Should I be weight-training too?

5 messages
06/12/2002 at 13:29
I've got my place for the FLM and although I regularly go to the gym I haven't got much experience of running outside yet. I currently do some of weight-training and I've heard various opinions as to whether I should continue to do weights while training for the FLM, or if I should stop. Any ideas?
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
06/12/2002 at 14:13
I hope your gym has instructors who will make you a tailor made programme. If they do take your running programme with you and explain what you are training for. They should beable to make up a programme that compliments your running.

I go two evenings a week, one of these days is my cross training day and the other I do a short run on the treadmill.

The weights proprammes concentrate on legs and abs but a little bit of upper body too so the arms will be able to take the strain for being swung back and forwards for about 3:15:00 I hope.

hope this helps

SB
06/12/2002 at 14:14
I don't know the answer, but from my own experience, I ran the FLM last year, and have been lucky enough to get a place again next year. I've run for years, and started doing free weights on my upper body twice a week to compliment my running. I now find that I have more strength and drive when I run, and I believe the weights really have made the difference. Running is still my number one sport, but the weights simply seem to improve what I fitness I already have. Also, I certainly look more balanced, previously my legs looked perhaps more muscular than my upper body. Of course it's a fine line between extra strength and being toned, but I certainly don't look like Arnie....
06/12/2002 at 17:11
A bit of weight training is a good idea. But avoid very heavy weights, which might cause your muscles to bulk up too much, which isn't helpful for running.
08/12/2002 at 21:16
No.....If you need convincing just look how slow Frank Burno runs. He is a very fit man, but carries a lot of muscle bulk which slows you down...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.