RW Forum Six – Sub 5 Vanessa Ford with Plum

1 to 20 of 185 messages
M...eldy    pirate
22/12/2012 at 17:49

Errr yes .. if the old codger remembers his way back in, he's geting old you know

Plum    pirate
22/12/2012 at 17:58

oi.......I shall go off and stalk Vanessa......... she doesnt realise how lucky she is. 

Plum    pirate
22/12/2012 at 18:07

I get the youngsters.......

Quoted from Vanessa....... who we will have to find a proper forum name for  

I am 45 years old and just got into running this year. I'm quite fit and before falling in love with running was a walker/trekker. This year trekked to Everest Base Camp, completed 12 of the Welsh 3000s and walked London to Brighton to raise money for the local hospice.

I'm a mum of 3 working 30 hours a week as a Teaching Assistant in foundation (4&5 year olds) so my job is quite active.

I am happy to run in any weather (although ice scares me due to injury potential) and am very determined once I set myself a goal.

I've got confirmed entry to MK Half next March and Milton Keynes Marathon next May (again supporting the hospice) and I want to give it my best shot. I'm just back to running after 2 weeks off after slipping while running and twisting my knee so I need to up my game again.

My PBs are:

5K 28:09 and 10K 1:01:17

My hope is to complete the Marathon in under 5 hours.

My usual training is Mon - Body Pump, Tues - run 30 mins, Weds- run 30 mins, Thurs - Body pump, Friday - run 30 mins, Sat - LSR (longest 8.5 m before my knee injusry so I may need to build back up), Sun - rest.

Cheers

Vanessa 

seren nos    pirate
22/12/2012 at 18:07

Oh poor Vanessa.......did noone explain to her that there is a booby prize in the RW competition

Plum    pirate
22/12/2012 at 18:18

and you can shut it as well Blodwyn  

seren nos    pirate
22/12/2012 at 18:38

22/12/2012 at 22:28

Congrats Vanessa, good luck with your sub 5 goal 

22/12/2012 at 22:32
Good luck Vanessa, I shall be watching and listening

(I'm a TA too year 2 )
V4D
23/12/2012 at 06:47

Thanks, only just got the news as I was busy all day yeasterday .

I'm off out in a minute hoping to do at least 4 miles, assuming I don't get blown away in the process.

This week I have done: Mon 2.8m, Tues 3.2m, Weds, 2.5m. Fri 1.5m - none of them particularly fast as I'm building back up after my knee problems.

I'll be back later to let you know how it goes.

23/12/2012 at 08:57
I've only run 2 miles in the last 3 weeks, had a gamy leg...
Thing is my mojo seems to have departed
I'm hoping coming in here will get me back on track!!

Enjoy your run
V4D
23/12/2012 at 09:26

I'm back

4 miles done - best run I've had for ages apart from the vast amount of mud and water. Most of my favourite route is literally under feet of water so much running on the redway roadside paths this morning. It's pretty hard running into the wind today.

Time: 40.29    Distance 4.01m   Avg Pace: 10.06  

Things I need to work on: running slower so I can add on the miles and cutting down on the red wine.

My trainers are now stuffed with newspaper drying and I'm of for breakfast.

Edited: 23/12/2012 at 09:28
V4D
23/12/2012 at 09:29
Spence wrote (see)
I've only run 2 miles in the last 3 weeks, had a gamy leg...
Thing is my mojo seems to have departed
I'm hoping coming in here will get me back on track!!

Enjoy your run

It's awful isn't it - I had 2 weeks like that and all I wanted to do was get out for a run. Hope you manage to get out again soon.

V4D
23/12/2012 at 09:51

So, any suggestions for which plan is best to follow? I've got Shades and RW plans printed so if anyone has used either I'd love to hear what you think.

M...eldy    pirate
23/12/2012 at 10:38

I am sure Plum will have a good old selection for you to use .... if he can just remember where he left them

23/12/2012 at 16:37

*Sits very quietly so not to be spotted by the scary one!*

23/12/2012 at 16:40

I used the RW sub 5 plan last year for Chester and didn't get it, but that says more about me in the last 6 miles than the plan  I used a sub 5:30 RW plan at Windermere and did 5:02 but that was only cos I was determined to beat the "Scary one's" time !!

Plum    pirate
23/12/2012 at 22:52

"Things I need to work on: running slower so I can add on the miles and cutting down on the red wine"

Lets make sure the knee holds out, we have 4 months why not plan at the start to stay at 10's

Red wine reduction can if necessary be proven to have a detrimental effect on distance  

Vanessa I will PM you tomorrow hopefuly with a few idea and suggestions which you are free to ignore completely,

V4D
24/12/2012 at 06:12

happy to stick with the 10s and the red wine boss.

Plum    pirate
24/12/2012 at 12:56

First things first,,,,,

Having broken a mentee two years ago I would prefer it if you could just go out and get the gentle miles in for a couple of weeks just to make sure the knee will hold up once we start increasing, Whilst you can run every day can I sugget you run alternate days to ensure that if you do get any come back from the knee you arent already out running on it when it starts to hurt.
Try to keep the increase in volume down about half a mile a run..... a couple of miles a week at most at the moment. If you can do 6 without any knee problems by mid Jan we are off and running, literally

If you want me to customise a plan for you to make it more specific to your times/life/family/goal time etc I will do it with pleasure, at least that way we can adapt as we go along to fit in with changing goals, circumstances etc.

I am here to be used  

M...eldy    pirate
24/12/2012 at 13:03

You look well used ....

1 to 20 of 185 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.