Slygo

The 7th SuperSix

81 to 100 of 296 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
16/11/2009 at 21:59

I only want to attack my HM time and I've no idea where to start really.

Other than run faster......

16/11/2009 at 22:11

Liverbird the thing that struck about your pb's is the drop from your 5km to your 10km time, that sort of suggests to me that you are maybe doing mostly short runs?

WTS you seem to be fairly solid from 5km to 10 mile then yours fall away a little too. Possibly another candidate for more longer runs.

Yeti, needing 6 mins off your HM and mara will happen, and if you get one I'm sure the other will follow. Try some HM pace runs, maybe start with  3 or 4 mile efforts and slowly build to your doing 7 or 8 at that pace.

CC2, you have improved dramatically and you have good people round you at Redhill, the only negative I see on yours is your marathon compared to your half, but was a good first effort and you will learn from the experience, maybe 3:20 is in range or even 3:15.

16/11/2009 at 22:17
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I only want to attack my HM time and I've no idea where to start really.

Other than run faster......

I think you should start by getting stuck into your 10km time, get that down to 52-53, and you'll be looking at least 1:55 for the half.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
16/11/2009 at 22:18

I was doing short runs Andy, but recently I've been concentrating on LSRs. I'm rubbish at pacing - hence the slow marathon time. The splits are ridiculous. Last marathon was 2.16 half and 4.59 finish but I had major problems in the second half which forced me to slow and I was lucky to get round.

When this bloody SF heals I shall put some more disciplined long runs in!

LIVERBIRD    pirate
16/11/2009 at 22:19

I shall focus on the 10K then Andy - cheers!

Fancy a bimble through the Mersey tunnel then? It's a nice run!

16/11/2009 at 22:33
Andy, 3.15 is my plan for 2011/2012. I'll chip away at it till I get there! I think I'm probably naturally better at shorter distance, 5 mile is my highest WAVA score, but there's more to come from the marathon.
17/11/2009 at 00:25
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

When ?

Can't see Garmin working too well on that one!

17/11/2009 at 00:34
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

When are you next likely to race either a 10km or half. Pick one of each preferably a 10km first then work towards them.

Basic 3 staples of your and to my mind everyones weekly training should be a longer run of slower than race pace, a less than race distance run of around or slightly slower than race pace, and some speedwork.

Example for a 56 min ( roughly 9min/mile)10km runner.

Long run:   8 miles at 9:30 pace.
Race Pace: 5 miles at 9:00-9:10 pace.
Speedwork: Interval session - 5 min warm up, 6 sets of 3 mins at 9:45, 2 mins at 8:30 then 5 min warm down. Gradually build the intervals until doing 10 sets.

17/11/2009 at 01:51

I love it, you rebel Andy ! 

<<ring, ring>>  "RW here, we've been trying to get hold of you all day Mr Sly.  You have been selected to join our Virgin Super Socks team so we must ask for your total discretion in not posting anything til we say so - specially details of your legendary 'Night before a Marathon meal'.  In exchange we will send you a year's supply of free running socks which we will expect you to wear at every event and training session from now until race day.  We apologise for the design on the socks -  We would like to emphasise that this was not our error - we asked the suppliers to provide 'snowy white' socks and as you will see, they sent 'Snow White' socks. We hope this will not affect your running adversely.  Please post a photo of yourself wearing the socks by way of confirmation that you accept this offer of a place on our very special team. Thank you."

17/11/2009 at 06:20

RLTW ...*giggles*  The thought had crossed my mind too

Andy - can see where you're coming from for the less than race distance @ race pace runs.

My week looks something like this:

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Club road session, Hillwork, Time Trial, Intervals - all pretty much flat out (I work really hard here)

Wednesday: Shorter 6 mile easy run

Thursday: Clubtrack session, anything from 300s to 1 mile reps or pyramids. same as Tuesday pretty much flat out

Friday: rest

Saturday: 5k park run (race pace), or 2 to 3 miles with the dog.

Sunday: Long run (16 to 20 miles at the mo, but usually around 10 for half training)

I'm thinking that my club sessions and Saturdays are spot on.  I could prolly work on my mid week run to go a fair bit quicker, and probably longer on my Sunday run at a slower pace.

17/11/2009 at 07:23

Vicki - can I ask which park run you do?  I think you're in/near Newcastle and I didn't think there was one there.  Of course, I could have totally made up both the fact that you're from Newcastle-ish area .  People have been on at me to do park run but until now I've been able to get away with claiming there isn't one near me.....

17/11/2009 at 08:09

I'm indeed near Newcastle - actually in a very windy Bill Quay at the mo!

Sunderland parkrun has been going for 5 weeks now It's at Silksworth - on the Sunderland Harriers 5k route. 

It's deffo worth a go, I've done 2 so far (missed some because of work and illness), there's some canny banter and the routes not too bad - bit of a hill at the finish.

17/11/2009 at 09:47
Morning

My friend lives in Silksworth, have to see if he has been doing the Parkruns.

My aim is to get below the 2 hour mark on the HM. This year for me, it was all about getting my 10K time below 1 hour, which is now a distant memory. I am hoping that the Brass Monkeys will give me a good time for 2010. Up to now I have 3 HM's planned for next year, the aforementioned BM, Liverpool HM and, hopefully, GNR.
17/11/2009 at 11:08

Andy - Many thanks for the suggestion, I had been thinking that I had to do more longer runs.

I've adapted and extended last years FLM plan from 18 weeks to 24 weeks and have included 3x20 miles, 3x18, 1x17, 3x15 and 4x13 runs. Hopefully that will help without being too much and knackering the old legs!!

LIVERBIRD    pirate
17/11/2009 at 12:30
andy sly wrote (see)

When are you next likely to race either a 10km or half. Pick one of each preferably a 10km first then work towards them.

Basic 3 staples of your and to my mind everyones weekly training should be a longer run of slower than race pace, a less than race distance run of around or slightly slower than race pace, and some speedwork.

Example for a 56 min ( roughly 9min/mile)10km runner.

Long run:   8 miles at 9:30 pace.
Race Pace: 5 miles at 9:00-9:10 pace.
Speedwork: Interval session - 5 min warm up, 6 sets of 3 mins at 9:45, 2 mins at 8:30 then 5 min warm down. Gradually build the intervals until doing 10 sets.

I reckon I could do those paces!  I like this thread already. No idea who most of the SS chosen few are! DO you think us regulars have offended RW sufficiently to never get a chance then?

And how on earth are we supposed to choose between Hash and Rio?

17/11/2009 at 12:35
Well having just had a cursory glance at the short listed peeps I notice they are mostly unheard of, to me anyway. And runalot 119 posts !, bargoed 216 posts of which i'll bet 90% have been on the supersix thread, seems a bit wrong that regular contributers get overlooked for  people who are just competition enterers!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
17/11/2009 at 12:36

I'm confused that one (shortlisted) guy has come on there asking for votes with his FIRST post!

So he has NEVER ever posted!

17/11/2009 at 12:36
RunLikeTheWind(www.justgiving.com/Get-Kids-Going) wrote (see)

I love it, you rebel Andy ! 

<<ring, ring>>  "RW here, we've been trying to get hold of you all day Mr Sly.  You have been selected to join our Virgin Super Socks team so we must ask for your total discretion in not posting anything til we say so - specially details of your legendary 'Night before a Marathon meal'.  In exchange we will send you a year's supply of free running socks which we will expect you to wear at every event and training session from now until race day.  We apologise for the design on the socks -  We would like to emphasise that this was not our error - we asked the suppliers to provide 'snowy white' socks and as you will see, they sent 'Snow White' socks. We hope this will not affect your running adversely.  Please post a photo of yourself wearing the socks by way of confirmation that you accept this offer of a place on our very special team. Thank you."

Makes mental note to find snow white socks ! Would they come in a size 9 you think ?
17/11/2009 at 12:38
The photo team have just rung and asked for me to be pictured wearing just the socks whilst holding a pint in one hand and a pie in the other for next months RW.
17/11/2009 at 12:42
Vicki: Graceless Whippet wrote (see)

RLTW ...*giggles*  The thought had crossed my mind too

Andy - can see where you're coming from for the less than race distance @ race pace runs.

My week looks something like this:

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Club road session, Hillwork, Time Trial, Intervals - all pretty much flat out (I work really hard here)

Wednesday: Shorter 6 mile easy run

Thursday: Clubtrack session, anything from 300s to 1 mile reps or pyramids. same as Tuesday pretty much flat out

Friday: rest

Saturday: 5k park run (race pace), or 2 to 3 miles with the dog.

Sunday: Long run (16 to 20 miles at the mo, but usually around 10 for half training)

I'm thinking that my club sessions and Saturdays are spot on.  I could prolly work on my mid week run to go a fair bit quicker, and probably longer on my Sunday run at a slower pace.

Not sure there is anything amiss there, as you are doing the easy day, hard day thing. Maybe your two club nights are both aimed more at shorter distances, and you could do a quickish 6 or 7 instead of the shorter stuff. Or even alternate by doing track one week and 7 quick miles the next ?? 

81 to 100 of 296 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.