RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Emmy Bug with Flatfooted

21 to 40 of 301 messages
22/12/2012 at 19:38

Have a look here, Weedy and all will become clear

22/12/2012 at 19:45

Hi Emmy!

Can you recommend a low GI book or two?  I've been thinking about taking a look at that since listening to Nell McAndrew's interview on marathon talk.  I've got a couple in my Amazon "thinking about it" pile.  I won't adopt it wholeheartedly, not yet anyway - unless Christmas Puddings and double cream are recommended.

22/12/2012 at 19:50

Ah, nice. Well done. See I've got some updating on my list to do as well.

Flatfooted - look after Emmy please. She's the Chuck Norris of the running world you know.

22/12/2012 at 20:00

@Tenijso - It was actually Nell's interview that got me into Low GI in the first place. I've struggled for a while with my diet as some things just seem to disagree with me and since adopting low gi - i've not had as many issues. I use: The GI recipe bible and the one that Nell recommended in the podcast as a general 'direction pointer'. I wanted a list of all 'good' foods to make sure that I had it in my fridge and ready to eat. I love porridge with fresh berries -there's no better way to start the day.

I didnt adopt it 'fully' straight away. I made small changes every week to my diet/shopping list and before I knew it - I was feeling so much better. I've found that the biggest issue for me was bread. I love my bread and having to cut out the white loaf was one of the hardest things for me to try. I still have a slice or two but will always try to choose a lower GI option if I can.

A friend of mine is doing the paleo diet for a year and she's struggled A LOT with finding sufficient energy during runs. Nuts and fruit wasn't enough for her but she seems to have handled it really well after a few months.

22/12/2012 at 20:03
Weedy Kings of Orient Are wrote (see)

Ah, nice. Well done. See I've got some updating on my list to do as well.

Flatfooted - look after Emmy please. She's the Chuck Norris of the running world you know.

The list update will come once Flatfooted has spoken about the races  You're too kind, Weedy. I think all FF needs to know is: i'm red haired. That's a lot of awesomeness in one package 

22/12/2012 at 20:18

Thanks Emmy.  I've just ordered the little Collins Gem book to have a look.  

22/12/2012 at 20:23

@Tenjiso - I have a great low GI flapjack recipe if you're interested (once you start it of course). It's scrummy and you can make it to your own tastes very easily!

22/12/2012 at 21:13

Congrats Emmy!

22/12/2012 at 21:14
I can confirm that Emmy was looking sufficiently perky at the end of Amsterdam that she should be able to knock off another 25 mins or so, no probs .
22/12/2012 at 21:41

I would be interested in the recipe, thanks Emmy.  

22/12/2012 at 21:43

Congrats Emmy, another thread to follow, I'll be hoping to pick up lots of good advice over the coming months.

22/12/2012 at 22:41

Well done Emmy!  Now get that Flu beaten off.

22/12/2012 at 23:36

Waves back to FF!

Emmy- 13???!!  I shall live my spring marathon (s) through you this year as there is a distinct lack of one on my calendar this year.....

23/12/2012 at 07:41
Great news Emmy! I'll look forward to following your progress!
23/12/2012 at 14:26

Yay Emmy - congrats on being picked.

I'll follow this thread with great interest

23/12/2012 at 15:22
Hi all, thank you for all of the congrats here and on FB. It's been truly humbling to see myself amongst the others that have been picked and I hope to provide sufficient entertainment and info along the way. I've been back to the docs today and they've switched my medication to another form.... And I'll admit - today has not been a good day for me.

@RR - in comparison to you and RS - I don't think anyone could have looked as great as you two at the end of Amsterdam!

@Tenjiso - I'll write up the recipe tomorrow when I'm on a 'real' computer. It's really easy and if I'm with my niece and nephew - they love taking part and helping.

@VikW - Yep. That's the plan. I admit that I went a little stir crazy in planning this year but there's just so many that I want to do.
It started off with Malta and hearing how great the course was (it's all downhill), then Giantshead with GoldBeetle, Berlin with the Shades group, and others that friends have told me about as being good runs (Eco trail de Paris, Luxembourg etc.). In fact - One of the only reasons I'm running Paris this year is because of the thread from here! I never considered it before but with the group from here - it should be the highlight of my year.

@Clag/Orbutt- thank you! Lets see how we get on once FF has deliberated and come up with an idea for how to handle me!

@Flatfooted - I also wanted to say that if you wanted to move around A races (e.g. Focus on a different one than Paris) then I'm happy to do that too.

Now.... Can anyone confirm or deny reports that I've heard that there's red wine served en route in Paris?
23/12/2012 at 16:16

Emmy, I've just done my 14th of the year, and I know it's not the same for everyone but it's really slowed me down, in the summer I seemed to always be tapering or recovering (which I didn't do properly) but it might work for you, it does for others. If you decide to do the Eco Trail let me know and I'll try and lend some advice, they definitely do not serve wine, just the most disgusting flavour electrolyte I have ever tasted. Really interested in your friend trying out paleo, I've given it a whirl but am too chicken not to carb load and take gels in race. Have a great Christmas, don't get too drunk and enter any more races though.

23/12/2012 at 17:29
Hi Kate, I appreciate the advice from someone 'more experienced'. I found that during sept/October I seemed to be great form. I was racing every weekend (admittedly different distances - 25km, half mara, 10km, marathon) and found that towards the end I was speeding up. My last mara of the 'session' was Amsterdam where I PB'ed by 20 minutes after running a PB half marathon the week before in Cologne. My legs seem to work 'better' when they're tired or being worked regularly... But there's a fine line i think between worked regularly and working too much

I know that the marathon is a distance to be respected and thats one thing that i'm hoping to learn from here. I'm hoping that as they're "grouped" together - I'll be in a better position to recover and train.... But I've got no clue. I've never done this sort of mileage before so I'm happy that Flatfooted is helping me out.
24/12/2012 at 09:00

Emmy do you record your run data anywhere, Garmin connect, Fetch etc?? just looking for an idea of training times over race times per mile.

24/12/2012 at 09:36

Hi Flatfooted- i've tried to use Strava but it's not connecting very well with my garmintrainer data and it keeps refusing the data. I'll see if i can upload it again and send you the link. I was keeping to Shades advice for training times:

Recovery: MP less 90secs/2 mins
Long: MP less 30-90 secs
Easy: MP less 30-60 secs
Tempo: 1m easy, Xm@10km/Half mara pace, 1m easy
Fartlek: 1m easy, Xm fartlek, 1m easy

MP was 10.45mm for Amsterdam.

If you want - I can send you what was my proposed plan for 2013 and you can let me know what you think?

21 to 40 of 301 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.