RW Forum Six – Sub 5 Vanessa Ford with Plum

41 to 60 of 185 messages
27/12/2012 at 19:54

Nah, Carter - he's far more likely to break himself before the furniture or a mentee

Plum    pirate
27/12/2012 at 20:06

I will have you know I am nearly mended.....  Blinking Hobbits spreading rumours,,,,,,,

V4D
27/12/2012 at 20:07
Lol, I'm not worried (crosses fingers and touches wood). I'm happy for any suggestions which would help. Have ordered new trainers as putting damp ones on yesterday was no fun. Now I can alternate .

I'm planning a run tomorrow and I'm going to use my virtual Pacer on the Garmin to try to slow me down a bit so I can run a bit longer.

For the record I have no valuable furniture, or anything else for that matter
27/12/2012 at 20:10
Plum wrote (see)

I will have you know I am nearly mended.....  Blinking Hobbits spreading rumours,,,,,,,

*mwah*

Plum    pirate
27/12/2012 at 20:20

...............always good to have 2 or 3 pairs of trainers at various stages of their life, you will do a fair bit of mileage between now and MK and shoes do feel different at diffeent stages of their life and it is nice to do the longer runs in the newer ones whilst they still have a bit of padding and support in them.....mine last me about 600 miles before i really notice the differenc which is less than 5 months wear for me, They then get relegated to short recovery runs or dirty muddy stuff in the woods

V4D
28/12/2012 at 09:25

Well I dropped the car off for a service and ran home with a half circuit of Willen Lake thrown in for good measure. Evil, evil weather this morning.

• Dist: 3.5m
  • Time: 37.14
  • Splits: 10:35:5, 10:34:7, 10:45:8, 5:17:7
  • Avg pace: 10.38 min/mil
  • 10 minutes stretching

Happy with that

Plum    pirate
29/12/2012 at 12:35

I am......

If you are going out in the sort of weather we are having now then we have no problems with motivation whatsoever.  how is the knee coming on, are you doing any strength work with it or just stretching?

V4D
29/12/2012 at 12:54

I'm having a rest day today which turned out to be a good choice as the weather is positively s*** out there.

I am doing some exercises my sports massage guy recommended; various leg raises, the clam, step ups and step downs plus trying to incorporate a good 10-15 minutes of stretches after each run.

I will be back out in the evil cold tomorrow to go for 4.5 miles.

seren nos    pirate
29/12/2012 at 13:26

good going Vanessa...keep those exercises up even when you are feeling that its better.......

according to my weather forecast it should be dry for 2 hours tomorrow morning

V4D
29/12/2012 at 13:30
Thanks serene, I will aim to run in the dry bit lol
Plum    pirate
29/12/2012 at 22:41

Serene....... ha ha ha    you have obviously nevr met the woman, she was injected with a gramaphone needle at a very early age and hasn't shut up since.

I have planned 2 hours tomorrow no matter what after a swim and a short run this morning then the rest of the day sat on my ass driving daughter back to Uni for some drunken New Year celebration

V4D
30/12/2012 at 10:00

What a lovely day - fingers crossed we are in for more than 2 hours in the dry. It is still pretty windy out though and most of my favourite route is still under a foot of water so I ran along the canal today.

• Dist: 5m
  • Time: 51:48
  • Splits: 10:18:8, 10:16:5, 10:34:8, 10:19:4, 10:15:9
  • Avg pace: 10.21 min/mil
  • 10 minutes stretching

That felt pretty good although the last half mile was tough but that is most certainly the best run I've had for months.

I hope everyone else is having a great run today

Edited: 30/12/2012 at 10:01
Plum    pirate
30/12/2012 at 11:02

I didnt......

Planned 2 hour nice and easy turned into not quite two hours of purgatory. had a sore throat for a couple of days but nothing serious so went out as planned and just struggled to breathe for the whole run, legs felt fine but every breath was painful....just wanted to cough all the way round but...... it was dry and not too cold if a bit windy and 14 miles in the bank. showered stretched and fed and now to fix the bike, swimming tonight may be a bit gentler than planned  

Vanessa that is excellent even paced running, the last half mile was probably the toughest because it was the fastest . Make a note of the run in your diary and we will revisit and rerun it in a month to see how much progress we have made. Like Seren  says keep up the stretching even when you think it is all better these things have a habit of coming back and biting you later.. 

V4D
30/12/2012 at 13:08

Oh dear Plum,  hope you're not coming down with the dreaded flu .

I think the last mile might be faster beacuase there are a couple of inclines (can't really call them hills round here) and I tend to speed up a bit to help me get up them.

I have saved the route in Endomondo and put it on the calendar for the last weekend of January.

Hope you feel better soon.

Plum    pirate
30/12/2012 at 22:00

Nah.... tough as old boots me...... swam tonight and didnt drown so there is hope for me yet 

V4D
31/12/2012 at 10:23

OK, I know I'm supposed to be running every other day but I couldn't resist it this morning .

• Dist: 3.11m
  • Time: 30:58
  • Splits: 10:21.1, 9:51.8, 9:51.6, 1:05.4
  • Avg pace: 9.58 min/mil
  • 10 minutes stretching

I did 15 miles in total last week so my plan is 16.5 miles this week (using 10%) rule with my long run at the weekend being 6 miles - does this sound sensible? Should I do more/less?

Nutrition: usually I run at 6am and don't have time or inclination to eat beforehand but will this impede my progress? At the weekend I have a bowl of porridge 1 1/5 to 2 hours before running. I find that if I eat say 1 hour before running I feel sick when I'm running. I do have a glass of water or a High5 drink as soon as I get home and a bowl of porridge if I haven't already eaten. Any tips would be gratefully received.

Also, I usually run with Sweatshop 5km on a Weds but they also now do a hill reps run on a Friday where they basically run up 2 hills, each 3 times at different speeds. Would that benefit me more?

Sorry for all the questions.

V

Edited: 31/12/2012 at 10:24
31/12/2012 at 10:40

Hi Vanessa. There is nothing wrong with an extra run now and again as long as you dont overdo it. You are using the 10% rule so you should be fine.

Nutrition - If I'm running in the morning I dont normally eat anything beforehand. If your long run is 6 miles then I dont think it will be a problem if you dont either but as you start to be on your feet for about 90 minutes or so then you might want to consider taking on some food midway through your run. I'm sure others will come along and give you better advice but just wanted to say well done and good luck !

seren nos    pirate
31/12/2012 at 10:45

I personally would avoid the hill work unil you are totally back fit again.....

especially as befopre speed work you should be warmning up for a mile or two first ... would make it into a long run.....

I always avoid speed work as I'm easily broken...

I usually eat before i run unless its really early and then i just take a mouthful of babana and a can of diet coke first

V4D
31/12/2012 at 12:25

Thanks seren and carterusm. I am trying out different snacks to eat on the run - I really do not like the gels but quite like the Mule Bar snacks. I was advised to try jelly beans but I ate so many when I did Kilimanjaro I suffered severe heartburn and nausea for days .

A banana and coke would send me running straight for the sick bin .

Plum    pirate
31/12/2012 at 18:57

"I did 15 miles in total last week so my plan is 16.5 miles this week (using 10%) rule with my long run at the weekend being 6 miles - does this sound sensible? Should I do more/less?"

Sounds very sensible to me especially after the knee .... this brings me onto the next thing, stay away from hil reps for a bit until the knee is, as sure as we can be, 100%. It is not necessarily the running up that only causes the problem but the running down again and to deliberatley repeat this at this stage of your training with the knee as it is is not wise.  Dont worry, hills will appear 

Nutrition is very personal and does need lots of practise, best thing for you is to look at what time MK starts and have a couple of practise sundays where you get up, eat porridge/bagels/full english etc,  whatever you find suits you at the time interval you will have on the day of the marathon, often best on race days so the nerves kick in as well.....You can run marathons on just fluids, lots of people do, me included,  but it may pose more problems than it solves with all that fluid sloshing around. All I can say is practise what you can and cant eat and when you can eat if... before and during. 

Your body if you are eating properly should have enough energy for about an hour to an hour and a half of exercise before it starts looking for other supplies so your shorter runs early mornings you should be fine.but this is an oportunity to try small amounts of different stuff. people will give you millions of ideas... my own personal food is.... Three weetabix, semi skimmed milk, a bagel with peanut butter, couple of cups of coffee then glug a 500ml bottle of sports drink on the start line, butt hat works for me....   

41 to 60 of 185 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.