RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Emmy Bug with Flatfooted

61 to 80 of 300 messages
01/01/2013 at 11:10
Hi everyone, i hope the hangovers werent too bad this morning. Weather here is currently quite bad. Lots of showers and a strong wind but it certainly wakes you up once you're out there. At least it's not too cold!

5 and a bit miles done with hubby for me. He saw me getting my running gear on and said he'd join me for a bit.... By the end he was struggling a little bit but still managed it despite not running since October (he hates running). I enjoy running with someone else as I find it helps the miles go pass quicker.

Training breakdown:
Mile 1: 9.54 mm
Mile 2: 9.50 mm
Mile 3: 9.30 mm
Mile 4: 9.52 mm (into a headwind the entire road of this mile)
Mile 5: 9.37 mm
Added bit: 500m in 2m 37 secs (we sprinted the last bit)

@FF - were those times too quick for a tempo run? Or were the second differences too much? I was trying to make sure that my 3rd mile was quicker and I think it was a mixture of trying to up the pace and the sheltered road that helped with 20second difference. I'm trying to learn to keep an even pace but always struggle to keep it within a 10 second difference. Is that timeframe too optimistic? Or just right?

It felt ok, I definitely felt like I was working but could say short sentences and talk so for me it was a good tempo session.... And I'll admit something... It felt good to finally beat hubby for once (yes I am competitive)

How is everyone else getting on?
02/01/2013 at 23:00

I've always found that when I try to maintain an even pace by using my Garmin, I end up doing the first bit of each split either slow or fast, and for the rest I'm either speeding up or slowing down to compensate. When I ignore the Garmin and just run on feel without thinking about maintaining pace at all, I can get my splits within about a 20 second range.

03/01/2013 at 07:32
Weedy - did you practice knowing what the pace is? Or was it purely by feel? When I run without my garmin I find my pace to be a lot more difficult to maintain a good average speed.
03/01/2013 at 09:11

Just purely by feel. Altho I'm not able to say to myself "Right, I''m going to do five miles at 9min mile pace" or "five miles at 8min 30 pace". It's just that whatever pace I do it's fairly consistent. I could probably tell you what I've done to the nearest 15 seconds maybe.

There's a marathon I've heard about in Utah that starts in the evening. You all set off at whatever time you like, and the winner's the person who crosses the line nearest to midnight. The catch is you can't wear a watch.

03/01/2013 at 09:16

Utah, you say?... and when is this? 

On my easy runs - i'll switch the garmin on and not look at it for the duration of the run but perhaps I need to try harder on getting an even effort.

Today is full preparation day for the double marathon on Saturday/Sunday. I am drinking water, have my snacks all sorted out and am trying to decide what to wear (just like every UK marathon - the weather could change every hour!).

@FF - What pace or time should I aim for in these two marathons? 11min miles? or what would you suggest? I know that we want to keep them as even efforts so wanted to check so that I can program the alarm on my garmin.

03/01/2013 at 11:40
Emmy H wrote (see)

Don't you dare

Don't even think about thinking about it either

03/01/2013 at 11:55
Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
Emmy H wrote (see)

Don't you dare

Don't even think about thinking about it either

I'm not thinking about anything and i'm definitely not googling it.... 

03/01/2013 at 13:49

Emmy - I find that, without my Garmin, I tend to run too fast on my slow runs.

I'm not speedy, I just go off fast and suffer

04/01/2013 at 14:03

@Orbutt - I admit that I put great reliance on my beeping garmin to tell me to slow down! I will always start off too fast and i end up suffering a lot 

I've arrived at my parents waiting for the traffic on the M25/M1 to clear before heading up to Milton Keynes later on tonight. Preparation has been a lot better this time around; i've been drinking/eating the right foods so I hope that tomorrow it's another thing that will go in my favour.

I'll write a race report after the event but at the moment there's an element of nerves and needing a mental kick up the ass. This race has pummelled me twice so far so i'm trying to take out the negative thoughts and focus onsome strong mental thoughts.

@FF - If you do get a chance to see this; can you let me know about what pace I should aim at for an even effort this wekeend. 11m? 11.30?

Have a great weekend everyone!

04/01/2013 at 14:41
Emmy H wrote (see)

I'll write a race report after the event but at the moment there's an element of nerves and needing a mental kick up the ass.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/727962/gallery/5905946781_8856ce15ee_z.jpg?width=350

Something like this?

04/01/2013 at 14:44

Weedy - You are the King of images. I love Father Ted!

04/01/2013 at 16:47

Good luck Emmy. I found that to boost me along on that course I put in a bit of extra efforts on the two small inclines and that made the flat bits seem nice and coasty along if that helps at all.

04/01/2013 at 19:09
Thanks Kate. I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on... Now.... Is it beer o'clock?
05/01/2013 at 07:07
Weedy - did you practice knowing what the pace is? Or was it purely by feel? When I run without my garmin I find my pace to be a lot more difficult to maintain a good average speed.
05/01/2013 at 15:28

Emmy- I'm really interested in how your double goes- I've got my name down for a double all in 1 day in april- not at all sure how to tackle it pace/ running break -wise - it is on a canal path, (Glasgow to Edin) whereas my 2 previous ultras have had hills/ rough terrain which forces y outo walk segments.

I suspect that I am better doing the double as a single event rather than trying to get going again the next day , once I've seized up- have you done either/ both type of double before?

Good luck.

06/01/2013 at 07:29
Hi all, just a quick one as I only get 30mins of wifi a day!

I'll do a round up tomorrow but in short. Day 1 over and I felt a lot better throughout. Yesterday it felt like I had only an 18-19miles but my hamstring felt a little tight so spent some time last night stretching. This morning I've woken up and my legs are a little sore but I'm hoping that after a few miles warm up - I'll be alright.

@tricialitt - I'll answer your email tomorrow but this was my first double so I've tried different things that I hope I can learn /improve on.

So... Day2 starts and I need to get some porridge before hobbling my way down the stairs!
06/01/2013 at 07:58

Well done Emmy - you're doing great

When it gets tough, just remember Father Ted's behind you all the way.

07/01/2013 at 08:45

I promise to write up a proper report today.... but just for the shortened version: I did it!!!

Day 1: 5.23.48
Day 2: 5.23.49 (that bloody second is annoying me).

Feel a little sore but not as bad as i was expecting!  

07/01/2013 at 11:59

Congratulations Emmy!   What a great start to the year!  Amazing.... and I mean AMAZING consistancy  (one second!.... that's seriously impressive).

07/01/2013 at 12:10

Hi Emmy. Very well done indeed !

61 to 80 of 300 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.