Spectator Advice

5 messages
13/10/2002 at 16:38
Doing FLM 2003 and found the thread about where to stay useful. Can anyone advise on family hotels as my wife and 2 kids aged 12 and 10 intend to watch? More important perhaps - can anyone advise where spectators should stand? Is it possible to be near the start and then move elsewhere or is one vantage point the best for the whole run - bear in mind I'n looking at 4hrs plus so they might get bored!!!
13/10/2002 at 17:03
A good spectating strategy is as follows:

- see the start in Greenwich Park (or possibly the blue start in Blackheath);

- walk down the hill through Greenwich Park towards Cutty Sark. It's very busy right at Cutty Sark, but just past there as the race goes towards Deptford (on Creek Road - I think) the crowds thin out pretty quickly (about mile 7):

- take the Docklands Light Railway to Canary Wharf, then view the race there (about mile 16);

- short walk from Canary Wharf to Westferry Circus, then see the race as it comes back towards the City after the loop around the Isle of Dogs (about mile 21);

- then take tube from Canary Wharf to Westminster to meet up with you after you finish.

This should work pretty well - my supporters followed this approach this year and last. One point of caution: I'm not certain whether Cutty Sark DLR station is open on marathon morning, you may need either to go through the foot tunnel to Island Gardens or walk to Greenwich Station. I would advise your supporters not even to try and see you finish, there are thousands of people there. And work out where they are going to be in advance - it is very easy to miss seeing someone, especially when you are tired.

Good luck
14/10/2002 at 09:50
as for a family hotel - try the

County Hall Travel Inn
Belvedere Road, London,SE1 7PB
Tel:0870 238 3300

just over the river from westminster
with a family room rate of about 70
squid - but early booking is essential.

Iron SwissBobby    pirate
14/10/2002 at 10:19
If you are running for a charity, get your kids and wife to cheer the whole charity team on at a charity cheering point.

Last year I ran for the MS Society. My father and sister cheered very near the finish. They were looked after by the charity, given t-shirts and met lots of people who also had friends running for the same charity. This was great as my father is in a wheelchair.

All the best

SB
14/10/2002 at 15:36

Last year, my wife came down after the start and was first at around 13-14 miles. Then she went to the pub behind where she was standing, before crossing the road to cheer me on at around 19-20 miles.

This is a long straight section of road, with plenty of space to stand and it's easy to see people.

Then she got a tube down to the finish. Mind you - she did have quite a wait for me to get from 19 miles to the finish!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.