Sub 2:30, Anybody up for it?

1 to 20 of 1,059 messages
03/05/2004 at 11:25
As the sub 2.45 thread drifts off into the distance, anybody fancy having a stab at this. I know quite a few managed to get near to or under this mark, so what are your plans now.

Me....Ran 2:33 and plan to try for a sub 2:30 later this year, where I don't know yet.

Br, I know your keen, and I should think Mike B and Smashy will be going for it, although I believe Smashy is waiting till next year.
03/05/2004 at 12:41
Yes Pete, my head is up for it. Hopefully the CV system and legs will follow:)

I'd be interested to see how people plan to get there.

For the summer I'm mainly focussing on getting 5k/10k times down then from July onwards I'll switch back to marathon specific work leading up to Abingdon on 17th Oct. Target here is 2:35.

Then build up a big base mileage in Nov and Dec before an assault on 2:30 at FLM 2005.
03/05/2004 at 13:38
Pete - I haven't made up my mind yet WHEN I'm having a go for 2:30.

It will either be FLM next year, or Florence or La Rochelle in November.
03/05/2004 at 14:20
Pete, I'm in!
I imagine I'm going to come up short, but it won't be for lack of trying...
03/05/2004 at 14:42
Good to see a few up for the challenge.
Pantman, did I not read somewhere that you were doing 100 miles a week? The Abingdon thread I think!
BR, like you, I'll be using shorter races to build up my speed before putting the mileage up for a marathon.
Mike B, can't see you waiting till next year, you were so close!
Good result for you at the nationals, did they call on you or let you rest?
03/05/2004 at 14:43
MB...meant road relays not nationals
03/05/2004 at 18:56
Yep, Pete - but I plod slowly (relatively).
Did my highest ever (120+M) last week and am having an easy week this one (with one race).

Hope to be holding 100M regularly over the coming months with a "down week" and race every 5 or 6 weeks.

But I still have 18lbs to lose = 27secs/mile (approx). Without that loss, I'll be struggling to hit 2:40...
03/05/2004 at 20:00
Well, what the hell, I'm in, but I think I am more interested in hearing about training for 10k such as optimum mileage, good 10k sessions and the like at the mo, so I may be reading more than contributing unless I decide to go for the autumn marathon (or I get a call saying I am going to Ahtens!). If I switch to an autumn marathon, I will decide in July, but otherwise the focus is 10k.
03/05/2004 at 20:45
Smashy, would it be worth doing a 10K schedule with a bias towards a slightly higher mileage and a longer long run, if you are looking to the marathon for next year still? Just a thought...
03/05/2004 at 20:49
And I hope you'll be a regular poster if only to encourage the rest of us, Smashy... :-)
03/05/2004 at 21:15
I am mainly lurking (please let me! :o) and interested about the training. Clearly, 2:30 is many years away and too far out, would possibly need stem cell implants to get there! Need to achieve better times over shorter distances first, that's what I am currently focussing on. If I ever will be in a position to run a sub 32 10k, maybe I would think about it.
03/05/2004 at 21:25
Having done 2:39 at Amsterdam in October last year before getting stress fracture in end jan/feb, I will ideally also be looking to get very close to sub 2:30 at London next April.

Am looking to repeat 2:39 possibly lower a tiny bit this autumn and then have a real push over the winter. Think i missed too much time out earlier this year with fracture to have a realistic chance this autumn already.

My idea is to build up my mileage and get a few solid weeks of ca 80-90 miles under my belt.

Simon
04/05/2004 at 06:15
Pantman, you're right. And that is my plan. 63 last week, 70 this and 80 next. I will then decide whether I go to 90 or whether I have an 80/80/80/60 pattern, 80/80/60 or 60/70/80/60/70/80 cycle. But intend on holding my 10 mile and 15 mile runs as medium and long distance. AS for LSD, my 15 miler this weekend was 5 minutes faster than I have ever done it previously (and I wasn't hanging around before). Hope this means something! So, feedback greatly appreciated from people that have run 32 min or less 10k - how did they get there?
04/05/2004 at 14:09
That is some improvement, Smashy - do you have HR data to compare? Was the HR much higher on the faster run?
04/05/2004 at 14:29
Would love to go sub 2:30. Have been in touch with a running coach and will try to be more professional with my training over the next 11 months. Maybe be ready for FLM next year.
04/05/2004 at 16:05
Did 32:08 a couple of years ago.

The mileage wasn't particularly high (maybe 60 a week) but rep sessions every tursday and thursday with either a rep session, race or long run at the weekend.

The real key I think was the high volume of reps, that's what I have always:
a) run well off
b) enjoyed!

I also think the fact that the race was Eastleigh is significant - it is a VERY fast course (no net drop so legal) with a quality field.

I'm dubious about the merits of running too high milage when training for the 10k, but i guess it depends what works for you, I just find that if I go over a certain limit my body says "no" and running + working + not enough sleep causes my body to break down.
04/05/2004 at 21:55
MikeB, Thanks. It seems that lower mileage is the way to go - I would be interested in what your rep sessions actually consisted of - how they progressed etc. When is Eastleigh? September/October would be handy!

Started Silverstone tonight and dropped out half way despite leading by around 1 minute. Someone please remind me next year that it is not a good idea to do this race 2 weeks after London! Tried it last year and the year before - dropped out 2 years ago and stopped at 5k for 1 min last year and carried on! Not fussed though. Fastest I have got to halfway there! Weather was diabolical to say the least!
05/05/2004 at 02:08
Eastleigh is march. I wasn't training for a marathon that year though.

Victoria Park (Middlesex + Open 10k) in September is a dead flat, 3 lap course. No prizes though, just county medals to those eligable.

As to what my rep sessions consited of, I don't have diaries from that year, but typical sessions would have been.

About 6-9k of volume on a Tuesday, medium (400m - 1000m) length reps - most likely to be on flat grass (football pitches).

e.g. 8 x 1000m off 90 sec jog
10 x 800 off 90s
3 x 1000m, 3 x 800m, 3 x 600m, 3 x 400m off 1:45; 1:30; 1:15; 60s jog

2 x (6 x 500m) off 90s / 3 mins.

Either hills (12-14 x 380m or sometimes more but shorter) on a steep road hill with a jog back recovery or shorter reps (200s or 300s - 4k to 6k volume) again mainly on flat grass in the winter.

At the weekend:
Either - cross country race or tempo run or fartlek on saturday
AND
Either long off road run
or
Long reps (e.g. 6 x 1500m) on Sunday. Sunday reps are on a hilly cross country type course. Often followed by 10+ short (100m) steep hills for leg speed.

You're welcome to see my training this time round in build up to 2:33 at London. I'm now logging on an Excel sheet. I just don't have Excel at the moment on my PC but this will shortly be fixed!!
05/05/2004 at 07:25
MikeB, thanks for that. I would be interested to see your marathon buildup, although I can't think that it would be too different to mine. The area I am so totally clueless on is this 10k millarky. I really don't know how I would cope with just 50 miles a week - did you do loads of cross training to make up some training time? ideally, I would like to be training for 10-14 hours a week.
05/05/2004 at 08:49
Ok - well you can do a little bit more than 50 then, but work towards maybe running 80 miles a week, but with more short runs rather than the one or two longer runs.

If I'm off work, or working "9-5" my week will look like this:

Monday - 2 x 40 min runs
Tuesday - session
Wednesday - 30m AM 50m PM
Thursday session
Friday - 30m AM 40m PM (one run if race is more important)
Saturday - low key race / tempo
Sunday - 90m steady or long reps

however I work shifts and don't often get two runs in like I'd like to, except on rest days, or if I'm working nights.

As for cross training in the autumn I was doing half an hour of core stability work on sundays, wednesdays and fridays (except before big races)
1 to 20 of 1,059 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.