Struggling to train past 12 miles

8 messages
24/02/2013 at 00:42
Hi - need some advice please I'm hardly an expert but mentally & with training have always been ok with 1/2 marathons. I've been lucky enough to get a place for the VLM and for the past 2 weeks I'm really struggling with the long runs. Should of done 15 last week & struggled to do 12.5 This week only 12 miles So what am I doing wrong ? I suspect I'm not eating property, not sleeping enough (why am I up at past midnight????), not taking gels or the correct isotonic drinks So where do I start guys ? With relatively only a few weeks to go I need to man up, believe in myself along with eating & taking care of myself. Usually a bowl of weetabix/porridge & coffee prior to a 12 miler has always worked but for the last 2 runs I have run out of puff ! Where to start ? Help if you can please
24/02/2013 at 00:45

One thing you don't mention is your pace. Are you just running too quick? You won't (or shouldn't try to) maintain your HM pace for longer distances.

24/02/2013 at 09:06

As RW says above slow down your long runs. For example I am going for a 3:30 - 3:45 marathon time @ 8:30 minute miles but my long runs are (meant to be) closer to 10:00. If you are running close to your HM or Marathon pace each week you are going to be fatigued. 

You can get away at half marathon with a few things that 26.2 miles will punish you for. Start experimenting with gels and drinks and stop worrying so much, a few tweaks will make a difference and hopefully these will restore a bit of a confidence and those sleepless nights should fade.

I have been in a similar position before, do your pacework midweek, slooooooow  on your long run and get some gels and drinks into your routine and things will feel a lot more realistic, acheiveable and just as importantly enjoyable. Good luck

24/02/2013 at 10:08

Agree with Oirish 100%.

What else are you doing? Are doing everything at pace i.e hard, hard hard and do you take day's off to recover?.

Remember, it is the rest days that make you fitter and you must fuel up with carbs for the extra workload - no fancy diets!

I get a minimum of 71/2 hrs sleep each night - how about you?

Eat more, rest more, slow down on the long runs and don't do continuous hard sessions

24/02/2013 at 16:29
FWIW I really struggled with my training when the LSRs went over 13 miles having only done max half marathon before, looking back it was completely in my head in a 'omg I've never run this far before don't know if I can do it' sort of way. Had a couple of tough 14 and 15 milers a few weeks ago, realised I wasn't actually going to die and have been fine since!

Then again it could be any of the above
24/02/2013 at 17:00

How can I slow down for the London marathon when my half marathon pace was really slow (11,5 minute miles) what should I be aiming for pace wise???

kittenkat    pirate
24/02/2013 at 17:13
Kay Beaumont wrote (see)

How can I slow down for the London marathon when my half marathon pace was really slow (11,5 minute miles) what should I be aiming for pace wise???

Kay, ignore pace. Just be methodical with your training now, it's time on your feet. People come in here with well meaning advice but it has never been one generic program fits all. Slowing down only applies in certain situations. Just run/walk consistently from here on in, better that you do continuous 'middle' distances that try and do 'long' runs and feel like crap physically and emotionally after them. Your body will recover and adapt better to exercise at the point you are at, by cutting down the distance in one hit and just doing smaller distance on an almost daily basis and facilitating the adaptation to exercise and micro muscle tears.

01/03/2013 at 00:09
Hi thanks for your wisdom

You are right of course. I am a bit of a one trick pony & only have 1 speed

I will make a big effort to adjust my time for the 16 miler this weekend. I knew the step from 1/2 to full was mentally going to be tough as 1/2 mara as so "easy"

Noticed a big difference on my long mid week run when I'd eaten better & had a decent nights sleep.

However I have a 2 year old determined to sabotage my running hence why I am up now ! Grrr ! Kids !! I love them especially on toast !!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.