Sports psychology webchat

Don't miss our Q&A with clinical sports psychologist Victor Thompson on Wednesday 27 March, 1 - 2pm

41 to 57 of 57 messages
27/03/2013 at 13:48
Hazel Reader

Hello Victor.I seem to have lost my love of running.

Basically this time last year I was outside running at least twice a week with one long distance run. No matter what the weather I went outside and loved my running. I entered my first ever race - the Bupa Manchester 10k and I was so nervous that I wouldn't be able to do it, despite the fact I always ran at least 12k on my long runs. Leading up to it I pushed myself to go further, but found it easy, and two weeks before the race day I finally reached half a marathon. Obviously I was happy and proud of my running.

Even though on race day I was still bricking it, believing for some reason i wouldn't be able to run right on that day I did it and got a new 10k personal best. Happy happy.

Then I stopped?! Literally the week after I had no motivation to do anything and that motivation has never come back. Most of my runs have been forced. I get the odd run now and again which I will enjoy but most of them are just painful arguments with myself and I don't know why - usually that I cba to do the distance or my legs feel heavier than normal etc. I still run, but not as often as I was doing. And most of the time its on a treadmill, which is worse. I use the coldness as an excuse, or that I've eaten food that willl give me a stitch. I'm still regular at the gym, and I will push myself with other exercises, although I haven't found a cardio exercise I like other than running.

Is there anything I can do to get my running mojo back? I miss it.

Thanks for reading.

Answer:

Hazel, why do you run? Why did you take it up? What do you get out of it? Do you have a goal (or goals)? Did you reach your goal and then wake up thinking "that's it"? So, you lost your point of running. Do you need to revisit goals or set some? Are you worn out? Would a break help? Can you go out there and take the pressure off, by daydreaming, listening for sounds as you run, enjoying being away from life's stresses????

Victor

27/03/2013 at 13:53
SUE BOVILL TATE wrote   Hi i am a relative newby in the running world, I am nearly 50 and fit & well normally, but befor I run I need to go to the toilet and this is now stressing me out, I can spend over an hour back & forward each time I am going (number 2) and passing something each time, I sometimes am loose with this. I don't suffer from IBS and dont have these problems when I am on a normal day and not running. If I go to the gym I will go to the loo before I start, but within 10 minutes on treadmill I need to go, after 30 minutes running I am in pain and NEED to go, and again passing something each time. Sorry this is a personal & sensative subject but I am sure I'm not alone (well at least I hpe I'm not) I am on the verge of going to my doctor to see if I am normal, but thought there may be some dietry advise or soething you can think of that mey help. I will consider hypnotherapy accupuncture or anything. I have a few runs (10, 15 and 20K) planned over the next few months but when I go for my Saturday Parkrun (5K) I am suffering beforehand, and have gripey pains for 2 - 3 hours afterwards.   Answer Running stimulates the bowels. I know fell runners who never leave the house without loo roll. Hypnotherapy may help but I'd seek a nutritional solution first. Be wary of fibre and caffiene in the lead-up to your runs. Maybe you could see what my other Pro Team Expert, Ruth McKeen says as she's our nutritionist.   Good luck! Victor  
27/03/2013 at 13:59
blonde_runner wrote

Hi Victor, do you have any suggestions on dealing with the frustration that follows an injury or when sickness waylays your training plans? This is particularly when even cross training isn't even an option (I speak as someone in the depths of a horrible "spring" cold!)

Answer: Thanks for your question.

Stuff happens and it is frustrating. It can be worse when you are in the no-mans-land of not knowing if you are fine yet or not, then you do some exercise and feel whacked. (I've had a fair bit of this myself since last July.)

When this happens we need to be brave and make the best decisions for us that helps us to recover, stay relatively fit (maybe through light activities and stretching). Training plans and goals will likely need to be modified and eased.

Try to keep positive, knowing that when you return to fitness you'll really enjoy and savour the training and racing again.

Victor

27/03/2013 at 14:02

Emma H

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your reply. My bad spot is normally around 16miles where I just seem to struggle mentally and slow down. The one thing that keeps me going is: I'm closer to the finish than I was at the start of today.... and also a feel of failure. I want that medal, want that accomplishment.

Answer:

How about keeping on top of energy stores? Having a jelly baby every 2 miles. Guess which one you pull out correctly and get a bonus one???

Are you setting off too fast? Are you starting with enough carbs in your system???

Victor

27/03/2013 at 14:03

Thanks everyone for your questions. Very interesting. I hope my brief replies give you some pointers and maybe help other readers too.

Good luck in all your running exploits.

Victor

27/03/2013 at 14:13

Thanks Victor - really interesting webchat. Thanks for joining us today.

Katie 

27/03/2013 at 14:19

thanks for the advice (for myself & all the others) it is useful reading everyones responses good tips all round

Thanks

Sue

x

27/03/2013 at 15:09

Hi Victor  many thanks for comments I will take on board what you said and enjoy the day Thankyou

27/03/2013 at 16:09

Thanks Victor for your reply to my question! Had definately forgotten what got me into running. Also found the responses to other questions very useful.

27/03/2013 at 17:18

Thanks

27/03/2013 at 17:51
Thanks Victor ???
27/03/2013 at 17:51
That was meant to be
27/03/2013 at 23:13
Thanks Victor,
fab advice to keep friend chilled and hopefully keep myself chilled too!
28/03/2013 at 08:11

Victor - thanks for the tips.  You're right that the answers to some other questions definitely help me too.

28/03/2013 at 19:24

Thanks again. I am glad to have been of help. I hope you all have a good marathon experience, get close to or beyond your goals, and walk away proud. You achieve more than most, by even getting to the start line.

Victor

29/03/2013 at 09:36
Thanks so much, v valuable for me to get your advice
30/03/2013 at 15:39

Cheers Doc!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 57 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.