RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Emmy Bug with Flatfooted

261 to 280 of 301 messages
03/03/2013 at 14:49

Hi all,

@Weedy - I think I need some concrete paces... for some reason I thought that 10 miles at 10.16 pace equalled 1hr 35

@Orbutt - I know... I think its one reason that i'll avoid Malta for the next few years but I heard that a lot of the southern european races are like that.

I've just got home from the Brugge-Oostende 10 miles and wanted to post before showering and grabbing some food.

Here's the mile breakdowns:

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/334358/gallery/10_miles_brugge.png?width=350

A flat race and not bad overall. 10 miles at that pace felt a little harder than I expected. I do wonder how i'll manage the other 16 in Paris!

No medal today (boo...hiss) but a cotton t-shirt and a pot plant. Yes, you heard that correctly - a pot plant. The winners were given a hanging basket so i'm not sure who got the worse deal

03/03/2013 at 20:07

A pot plant? I thought it was just Amsterdam where that sort of thing was legal 

Great run there Emmy. Really nice even splits too. Only a 10 second difference between the fastest and slowest, except miles 6, 8 and 9, although you got it back on track for 7 and 10, which suggests it wasn't because you were tiring.

I've been doing some jiggery-pokery in the RW pace predictor, and if you knock off two minutes for the three miles you went awry, it comes out with a predicted marathon time of 4.37  So you've only got to train enough to knock 420 seconds off your predicted time.

And that was a week after doing a marathon and two weeks after an ultra. You'll have three weeks of tapering under your belt come Paris.

03/03/2013 at 21:14

So.... here's a present for you. You only get to unwrap it though if you break 4.30 in Paris 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/727962/gallery/emmy_wrapped_cover.jpg?width=350

03/03/2013 at 22:21

Emmy - sterling work.

Hope this helps

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/676282/gallery/times.jpg?width=350

04/03/2013 at 08:19

Weedy! What a great picture! I love it! You know how to motivate me 

I've had a think about those miles and i worked out what it was. There was a guy really puffing in front of me and i slowed down to make sure he was OK (he was not a young lad) and then sped up. I then mentioned it to the marshal up ahead to keep an eye on him as he looked ready to keel over at mile 6. He finished in 2.02 but didnt look that great.

@Orbutt - Thank you for that - it really helps. I'm going to print it out. I think Dannirr was talking about some pace tattoos - i might get one of those.

I've been out for 4 recovery miles and felt OK. My legs are suprisingly sore this morning!

04/03/2013 at 10:51

Emmy - hi.   I hope you don't mind, but I lurk on here every now and again from the Shades thread.  One tip I've read is to write your required splits upside down (so you can see them) on your race number.  I guess there may be an issue with this if the race organisers count this as defacing or altering the race number.  I've never tried it, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, there are paper/plastic bracelets with paces on which you can use, but again I haven't used them.

04/03/2013 at 10:56

Hey Big_G! Of course I don't mind It's always nice to hear advice and ideas. I've tried the paper pace bracelets but they fell off half way through.

My first 'plan' was to write the mile paces on my arm with a permanent marker - and just wear long sleeves for a bit 

07/03/2013 at 18:12

Howdy all,

I've not managed a run today but will get out tomorrow morning. I can't sleep in at the moment as the bloody workmen start drilling outside my window at 7am 

Some updates from my side: I'm feeling A LOT better and with more energy this week so i'm hoping that i'm really starting to recover from the past few weeks.

I've also consulted a nutrionist and from Monday - i'll be beginning a structured eating plan. She's a runner, knows runners and is helping me correctly fuel myself for the run and the race ahead.

Also - i'm planning the following this weekend:

Tomorrow: 5 miles (attempt at tempo if i can)
Saturday: 12 miles LSR - pace? 11.30/12? or should I try 3m warm up, 6m MP, 3m wam down?
Sunday: 6 miles easy - 11.30 pace.

As Hubby will be leaving me for the ski slopes on Saturday - i'll have plenty of time for some running and gym next week. I had the good intention of a pool visit this evening but when I looked it up on the website it was kids hour... and I can't imagine anything worse! 

07/03/2013 at 19:39
Emmy - I did 20 miles last Sunday and I was absolutely knackered at the end. The fact that you can do this week after week shows that you have superb stamina.
I've got another 20 on Sunday then a half the week after, then it's tapir time.
During those last 3 weeks my body will start repairing and my energy levels will come up and I will be ready to go.
The energy you are feeling at the moment is because of the little respite that you have given your body and it seems to be doing you really well.

For your plan, give the 6m at MP a go and see how you get on. I've never had much success at changing pace mid run, unless its to do a 'sprint' section but its definitely worth a try.
Have you tried a shorter run at MP, like 3 miles with a 1 mile wu/cd? DV suggests this kind of thing for getting used to how the pace feels.

Pace Bands. I always print my own out and cover them in Sellotape, then I loop them around my wrist and tape them shut. It's often difficult to get them off at the end. I have all sorts of info on mine. Mile pace, Km pace. Gel distances. Even, the places I will bee seeing Mrs O Excel is your friend.
08/03/2013 at 09:35

Ditto about the recovery and tapering.

I just use a permanent marker on my arm. Top tip - baby wipes cleans it right off. I've seen the pace tattoos in Sweatshop. Don't know if you're back over in England before Paris, but give me a shout if you want me to pick one up for you.

10/03/2013 at 17:58

Hmm.. Permanent marker... i see temp tattoos may be a good way forward

I'm not sure if i'm coming over... I may do a quick weekend to stock up in tescos's... i'm running low on porridge!

So... Update from this week:

18 miles planned LSR yesterday - i managed 17 before giving up. I walked/ran the last 5 miles as i have hurt something. If this would have been any other weekend - I would have called for help and given in at 13 miles but help has taken himself off skiing so I had noone to call and not enough money for a taxi.

https://www.google.be/search?q=hip+abductors&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_sI8Ufi9PIrJrAeWnYGYDQ&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=742#imgrc=4bdnUAXhMA-yCM%3A%3BGiMuOPddQeGDpM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F4.bp.blogspot.com%252F_gJAaRVFNav4%252FSk0Nhr121qI%252FAAAAAAAAAGg%252FW_SsfyErm7c%252Fs400%252Fthigh%252Bmuscles.bmp%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.health-act.net%252F2009%252F07%252Fouter-thigh-exercise.html%3B386%3B400

I'm not sure if the image will display or not (thanks RW techies)

But on a side view its in the middle right beneath my hip. Consensus on the Paris thread looks like it could be hip abductors. I've got the number for a great sports doctor so will be calling up tomorrow morning to get an appointment and i'm doing some stretching tonight to try and rest it.

BUT... that didnt stop me from 6 easy miles this morning. I wanted to see if the pain was made better/worse by changing shoes and focusing on my gait... everything was well until 4 miles and then i started to feel it again. I tried to change stride/pace but nothing seemed to work. I have RICE'ed it this afternoon so i'm going to see how i feel tomorrow.

The weird thing is - it doesnt hurt when I walk - just when I run.

The plan is 4 recovery miles tomorrow morning so i'll see how i feel and then go from there.

11/03/2013 at 08:53

How's things feel today?

Not sure of the benefits of changing your stride. You could be opening the door to a whole other set of problems if you start using slightly different muscles than the ones you normally use during your stride. Plus your original stride's got you through however many miles previously without problems.

Altho I'm no expert on gait. Come to think of it, I'm no expert on anything really. Except finding Wally in the Where's Wally pictures - I'm not bad at that. And I can see those magic eye pictures as well.

And digressing. I'm quite good at digressing and getting distracted.

Don't know if anyone else here has more knowledge about changing gait.

11/03/2013 at 09:07
Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

How's things feel today?

Not sure of the benefits of changing your stride. You could be opening the door to a whole other set of problems if you start using slightly different muscles than the ones you normally use during your stride. Plus your original stride's got you through however many miles previously without problems.

Altho I'm no expert on gait. Come to think of it, I'm no expert on anything really. Except finding Wally in the Where's Wally pictures - I'm not bad at that. And I can see those magic eye pictures as well.

And digressing. I'm quite good at digressing and getting distracted.

Don't know if anyone else here has more knowledge about changing gait.

You can do magic eye pictures?!? How?!?! I've Always wanted to do that! Whenever I'm at the Dentist - I steal the children's books to play where's wally? and read topsy and tim.

To be honest -I was just trying to see if a change made a difference. It probably lasted for 100m before I resorted back to a walk/run.

Last night I watched a good 30 mins of stretches on youtube and did a little bit of self massage and this morning it didnt hurt at all. I'm making an attempt to focus on stretching, walking around every hour (as opposed to sitting at my desk) and stretching whilst I run.

Let's not lie - I'm actually scared of what it could be but i'm trying to not get all girly here and overthink things. It could just be a simple strained muscle and nothing more serious.

Today I went out for a 4 mile recovery run (again in different shoes*) and no pain. I did a walk/run strategy from the start and it seemed to help. I started to feel 'something' but it could have been the extreme cold getting to my extremities. It's currently -3 and snowing here I saw another runner who remarked:  Are we f*&king mad? I had to tend to agree.

I was planning to go to the sports doc today (he has an opening at 3pm) but due to work - i've had to shelve that plan and try to get there on Thursday morning.

*= when I talk about different shoes I mean the same brand/style but with a different "age". The ones from saturday were my newest with less than 50km, sunday's shoe was: 600km, today's was 300km. Tomorrow - to liven things up I *may* even change into my Brooks.

12/03/2013 at 15:32

http://www.magiceye.com/faq_example.htm

Try that link. You've just got to kind of get your eyes to glaze over so you look like you're daydreaming, something I'm quite good at.

Things still feel ok today?

12/03/2013 at 15:47

Wow.. I think I need to go back to magic eye!

I made an appointment at the dr on Thursday - it was the only day that I could fit in and even now it's looking doubtful... Darn work!

I went out for a run today and it was snowing/VERY cold and a bitter wind. I think maybe the snow took my mind off my hip? I'm doing daily stretching and touch wood - it hasnt hurt me today. I've got a sore back from my desk chair though!

I'm trying to be realistic about the pain so we'll see what happens and what the doctor says but i'm still training but adding in more cross training/stretching this week.

Now - Can anyone recommend anything for the windchill?

12/03/2013 at 17:18
Stay indoors ?
12/03/2013 at 17:27

Where's the fun in that? 

12/03/2013 at 19:24

Here you go. You'll have to wait till December tho. Average December temperature there's 77 degrees, but with the windchill, it feels more like 76.

http://www.reggaemarathon.com/

13/03/2013 at 18:52

Now *that's* a marathon and my kind of event!

6 miles this morning and i've got another 6 planned for tomorrow before the doctors.

Let's hope it's nothing serious. I'm off for a nice stretching session and will attempt to not give myself carpet burn this evening 

Edited: 13/03/2013 at 18:56
17/03/2013 at 11:48
Hi all,

I went to the sports doc on Thursday and apart from massaging my rear he said that I've got a strain higher up on the IT band and was prescribed painkillers, rest and LOTD of stretching. Everything is good so far...

Cue yesterday's planned 10miler. I get to 3 miles and it starts hurting. I forego a tantrum and slowly go home finishing in 4.5 miles. I stretch, rest, ice it.

I do a little tester today (I needed to go to the cashpoint), where 3 miles are completed and this time my hamstring plays up.

I feel like a wreck at the moment.

I've been advice to run every other day and continue with the stretching which I'll do but I'm starting to get concerned

Please send good vibes to my IT Band and tell it to get its act together.
261 to 280 of 301 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.