I just happily look ridiculous in the summer :P. If it makes me faster than you, they're worth it!!!

Nykie, I break out in a sweat remembering that hill, but, yes, coming back down was great!

11/01/2013 at 16:55

If thats the case Rachel I'm going to get some compression socks, shorts, trainers and vests !!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/01/2013 at 17:43

Take a second one with you Rachel & see how you get on.  If you haven't eaten at all you may need something.  You'll survive!

11/01/2013 at 19:04

Is a gel before I go out the door beneficial?

11/01/2013 at 19:12

Dave..another question...I am considering the Liverpool hlaf marathon on 24th March, BUT, that weekend would have been a 22 mile run. Suggestions? Is a half marathon worth doing 5 weeks before the big one?? If so, how would I rejig the runs? Once we get that far in I am alternating 20 milers with 13ish milers......

Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/01/2013 at 19:41

Something before you go out the door wouldn't be a bad idea.  A banana is more traditional, but a gel would do.

Ideally a half would be a good fit for one of your shorter weekends, but I'm sure that we can fit it in.  You could move that 22 miler either a week forward or back.  It would mean long runs on consecutive weekends and my own preference would be to do it earlier, so that you have maximum recovery before your marathon.  We'll have to see how you get on with lengthening your runs to see if doing 2 weekends in a row is a good idea, but enter the half anyway.  It'll be a confidence boost to get a good one in, and get another entry on your Powerof10 profile.

11/01/2013 at 19:44
Save - what is the power of 10 profile ?
11/01/2013 at 20:30

The Liverpool half is the 17th Rachel! #doit! haha!

11/01/2013 at 21:16

Jess! Amazing news! That works perfectly! I should be running 13 miles that weekend anyway!!! I'm off to enter!!

161 to 180 of 1,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.